U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times

Advertisements

I also saw it when it first came out and thought that, while the plot was thought-provoking (and provocative, a nice combination), the orgy was gratuitous; the film didn't need it, and would have been very good if that whole part of the plot had been left out.

The one twist that I did enjoy was Dr. Harford finding out that the prostitute was positive. It was the only reality check that refreshed the film (the others just came across as cavalier, arrogant and cynical) but it also made the orgy/murder mystery seem all the more ridiculous.

The whole "secret sex orgy" premise with the masks was novel yet totally absurd. I know that Kubrick revelled in the absurd almost to the point of humoristic surreality but the orgy was just laughable (although it did seem to stoke pop culture for a bit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I just watched "Eyes Wide Shut" that garnered the excerpted glowing review...

Spoiler
Synopsis
Does anyone agree with the spoiler???

My comment on "Black Swan" was considered prudish...I wonder what you'd say if I were to express my thoughts about this movie...almost every scene was a shocker to me...

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I'm really behind in the changing of times...
Honestly, I just watched it to see all the naked women, and I would never own up to watching it in polite company, just like "Showgirls".

Otherwise, it was a pretty sick and bizarre movie. I wouldn't watch it again.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I also saw it when it first came out and thought that, while the plot was thought-provoking (and provocative, a nice combination), the orgy was gratuitous; the film didn't need it, and would have been very good if that whole part of the plot had been left out.

The one twist that I did enjoy was Dr. Harford finding out that the prostitute was positive. It was the only reality check that refreshed the film (the others just came across as cavalier, arrogant and cynical) but it also made the orgy/murder mystery seem all the more ridiculous.

The whole "secret sex orgy" premise with the masks was novel yet totally absurd. I know that Kubrick revelled in the absurd almost to the point of humoristic surreality but the orgy was just laughable (although it did seem to stoke pop culture for a bit).
I agree!!!

He could have at least tone down the orgy part to make the plot more seductive to the imagination. imo

Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Honestly, I just watched it to see all the naked women, and I would never own up to watching it in polite company, just like "Showgirls".

Otherwise, it was a pretty sick and bizarre movie. I wouldn't watch it again.
Couldn't have said it more succintly!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
I saw it when it first came out about 10 years ago and I still feel today the same I did back then: Eyes Wide Shut is one of the biggest letdown movies I've ever seen. And also one of the slowest. And most boring. It also did nothing for Cruise's career, IMHO. He was much, much better in several other flicks, including Rainman, The Last Samurai, and Jerry MacGuire. Hell, even in Tropic Thunder. As far as Kidman, Eyes merely cemented her rep as a vastly overrated actress.

In all fairness to Eyes, it was much, much anticipated, and in fact I can't at the moment think of a more highly-hyped movie in the past several years, with maybe the exception of The DaVinci Code. So sure, maybe I wouldn't have thought the flick was that bad had it not been for the tremendous foreplay.
But still, it blew. At the end of that movie my eyes were almost shut too!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
What novel are you refering to? I always wondered if it was based, at least in part, on "The Story of O"
This one: "Traumnovelle", by Arthur Schnitzler

Dream Story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am a HUGE Stanley Kubrick fan.

I really enjoyed the film although it wasn't lauded as one of Kubrick's best. I remember hearing about how grueling the schedule and intense the set was and the way Kubrick really put his actors (Nicole and Tom) through a lot of stress. As a director Stanley Kubrick was such a perfectionist. It was rumored to be the pivot point for the end of their marriage.

Oh.. Looky here! Looky here!!!! Check out who attended the premiere afterparty!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3386284032/rg3825179136

Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
JL

7,310 posts, read 11,474,267 times
The memorable part was Nicole standing naked and putting on her bra and slipping off her dress in front of the mirror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or