Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times

Advertisements

I just recalled an older one that I actually had seen as a young boy that scared me a bit; House

House Horror Movie Trailer - YouTube

In recent years, another good creepy/scary movie I can mention is Silent Hill:

Silent Hill movie trailer - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post
Darkness Falls

I saw that in theaters when I was only 12. Slept with the TV on every night for always 4 years.
I was not 12 when I've seen it but the beginning of the movie freaked me out like I was 12! It got a bit cheesy later on but the beginning was ...scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
and No Country For Old Men are two recent movies that scared the bejeezus out of me.
Wait..what? No Country For Old Men was scary? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I just recalled an older one that I actually had seen as a young boy that scared me a bit; House

House Horror Movie Trailer - YouTube

In recent years, another good creepy/scary movie I can mention is Silent Hill:

Silent Hill movie trailer - YouTube

I was not 12 when I've seen it but the beginning of the movie freaked me out like I was 12! It got a bit cheesy later on but the beginning was ...scary!

Wait..what? No Country For Old Men was scary? Interesting.
I think No Country For Old Men is scary because it could happen in real life. I spend a lot of time out in the wilderness by myself and would totally do the same thing that Josh Brolin's character did.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
The Ring was the last movie that really scared me good.

Sounds cheezy since it was so mainstream, but it was a great flick.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM

253 posts, read 201,862 times
Have I mentioned "The Strangers" on here yet? Very good suspenseful movie.
Now that I think of it, I think I have. Sorry.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
A Nightmare on Elm Street back in the early 80s was very scary, I still remember those children singing off key while jumping rope. Only the 1st movie, not the sequels, or the new remake.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times
The Innocents, with Deborah Kerr, 1962, still my favorite, still scares me to death. I love the "corner of your eye" kind of scary, what is not seen is scarier than what is seen.

Well, except for Samara climbing out of the well, and through the front of the TV and then . . . jump . . . jump . . . jump forward with that face - ACK! I still get goosebumps just thinking about that (The Ring).

The Haunting is my other old favorite, the sounds, the breathing door, "who was holding my hand?!?"

Blair Witch, that last scene with the guy standing with his back to the camera . . . brrrrrr!

I also read The Exorcist first, so I knew what to expect in the movie and that softened some of the horror, but it still scared the bejeezus out of me.

Have to agree also with the mention of the Karen Black doll part of Trilogy of Terror - really creepy.

A couple other "Honorable Mentions" are a movie called Games with James Caan, Katherine Ross and Simone Signoret, and The Shuttered Room with Carol Lynley, Gig Young and Oliver Reed, both mid-sixties movies, creepy, wonder if they would hold up today.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:36 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
"The Dark Secret of Harvest Home" was a fantastically spooky miniseries. The version they have on videotape (haven't seen it on DVD) has some scenes cut out of it, which annoyed me no end, but when I wrote to the company about it, they said it had something to do with certain rights not being signed or something. In any event, every scene that had one particular actor in it was deleted. Still a good film and it still has the scary elements.

"The Shining" is great, because you get to watch the metamorphosis of a seemingly normal man into insanity. Spooky.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 AM

17 posts, read 31,529 times
I don't normally get scared by movies that often. But there is one which I can not stand, I.t - you know that steven king film with the clown, arghhhhh, I remember seeing it as a child and it scared the hell out of me. It was a tv a few weeks ago and I thought I should try and watch, I' all grown up now and thought it wouldn't scare me... how wrong was I?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM

253 posts, read 201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izbelle View Post
I don't normally get scared by movies that often. But there is one which I can not stand, I.t - you know that steven king film with the clown, arghhhhh, I remember seeing it as a child and it scared the hell out of me. It was a tv a few weeks ago and I thought I should try and watch, I' all grown up now and thought it wouldn't scare me... how wrong was I?
"They float Georgie"

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM

12 posts, read 15,061 times
The Ring, The Grudge. Japanese and Korean horror movies. Mothman Prophesies was creepy and atmospheric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies