U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times

Advertisements

What are the odds that something like this could really happen, and what should she watch out for?

A 40-something woman I know has been half-way keeping in touch with an old boy friend for about 25 years, and he now seems to have some kind of influential job in Hollywood. She sent him a couple of candid pictures, and as he was looking at them on his computer, his casting director walks by and says "Wow, who's that?" CD wants to put her in a picture they're getting ready to shoot. He told the CD he wants her to have a speaking part, she says no problem, fly her out here, we'll put her through acting school, and cast her in a speaking part, which would pay about $50K.

Now, I'd be really suspicious if this was an offer from a stranger, but it's a guy she's known all her life, and trusts, and used to date.

How crazy does this sound? Is this something that simply never happens? Is this a well-known scam? What kinds of questions should she be asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Doesn't make sense that a 40-something female with no experience would be flown out to L.A. based on her pictures. A producer would be the one to make the final determination about who they want in their production, not a casting director. If they're getting ready to start production it doesn't make sense that they'd fly her out here to go to acting school, much less pay a novice with no union affiliation $50k to work on their production. If they hired her she'd only be making the day rate of Union scale - but again, a producer could pay whatever they want.

Story sounds odd.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
Sounds like a load of crap. You think they don't have a line of hot actresses willing to work for nothing outside their back door? Ask yourself, why they would fly someone from out of state on their own dollar that has no experience in acting. They wouldn't

Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
She should ask for a round trip ticket, and make sure it's not booked through Burbank.

Do you know if the movie will be filmed in Chatsworth?

jk...

Seriously, there is no shortage of attractive females in Los Angeles trying to break into the biz. I agree with the poster above that they wouldn't have to fly some novice out here to do a job that could be filled by any number of women already in L.A.

This guy could be pulling her chain.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Unusual, but not impossible. Understand that Hollywood is full of bluster and empty promises that sometimes actually get fulfilled. If you translate the CD speech, it comes down to "This person fits a particular role I have been assigned to cast. There is something about her (whatever) that is unique (it doesn't have to be beauty). Fly her out here so that I can interview. If she isn't a b**** and has some social skills we may be able to use her."

Hollywood types are GREAT at promising everything. It is the follow through that is a bear. Obviously, she would want to find out the name of the CD, who she works for, etc.. If that checks out, the cost of a flight is a reasonable risk.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I haven't talked to her since I posted this, but she knows the name of the CD and I think has already talked to her. She has been told the particulars about the part they want her for, and that it will be shot mostly in Georgia. How does one "check out" people?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,376,989 times
Maybe the picture she sent was of herself naked with her legs spread showing her cooter, we guys take one look at pics like that and our brains go hazy and our judgement skills go foggy

Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I haven't talked to her since I posted this, but she knows the name of the CD and I think has already talked to her. She has been told the particulars about the part they want her for, and that it will be shot mostly in Georgia. How does one "check out" people?
That can be tricky in Hollywood. If she can find what other projects the CD worked on, she'll know the type of work she does. If she can somehow get in contact with one of the actors or crew from a project, usually they will give a guarded opinion, slathered with the butter of praise, or refer the questioner to someone else who knows the situation better.

Frankly, from that brief last post of yours, it sounds legit..

NO contract should be signed without a professional review of it. No need to make a big deal out of it, just "I need a day or two to look this over and digest it, and ask a friend in the industry. I'm sure it'll be fine." If there is an issue - as determined by someone familiar with that type of contract, negotiations should be low key and friendly. Most of the Hollywood types know what is reasonable.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
That does sound bizarre. On top of all the other bizarre details, it's not my impression that anyone would do that, even for a beautiful, promising teen. It's possible that she has a very unusual look, but even so, the most that a sane person would offer would be: "Hey, if she's going to be coming out to L.A., have her stop in for a test."

Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Maybe the picture she sent was of herself naked with her legs spread showing her cooter, we guys take one look at pics like that and our brains go hazy and our judgement skills go foggy
Yamota, were you speaking from personal experience there?
Who knows, may be she is a cougar with a cute cooter?
Outside scenes will be shot in Georgia, then production will move to a SFV studio for indoor scenes...lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or