U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks there is just something awesome about John Lithgow? He manages to make his roles very interesting, this looks worth checking out. I hope I am not disappointed.
I've been a fan ever since Buckaroo Banzai. Comedy, drama, horror, or all three at the same time ... there's nothing the guy can't do. A brilliant actor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM

247 posts, read 214,201 times
Looks very good. I'm a James Franco fan so I'll definitely be seeing this.

And holy cow, Tom Felton is in it too!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've been a fan ever since Buckaroo Banzai. Comedy, drama, horror, or all three at the same time ... there's nothing the guy can't do. A brilliant actor.
I agree, he has a great presence and skill he brings to his roles. He reminds me of Michael Caine, only American rather than English.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
First review I've seen of the movie, and it's a rave.

Review: Hail, Caesar! 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' delivers - CNN.com

Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM

128 posts, read 245,197 times
We saw it today. Overall an enjoyable movie. I thought it would be a lot scarier from the trailer but it really wasn't. Please don't read on if you don't want it spoiled.....

That said I didn't like the casting. John Lithgow's character and the actor who played Mr Jacobs I liked, but the main character played by James Franco and his love interest just didn't do it for me. It was just hard for me to believe him as a scientist/lab guy. And his love interest, it didn't seem like they had chemistry. John Lithgow was fabulous though. The special affects were AWESOME and they really looked real the whole time. Even the gorilla. The violent scenes where they were trying to take over was much more pg then it looked on the trailer, not thats a bad thing, just different. The ending was disappointing to me.

Overall worth seeing just for the graphics. I'm interested to know others opinions.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM

128 posts, read 245,197 times
* I meant effects! Always mix those two up!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 AM

13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm a huge fan of the first one and the first one only.
Me, too. In fact I watched the original again last year and thought about how great it was. This one looks good and it got a good review in our paper, which is rare. One summer movie I'd definitely plan to see. 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes': Movie review - latimes.com

Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
Saw it yesterday, opening day about 5pm.
There were only a few people (its a 30 multiplex) I was surprised.
My 15 yr old son/dh thought it was great. I was expecting something else.
A bit less of the cutesy muppety stuff. It took a long time for the mayhem to start (looked great in the trailer) I expected it to be a bit "rougher".But, overall ,fun special effects,big screen,big sound, made for a good summer popcorn movie. Nothing I could sit thru again though.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,314,281 times
I saw it last night, and I loved it. Most fun I've had at the movies in at least a year. (I am not a sci-fi buff, and didn't care for the original all that much.) I highly recommend. You will be cheering for the apes, knowing full well they are eventually going to take over the earth! It is what a summer movie is supposed to be.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-07-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I am sorry but this looks stupid.

First of all, the apes look fake as hell. I mean they look good but at the same time very fake. I think it would drive me crazy having to watch them throughout the movie.

Second, where does this take place at San Fran right? I don't understand how 25-50 apes (the make it seem like there are quite a few dozen) can start taking over the world in a metro where there is about 5 million people in the country with the strongest military in the world. To begin with how many apes are actually in cities? They make it seem like there would just be thousands upon thousands of apes in American cities.

The apes could easily cause some damage, but if this is really how the Planet of the Apes became the Planet of the Apes it just looks to stupid to me. Sorry it is just too far fetched for me. It's going to flop.
-SPOILERS-

The chimps DO NOT defeat the humans.
This is what everyone keeps saying for some reason.

The virus that enhances the chimps kills humans.

The virus spreads and kills most humans.
The apes fill in the void and become the dominant specie.

And also if anyone noticed during the movie they showed a newscast about a spaceship lost in space.

In the original the people that return from space find the planet taken over by chimps after being away for years sleeping in a chamber.

This movie was set in 2019 the same year the ship left earth in the original movie.

So that sets up the sequels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or