U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,342,289 times

Advertisements

Its kind of funny how in the last 10 years they have re-made 2 Charlton Heston sci-fi films (and I hear there is also talk of remaking Soylent Green).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
This is how it begins...
Iran To Send Monkey Into Space

Especially true if you have read the original novel.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,416,786 times
I'm a huge fan of the first one and the first one only. The sequals all sucked IMo. WIthout Charleton Heston they were always missing something and the storylines were drab.

BUt otherwise, I think this is a great idea. Hopefully Hollywood doesn't waterdown the storyline in order to enhance the special effects.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Brand new trailer you can watch here:

Awesome New Poster And Trailer For Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes!

Really makes me want to see it.

And really, folks. "Hollywood has no new ideas!" is now officially cliche. Quite bemoaning lack of originality. Pizza isn't exactly original either, but I bet most of you still enjoy a pizza every few weeks. The important question is not, "Is it original?" The important question is, "Is it good?" And this looks excellent.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM

650 posts, read 770,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Another one is on the way. The trailer actually looks decent. They don't look human hybrid (people in costumes) they still look anatomical correct as they do now in the wild and move the same but just intelligent.
I'd like to see one that's a closer adaptation of Pierre Boulle's original novel, almost completely different from any of the many films & television versions.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I'd like to see one that's a closer adaptation of Pierre Boulle's original novel, almost completely different from any of the many films & television versions.
Actually, the Saturday morning cartoon was pretty close to the novel in the design of the world, if not the story.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,275,587 times
I don't know about anybody else but I am AMPED for this frakkin movie! APES ALL THE WAY!!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,095,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not sure about the new flick, but in the old Apes movies, they explained this:

One of the space missions brings back a virus that wipes out all of Earth’s cats and dogs. People begin keeping primates as pets.

Through selective breeding, people breed the larger apes until they are smart enough to perform basic labor tasks. After a decade or so, the apes are smart enough that they are essentially slaves.

Caesar leads the apes in revolution, but they do NOT “conquer” the world. After the revolution, Caesar leads the apes off into the wilderness where they hide out. A year or so later, World War III starts and goes nuclear. Human society wipes itself out, and the apes take over.
Sounds largely correct but wasn't the prequel "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" where Cornelius and Zera go back to the past and have a baby named ceasar, who survives the killing of his parents by humans and becomes the future ring leader of the uprising since technically he represents the intelligent apes from the future in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".

YouTube - ‪Mama! (Escape from the Planet of the Apes, 1971)‬‏

Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Sounds largely correct but wasn't the prequel "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" where Cornelius and Zera go back to the past and have a baby named ceasar, who survives the killing of his parents by humans and becomes the future ring leader of the uprising since technically he represents the intelligent apes from the future in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".
Sort of.

Cornelius & Zira go back in time to the early '70s. They have a baby before they are both killed. Their baby is taken into hiding by the head of a circus, where he grows up, and that's the last scene of the movie.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (which seems to be the primary inspiration behind the new movie) starts when the baby is all grown up. He actually chooses his own name "Caesar" in the movie --- and later leads the ape uprising.

Conquest was a pretty blatant allegory of the Black Power movement, and the climactic scene was inspired by the Watts riots. I think it's for this reason that when I was a kid, they would have an Apes movie marathon on TV once or twice a year, but they never played Conquest. Too political for network TV.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
New trailer

YouTube - ‪Rise of the Planet of the Apes Movie Trailer 3 Official (HD)‬‏

Am I the only one who thinks there is just something awesome about John Lithgow? He manages to make his roles very interesting, this looks worth checking out. I hope I am not disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or