U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,443,319 times

Advertisements

I just watched "Eyes Wide Shut" that garnered the excerpted glowing review...

Spoiler
Synopsis
Quote:
Stanley Kubrick's daring last film is many things. It is a compelling psychosexual journey. A haunting dreamscape. A riveting tale of suspense. A major milestone in the careers of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. And 'a worthy final chapter to a great director's career' (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times). Cruise plays Dr. William Harford, a New Yorker who plunges one fateful winter night into an erotic foray that threatens his marriage -- and may even ensnare him in a lurid murder mystery -- after his wife's (Kidman) admission of sexual longings. As the story sweeps from doubt and fear to self-discovery and reconciliation, Kubrick orchestrates it with masterful flourishes. Graceful tracking shots, controlled pacing, rich colors, startling images: bravura traits that make Kubrick a filmmaker for the ages are here to keep everyone's eyes wide open.
Does anyone agree with the spoiler???

My comment on "Black Swan" was considered prudish...I wonder what you'd say if I were to express my thoughts about this movie...almost every scene was a shocker to me...

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I'm really behind in the changing of times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,768,827 times
Saw it when it first came out- 1999. Nice visuals. It seemed to be mostly about temptation/infidelity. Alot of people read into it re: the Illuminati etc.(I not into that but alot of movie forums were discussing it), as it was a Kubrick film. Kubrick definitely was a brilliant man- I read his biography and the first time he was nominated for an Oscar, he said to one of his colleagues..."I'm still fooling 'em'...with a wink....

Kubrick knew how to create intrigue...

Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 AM

7,338 posts, read 7,571,577 times
I remember watching it. It was interesting.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM

1,769 posts, read 974,349 times
A shocking lack of chemistry between the then-married Cruise and Kidman, but then, Kubrick was never a director of romantic stories, was he?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
it was based on a novel written in about maybe the 1920s, when the idea of female sexuality was new and shocking. I thought the movie showed the plot's age. It was visually stunning but a non-starter for me in the plot/acting departmens.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

1,716 posts, read 968,487 times
I'm a massive Kubrick fan, but I was disappointed with Eyes Wide Shut. From a lesser director, it would have been a solid, if not spectacular movie. From Kubrick, it fell well below my expectations. To begin with, I really don't think that Cruise and Kidman had the acting abilities to make the film work.

The cinematography was wonderful, and some standard Kubrick devises were fun to watch: for example, the use of human faces functioning as "masks". But, it's the only Kubrick film after The Killing that I wouldn't define as being either great of near-great.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 PM

I agree that Kubrick was noted for his daring exploration of the human psyche's darker side...but the erotic-visuals overrode the otherwise intriguing plot.
As the saying goes, "a woman clad in transparent gauze is more desirable that a woman completely nude."

Finally, I found the sexual scenes disturbing and completely inappropriate for general audience...(thus, my prudish nature concludes.)

Yup...I am behind in times.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM

3,089 posts, read 2,997,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
it was based on a novel written in about maybe the 1920s, when the idea of female sexuality was new and shocking. I thought the movie showed the plot's age. It was visually stunning but a non-starter for me in the plot/acting departmens.

What novel are you refering to? I always wondered if it was based, at least in part, on "The Story of O"

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A shocking lack of chemistry between the then-married Cruise and Kidman, but then, Kubrick was never a director of romantic stories, was he?
Stanley Kubrick was noted in his exploits of the darker aspects of the human psyche.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
It was timely though...in that many people have been married to the wrong person....

Romance isnt really real...is it?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies