U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 AM

3,864 posts, read 7,064,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Maybe I lack sense of humor but I did not like the movie at least not from a comedy point of view. I don't find people vomiting and having diarrhea in a sink particulary funny.

The acting in general was good and the story of the relationchips between some of the characters interesting but from a comedy point of view I found the movie gross and disappointing.

It looks to me that it is getting more and more difficult to find funny, witty and intelligent movies.
I tend to agree.

I went in this movie thinking it would be hilarious and was sorely disappointed. I went with 2 girlfriends and we all agreed it wasn't half as funny as we thought. Most of the jokes were just stupid and stuff I feel has been done to death (diarrhea jokes).

Id only watch it again if I were bored and it was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Maybe I lack sense of humor but I did not like the movie at least not from a comedy point of view. I don't find people vomiting and having diarrhea in a sink particulary funny
No, you don't lack a sense of humor. It wasn't funny.

The diarrhea scene was not funny in the least. It was actually quite disgusting. It's almost as if the writers got together and said, "What's the most outraaaaaaaaaageous thing that could happen on screen? Ooh, I know, I know! How about one person taking a big, fat, huge dump in a sink, another person vomiting in someone's hair, and another person taking a big, fat stinky dump in the middle of the street while wearing a wedding dress??? Hilarious!!!!"

This whole "let's do the most outrageous thing on TV" thing is getting old to me. Mark my words, the next reality TV series will be replete with scenes of characters battling epic bouts of diarrhea and lubricating in preparation for furious masturbatory sessions. Everything else has already been done and writing creativity is at an all-time low. That has to be next, right?

There are other reasons why this movie sucks. The script is plain awful. That airplane scene should have been 5 minutes tops. Instead, they just dragged it out, and it didn't contain much witty dialogue. This sort of thing happened at various points in the movie. For example, the part where she's doing all of the stunts to get the cop's attention went on far too long. They should have shown three stunts and then moved on. Same thing with the bridesmaid speeches at the beginning. I feel like they went to the well one too many times, which to me, is an indication that the writers couldn't produce enough good material for a 2-hour movie. It's pretty much the same thing as when a DJ plays a song three or four times in one night. Am I the only one who hates that?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

3,864 posts, read 7,064,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Am I the only one who hates that?
No, I don't recall one laugh-out-loud moment. There were scenes that felt like they were building up to something good but never climaxed.

I don't think it was written well. I think Tina Fey could have done it better.

Don't get me wrong though I love Kristin Wiig. But The Hangover was way better.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 AM

885 posts, read 1,272,283 times
I liked it, saw it twice. Only a few slow scenes. I thought it was very Sex & City down to the cast, but it still worked. I picked up on quite a bit of parody in fact.

'I cracked a blanket in half.' LOL!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
My husband is the worst nit-picker when it comes to movies and actors...through the years he's been right most of the time and he says "Bridesmaid" is good.
Quote:
Maybe I lack sense of humor but I did not like the movie at least not from a comedy point of view. I don't find people vomiting and having diarrhea in a sink particulary funny.

The acting in general was good and the story of the relationchips between some of the characters interesting but from a comedy point of view I found the movie gross and disappointing.

It looks to me that it is getting more and more difficult to find funny, witty and intelligent movies.
Well, this is one of the few times my hubby's suggestion bombed really bad.

I agree with hutch5...I was grossed out right at the start, and to think that it was popcorn night with the kids.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
Oh this poor movie. First, I liked it. I'm a sucker for rom-coms. The reason I say poor movie is for some reason all the critics hyped this as the female version of Hangover and just funny as hell. I don't think its that. So while watching I was feeling a little disappointed but at some point I realized it was just because my expectations were so skewed. Once I started thinking of it as a sweetly humorous buddy rom-com I started liking it a whole lot more. I did laugh out loud a few times. The jewlery store scenes. I think the wedding at the end was just amazing as an example of over the top - do people really have weddings like that? I loved the friend aspect, the arc between one friends life hitting bottom at the same time the other friend is hitting a high. I like the other friendships made with Megan and Helen, that was sweet. I think the main character is actually probably a good dramatic actress though only known for comedy. The controversial scene was a bit much for a lot of people yes but that was perhaps one of the few missteps in the movie. The sound track was good. Watched on PPV 4.99

"I cracked a blanket in half" Me too LOL!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
Love Kristin Wiig and agree, her facial expressions are priceless and what made the movie for me.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:06 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,396,550 times
I personally didn't like it a whole lot...didn't care much for Hangover 2 either, although I liked the first.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
No, I don't recall one laugh-out-loud moment. There were scenes that felt like they were building up to something good but never climaxed.

I don't think it was written well. I think Tina Fey could have done it better.

Don't get me wrong though I love Kristin Wiig. But The Hangover was way better.
It was not funny. At. All.

And I actually thought that Tina Fea had written it b/c, like much of her work, the film pretends to be a girl power flick by focusing on a group of women, but then features a main female character who is a pathetic loser whom everyone is supposed to laugh at. And, like Fey's work, it was horribly overhyped as "hilarious."

This is the same, stale Tine Fey-esque plot that has never been funny. I want my money back.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Love Kristin Wiig and agree, her facial expressions are priceless and what made the movie for me.
Agree as well. Though aside from the few Hangover-esque scenes, it felt like more of a drama around her character. I wanted to see more of a turnaround for Annie's character in the end. Was there anything after the credits I might have missed? I wanted to see her open a new bake shop, and maybe marry the Police officer.

Great chemistry between all the actors in this one. Kristin is also beautiful, with a natural look. No plastic face or botox. it made her even MORE attractive.

Hey, despite the romantic-comedy label, Im still a man from Brooklyn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or