U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM

999 posts, read 1,391,626 times

Advertisements

I know it's fiction, but I dunno it just seems too far fetched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Just funnin with ya
Yeah it's far fetched but that's the fun part. I do think the CGI or animatronics or whatever looks really good.

I don't mind remakes if they improve upon it (aka 2009 Star Trek was awesome) remake of "Lost in Space", uh not so much

And this is kind of like a prequel in that it explains in detail how the apes rose to power. Kinda cool (please don't suck )

Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
A Kryptonian refugee falling to Earth to save the world from the vile machinations of Lex Luthor is a bit far fetched too. Still a great movie.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe it's because it's monkeys. I dunno to me it's like a movie about dogs or dolphins taking over the world. It's just blah.

I think that is what I loved about the Planet of the Apes, there was a certain mystery as to how did this happen? You never really thought about it but accepted it. In this movie it just seems somewhat forced and ridiculous.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Actually, I think dogs taking over the world would be a better story. For starters they already are in our homes and there are millions of them in the country. Plus there would be an emotional attachment, I mean not much after they try to kill you but more so than apes.

I mean if I found out apes were trying to kill us I would be like "Kill those motherf*****!" If it were dogs, I would say "How unfortunate." Tis all.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
It could be original depending on how they do it. Apes evolving and gaining intelligence and taking over is pretty far fetched... but ... Let's assume that mankind had help in his evolution and somehow that help was taken away. If some sort of virus or mutanogenic factor causes human beings to revert to a more ape like appearance and nature, then what? Possibly entire underground enclaves of humans might hold up until a cure could be found but by the time they emerge apes had taken over. They'd most likely have instant conflict. Would the man apes hate humanity for their state or would the pure humans hate apes for what they are? If you had 95% of the population becoming apes, they'd drive off the humans into the wild at any rate and possibly force them into a more primitive existence.
The 2001 movie reeked. Hollywood is basically out of ideas so sequels and remakes are all thats left.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe it's because it's monkeys. I dunno to me it's like a movie about dogs or dolphins taking over the world. It's just blah.

I think that is what I loved about the Planet of the Apes, there was a certain mystery as to how did this happen? You never really thought about it but accepted it. In this movie it just seems somewhat forced and ridiculous.
True regarding the mystery aspect...

In fact I am liking the remakes for that reason. It's fun to go back to the old movie/tv show/etc and watch them. I went back and watched the 1968 Planet of the Apes movie. Man the 60s had a lot of ground breaking stuff!! Anyway it will be fun to see it play out in this year's movie.

I kinda want to see it too because the Planet of the Apes movie in 2001 sorta left a lot to be desired. I enjoyed it and all but it seems like they came up with the plot during their lunch hour. This years movies seems (from the trailer anyway) much more thought out and does the "if you assume these 5 things" then yeah this is how monkeys can become sentient beings who then develop (or unleashed) their desire to conquer (maybe it's a trait of primates, who knows).

Anyway it's a fun summer to me in terms of the number of thriller/sci-fi movies I'd like to see. I'm going to enjoy the ride!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It could be original depending on how they do it. Apes evolving and gaining intelligence and taking over is pretty far fetched...
It isn't evolution. It's scientific tinkering. That's evident just from the preview.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 AM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Monkeys today are still more intelligent than humans, they are just playing dumb and acting crazy by screaming loud and slinging their poop at humans so we leave them alone.
But the moment WWIII happens and humans race goes back to Stone Age, the remaning apes will outnumbers, drop their animal-like behaviors and slave the cr@p out of human race.

Mark my words, no scientific gene engineering is needed, just a world wide nuclear war.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
Part of the reason the 1998 sequel sucked so bad was that they had absolutley nobody that could take the place of Charlton Heston. You need a true Icon to do a movie like POTA since thats what Heston was. Who could do it today? Maybe Arny but he's pretty old. Russel crowe, maybe. You need an intensity for the part, somebody larger than life.
I don't see anybody out there today that could do it. As much as I don't like Liam Neeson in many of his films he turned in a performance in "Taken" that was great. He's got the intensity if not quite the star power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or