U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times

Advertisements

Its kind of mean to characterize someone as a loser. Its especially mean to do so when someone is most likely just going through a particularly rough patch.
Most of us have been there or felt like we have been there at one time or another, hence the humor in relating to the situation. It is what most comedy is based on.
Of course some people have never failed at anything, and so often don't have a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its kind of mean to characterize someone as a loser. Its especially mean to do so when someone is most likely just going through a particularly rough patch.
Most of us have been there or felt like we have been there at one time or another, hence the humor in relating to the situation. It is what most comedy is based on.
Of course some people have never failed at anything, and so often don't have a sense of humor.
Since this is a movie and not a real person, I can call her what I want. Sorry if you identify with her. I've failed at many things over my life-time.

The main character is having a pity-party for herself through most of the movie in spite of having friends and a mother who love her and want to help her. She does absolutely nothing to better her siotuation until the very end. Yes, many people have to reach rock-bottom before they get up but most of them aren't so hopeless about it.

As I said before, I didn't find it a "happy" movie.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
My husband is the worst nit-picker when it comes to movies and actors...through the years he's been right most of the time and he says "Bridesmaid" is good.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
This movie looks pretty funny. Love these characters, plus I'm a big Judd Apatow fan.

I, too, will be awaiting its release onto DVD

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Hangover is MUCH better. While there are some really, LOL scenes, for the most part the main character is sad and pathetic. Her life is just one long "loser" incident after another. Some of the feamle characters are funny but over the top. I saw it with a friend of mine and her first comment as we were leaving was "It's not as funny as my friends said it was." I would still see it but just don't expect too much. It is very gross in parts, like having (TMI) diarrhea in a sink or in the street and puking in the toilet.
I respectfully disagree.
I loved American Pie when it came out (not so with the sequels -ugh). I had to watch it twice because we were all laughing so hard (the whole theater) that I missed some of the dialogue.
I thought Hangover was supposed to be like that. It was barely amusing. In fact, I'll be honest...it was a total waste of time.

When people were comparing Bridesmaids to Hangover, I thought, "Oh, hell, no." But we were stuck waiting a few hours for our flight, so we went and saw it at a local theater...while it wasn't American Pie screechingly hilarious (in terms of how the audience reacted), people were laughing A LOT...and that included me.

It's a way better movie...way funnier.

I think one of the big differences is that you don't like or care about any of the Hangover characters; they are all scummy and nasty. With Bridesmaids (and American Pie), you can kind of be invested in the characters.

I think the lead female character just felt beaten down...and just like success can breed success, having a crappy time can kind of perpetuate itself because of your perspective and attitude. In the end, though, she pulls herself out of it and realizes what she should appreciate in life.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM

49 posts, read 34,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
From what I have seen from the trailers it seems to portray women as just as foul and offensive as men can be. If that is what the story is about, no thanks. Too many nasty movies out there already.
Lighten up.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,756,518 times
I saw this on a plane returning from Europe, in a great mood, so maybe I was easily pleased. But I loved Bridesmaids! Not just funny, but poignant too.

Kristen Wiig's facial expressions are priceless, the film was a triumph for her, probably a career high.

This will go as a new comedy classic for me, probably exceeding Wedding Crashers and Knocked Up.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,132,919 times
Maybe I lack sense of humor but I did not like the movie at least not from a comedy point of view. I don't find people vomiting and having diarrhea in a sink particulary funny.

The acting in general was good and the story of the relationchips between some of the characters interesting but from a comedy point of view I found the movie gross and disappointing.

It looks to me that it is getting more and more difficult to find funny, witty and intelligent movies.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Maybe I lack sense of humor but I did not like the movie at least not from a comedy point of view. I don't find people vomiting and...
You couldn't pay me to see this movie.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Why do you refuse to go to theaters?

I heard the movie was really funny. New age funny though, whatever that means.

I refuse to watch movies in the theaters also. I will not contribute to the overpaid lifestyles of these these actors or the studios that employ them. I wait for it to hit HBO or cable. I am in no hurry to see any movie.

The last movie I saw in the theater was "The Perfect Storm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or