U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In the original, humans hadn't died out but had lost the ability to speak and been reduced to barbarism.
Well didn't mean literally just that they died out of the top
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM

10,652 posts, read 11,343,767 times

Anybody notice how they slipped in the Heston space flight to Mars that gets LOST in Space and crash lands 3000 years later?? The Icarus?? They showed them blasting off for space during all of this!! Sweet!

This movie explained everything! IT ROCKED!

1. How the virus was air borne....thus spread so fast.... by a pilot!

2. HOW THE SECOND DOSE OF GAS BROUGHT ON "SPEECH" FOR CAESAR.

3. I think the virus not only killed off some humans but , where it increased the intelligence of Apes, I bet it decreased the intelligence of humans over time.

Can't wake to see the sequel when the nuclear war goes down! and we get this...

Also....I liked how they didn't play the black guy as the "sympthetic to the oppressed" guy, like in the original "Rise"! This guy was a money grubbin' scumbag!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,820,904 times
Default Why do people leave so fast?----spoiler alert

A credit came up at the end and most of the audience started to rush out. Then the most important story line came on. It was funny. Most stopped in mid stride, some sat back down but the majority just left and didn't see the most important clue to what happened to the humans.

I was glad I saw it with my hubby. He explained the background of the first movie and some subtle story lines like the space ship going to Mars, etc. I didn't see the guy sneezing on the neighbor who was a pilot. The medicine made chimps increase in intelligence but killed humans.

I had to go pee and missed the father dying and telling his son to stop experimenting with the drug to cure ALZ. I didn't care that the actor who played the scientist was not a icon actor since he was just a scientist trying to cure a dread disease to save his father. He was good in the role of a scientist trying to help but making things worse. It's not smart to just be a scientist who wants to help people and also make a ton of money with a new drug, they need to stop and see what their experiments could do to our species.

There was a lot of little things that made no sense to me anyway, like letting Caesar keep his clothes on when they put him in with the other chimps, etc. Also, hundreds of male chimps all kept in the same enclosure? That would not be done by zoos as far as I know, to keep down aggression. It was more like a prison than a zoo.

I told my hubby---"All Caesar needs is some good, hot, monkey love and he would be fine. LOL I didn't see any female monkeys or babies. We all know from studies, females in society calms male aggression. It was scientific to a point, then the scientists ignored other studies at the zoo. Most zoos now understand animals better and how to make a better environment for them.

In all it was an enjoyable movie for the summer and did have some good lessons and issues to think about but I doubt apes could organize themselves into a fighting army and conquer the world until they evolved naturally and that takes millions of years. The monkey army in this movie suddenly knew military tactics to fight without even a organized plan? HMMMM.

We had been to San Fran earlier this year so I did enjoy the setting and saw places we had visited. That was a side note for me and probably all who know the area.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There was a lot of little things that made no sense to me anyway, like letting Caesar keep his clothes on when they put him in with the other chimps, etc. Also, hundreds of male chimps all kept in the same enclosure? That would not be done by zoos as far as I know, to keep down aggression. It was more like a prison than a zoo.

I told my hubby---"All Caesar needs is some good, hot, monkey love and he would be fine. LOL I didn't see any female monkeys or babies. We all know from studies, females in society calms male aggression. It was scientific to a point, then the scientists ignored other studies at the zoo. Most zoos now understand animals better and how to make a better environment for them.
The Apes flicks have never paid too much attention to genuine ape behavior. In the old films, the chimps were the peaceful intellectuals, the orangutans were the politicians, and the gorillas were aggressive soldiers. Which is all backwards. In real life, gorillas are actually the gentlest of all the apes, and chimps are the most aggressive, sometimes even going cannibal.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times
Quote:
A credit came up at the end and most of the audience started to rush out. Then the most important story line came on. It was funny. Most stopped in mid stride, some sat back down but the majority just left and didn't see the most important clue to what happened to the humans.

I was glad I saw it with my hubby. He explained the background of the first movie and some subtle story lines like the space ship going to Mars, etc. I didn't see the guy sneezing on the neighbor who was a pilot. The medicine made chimps increase in intelligence but killed humans.

I had to go pee and missed the father dying and telling his son to stop experimenting with the drug to cure ALZ. I didn't care that the actor who played the scientist was not a icon actor since he was just a scientist trying to cure a dread disease to save his father. He was good in the role of a scientist trying to help but making things worse. It's not smart to just be a scientist who wants to help people and also make a ton of money with a new drug, they need to stop and see what their experiments could do to our species.

In all it was an enjoyable movie for the summer and did have some good lessons and issues to think about but I doubt apes could organize themselves into a fighting army and conquer the world until they evolved naturally and that takes millions of years. The monkey army in this movie suddenly knew military tactics to fight without even a organized plan? HMMMM.
Well you did see female chimps.
When cesar first sees the alpha he is being groomed by his mistresses.
You don't remember that?

And Ceaser was teaching them many things before they went out to battle.

And it wasn't organized but Caesar was telling them as they went.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
I saw the movie yesterday afternoon. There were 15 people in the Theater. I guess people in Portland don't feel the need to buy a ticket for this particular movie. With all the freaks and human apes that one can see here for free why buy a movie ticket.

Overall I liked the movie but the original one with Heston will always be my favorite. This latest one was good but I was somewhat disappointed with it also. It took forever for the apes to break out and the takeover was somewhat ridiculous. The location also was odd for this type of movie. San Fran, apes in the redwoods. Somehow I can't see apes surviving very long in the damp cold Redwoods. Where's the bananas? As far as the cast. John Litgow and the main ape Ceasar made the movie, and their characters were well played. I didn't really care for the remainder of the cast. Somehow they just didn't fit the parts they played.

Overall a good movie and I would recommend seeing it.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 AM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've been a fan ever since Buckaroo Banzai. Comedy, drama, horror, or all three at the same time ... there's nothing the guy can't do. A brilliant actor.
I am not sure if I became a fan of him after Buckaroo Banzai or The Manhattan Project but he is definitely a great actor who imo is a bit under rated for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin-on-up2011 View Post
That said I didn't like the casting. John Lithgow's character and the actor who played Mr Jacobs I liked, but the main character played by James Franco and his love interest just didn't do it for me. It was just hard for me to believe him as a scientist/lab guy. And his love interest, it didn't seem like they had chemistry. John Lithgow was fabulous though.
I totally agree with this part, Franco was wrong for the part and further more he couldn't really pull it off either. Even worse was the forced romance/relationship between him and that Indian actress (whose looks are overrated by the media imo). There was zero chemistry between them.

Quote:
The special affects were AWESOME and they really looked real the whole time. Even the gorilla.
Gorilla had decent CGI but apes looked fake imo. I am sorry but I can always tell the CGI and that always takes away from the movie but still, the graphics were nothing horrible like the one in Hulk.

The movie was, overall, enjoyable and worth seeing.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM

541 posts, read 796,887 times
Saw the movie last night with my father out of pure boredom and the movie was one of the worst I've seen. It was flat out boring, unimaginative, and mundane. The city newspaper gave the movie a B+. I gave the movie a solid F. I don't know which was worse, this movie or Hannah that came out in April.

I think I'm getting too picky on movies I like, that or Hollywood is making junk that continue to disappoint me.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,111,816 times
By far my favorite movie of the summer. They actually developed a story and characters - two things most movies don't bother with anymore

Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,095,896 times
Quote:

The story line that made this segment work was the parallels the director made between caesar and taylor, Charleton Heston, of the original "Planet of the apes"

The hose down, the leash, being unable to speak etc..

The ape and the astronaut went through the complete same thing 3,000 years apart which portrayed both races doing a complete reversal until the Humans began to rise again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or