U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM

526 posts, read 412,003 times

Advertisements

I've been a huge fan of the original "Planet of the Apes" movies since I was a kid, and after reading a very good review of this movie, I decided to see it. What a disappointment.

I liked the tie-ins and homage to the original film ("Get your stinking paws off me you damn, dirty ape!) and I appreciated that they made an effort to somehow fit this movie logically into the chronology of the original film, but I think it fell flat for several reasons:

-I think the CGI apes in this movie were not as realistic as Rick Baker's makeup on the Mark Wahlberg "Planet of the Apes" movie (which otherwise was a HORRIBLE movie!)

-While I like James Franco as an actor very much, he didn't bring much to this role. It was kind of a flat, wooden performance

-The romance between James Franco's character and the Indian actress (sorry, can't remember her name) was somewhat useless and didn't move the story along in any way. And what happened to her anyway? They just kind of dropped her from the movie just as things got going.

-The whole idea of the virus didn't make any sense. The dad (John Lithgow) was the only human injected with the virus, and it didn't make him sick at all. His alzheimer's was cured until his anti-bodies overcame the virus. But the lab assistant (Franklin) just got a whiff of the virus during the experiments on that other chimp, and he got sick, start bleeding all over the place, and died. ?????
I love fantasy movies and science fiction, but one thing I demand is that movies have an internal logic. In other words, in the context of the world portrayed in the film, did what just happened make sense, even if it doesn't in the real world? This did not pass that test. If Franklin got sick and died from the virus, so should the dad. Yes, he did die in the film, but it seemed he died from his alzheimers/dementia, not the virus. And if his anti-bodies fought off the virus and rendered it useless, why didn't other people's anti-bodies do the same?

-I agree that the setting in San Francisco wasn't the best choice. So now Ceasar and his fellow apes live in Muir Woods- even if humanity is almost wiped out from either the virus or war, how does this small band take over the world? - assuming that is where the sequels are headed. In the original series of movies, apes were bred and kept as pets then servants for a number of years before the revolt. They were everywhere. So it made a bit more sense that they had the numbers to take over.

And yes, I am completely over-analyzing this movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:57 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
This was not a bad movie, but it really had that 'Curious George' quality about it, and James Franco was outstanding as The Man in the Yellow Hat. lol

Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post

-The whole idea of the virus didn't make any sense. The dad (John Lithgow) was the only human injected with the virus, and it didn't make him sick at all. His alzheimer's was cured until his anti-bodies overcame the virus. But the lab assistant (Franklin) just got a whiff of the virus during the experiments on that other chimp, and he got sick, start bleeding all over the place, and died. ?????
I love fantasy movies and science fiction, but one thing I demand is that movies have an internal logic. In other words, in the context of the world portrayed in the film, did what just happened make sense, even if it doesn't in the real world? This did not pass that test. If Franklin got sick and died from the virus, so should the dad. Yes, he did die in the film, but it seemed he died from his alzheimers/dementia, not the virus. And if his anti-bodies fought off the virus and rendered it useless, why didn't other people's anti-bodies do the same?

The father got the first version of the vaccine.
Which was apparently safe for humans. But it was only temporarily effective.

What the scientist got infected with was the second version(Upgraded) of the vaccine.

Remember since the first one was taken over by the human immune system he created a second one that couldn't be taken over?

The second one though had fatal side effects.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:21 PM

10,652 posts, read 11,343,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I've been a huge fan of the original "Planet of the Apes" movies since I was a kid, and after reading a very good review of this movie, I decided to see it. What a disappointment.

I liked the tie-ins and homage to the original film ("Get your stinking paws off me you damn, dirty ape!) and I appreciated that they made an effort to somehow fit this movie logically into the chronology of the original film, but I think it fell flat for several reasons:

-I think the CGI apes in this movie were not as realistic as Rick Baker's makeup on the Mark Wahlberg "Planet of the Apes" movie (which otherwise was a HORRIBLE movie!)

-While I like James Franco as an actor very much, he didn't bring much to this role. It was kind of a flat, wooden performance

-The romance between James Franco's character and the Indian actress (sorry, can't remember her name) was somewhat useless and didn't move the story along in any way. And what happened to her anyway? They just kind of dropped her from the movie just as things got going.

-I agree that the setting in San Francisco wasn't the best choice. So now Ceasar and his fellow apes live in Muir Woods- even if humanity is almost wiped out from either the virus or war, how does this small band take over the world? - assuming that is where the sequels are headed. In the original series of movies, apes were bred and kept as pets then servants for a number of years before the revolt. They were everywhere. So it made a bit more sense that they had the numbers to take over.

Yes...you are in extreme analysis paralysis......

There were two viral mixes.....one was a serum (#12) a blue liquid taken by injection, the second one (number 13) was the gas! That was the one that Caesar opened at the house and got a wiff of and it put him over the top by giving him speeech! He then took those canisters to the apes and gassed them all.

Remember...Franco never gave his dad the gas version (that was the more untested one).....his dad didn't want it. Franco honored his request and let him die. Franklin died from the gas version (#13). Exposed when his mask was knocked off in the lab.

How do they take over the world? They wait them out probably....they keep having babies while man dies and his intelligence decreases from that virus. That's what sequels are for!

It all made sense! The pilot spreading it explained how the whole world got exposed!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM

10,652 posts, read 11,343,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
The story line that made this segment work was the parallels the director made between caesar and taylor, Charleton Heston, of the original "Planet of the apes"

The hose down, the leash, being unable to speak etc..

The ape and the astronaut went through the complete same thing 3,000 years apart which portrayed both races doing a complete reversal until the Humans began to rise again.

Remember the scumbag ape keeper yelling, "IT'S A MADHOUSE!!!" LOL! Caesar was playing with a Statue of Liberty toy??
Caesar's mom was named "Bright-eyes".....

Did the humans ever rise again??

Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,095,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Remember the scumbag ape keeper yelling, "IT'S A MADHOUSE!!!" LOL! Caesar was playing with a Statue of Liberty toy??
Caesar's mom was named "Bright-eyes".....

Did the humans ever rise again??

I caught it all and it paid a lot of homage to the original series and its fans. It was filled with trivia that made it worth the price of admission even more.

I'm sure the humans either did have the potential to rise again but all life on earth was terminated by Taylor when he activated a nuclear type device in the movie "beneath the planet of the apes" The only survivors were cornelius and zera when they escaped in a space craft, travelled back in time, and gave birth to Caesar who grew up to start the chain of events. (now altered by rise).

Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I caught it all and it paid a lot of homage to the original series and its fans. It was filled with trivia that made it worth the price of admission even more.

Yeah, they were homages. Just like you see in the Terminator movies or the first of the Micheal Bay Transformers. Even Batman & Robin (gag) was somewhat of an homage to the old 1960's campy Batman tv show... which was horrible.

And for all of you saying you didn't like the movie, it's fine. You have your opinions, I understand. BUT, lazy? Borring? UNIMAGINATIVE? Are you serious?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM

541 posts, read 796,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And for all of you saying you didn't like the movie, it's fine. You have your opinions, I understand. BUT, lazy? Borring? UNIMAGINATIVE? Are you serious?
Yes, I stand by what I said in my last post. Hey, it's my opinion!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,820,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yes...you are in extreme analysis paralysis......

It all made sense! The pilot spreading it explained how the whole world got exposed!

Well most of the audience left before they showed the most important clue. I don't know why people do that. When the first credit comes on they get up and rush out.

I like to stay after most movies to see the credits anyway and more movies are showing more of the movie in credits. I guess people have not learned that.

I can understand how people do not know what happened to the humans if they didn't stay to see that small part.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,640,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Another one is on the way. The trailer actually looks decent. They don't look human hybrid (people in costumes) they still look anatomical correct as they do now in the wild and move the same but just intelligent.
trailer looks terrible. looks like total CGI crap, right down to the "lead ape's" little human-like expression that they sell in every trailer. looks stupid.

oh, and there arent enough apes on the planet to conquer humanity, no matter how smart they are. so, we're supposed to buy into the human race being conquered by a few club wielding apes? this movie is going to SUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or