U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,640,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Brand new trailer you can watch here:

Awesome New Poster And Trailer For Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes!

Really makes me want to see it.

And really, folks. "Hollywood has no new ideas!" is now officially cliche. Quite bemoaning lack of originality. Pizza isn't exactly original either, but I bet most of you still enjoy a pizza every few weeks. The important question is not, "Is it original?" The important question is, "Is it good?" And this looks excellent.
excellent? i dunno, dude. is this a Michael Bay film? Roland Emmerich? just seems like CGI and action sequenses is what they're sellin' here. does it have a few poignant moments? possibly. but this, to me, looks to be overall pretty bad. not 2012 bad, but still bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,532,672 times
I thought it was pretty good.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 AM

650 posts, read 770,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Actually, the Saturday morning cartoon was pretty close to the novel in the design of the world, if not the story.
I wasn't aware of the cartoon until recently... I see that you're right about the similarity to the novel.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM

10,652 posts, read 11,343,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yes...you are in extreme analysis paralysis......

There were two viral mixes.....one was a serum (#12) a blue liquid taken by injection, the second one (number 13) was the gas! That was the one that Caesar opened at the house and got a wiff of and it put him over the top by giving him speeech! He then took those canisters to the apes and gassed them all.

Remember...Franco never gave his dad the gas version (that was the more untested one).....his dad didn't want it. Franco honored his request and let him die. Franklin died from the gas version (#13). Exposed when his mask was knocked off in the lab.

How do they take over the world? They wait them out probably....they keep having babies while man dies and his intelligence decreases from that virus. That's what sequels are for!

It all made sense! The pilot spreading it explained how the whole world got exposed!

You got it!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I've been a huge fan of the original "Planet of the Apes" movies since I was a kid, and after reading a very good review of this movie, I decided to see it. What a disappointment.
This is why I'm glad I didn't read any reviews about this movie before I watched it tonight...because I loved it for what it was...for someone who hasn't really followed the series religiously, to me it simply told a story that all people can relate too...and that is one of dignity...I loved it for that...

Quote:
I liked the tie-ins and homage to the original film ("Get your stinking paws off me you damn, dirty ape!) and I appreciated that they made an effort to somehow fit this movie logically into the chronology of the original film, but I think it fell flat for several reasons:
Again, not being one who ever really followed the series...I went into it unbiased...although I did recognize these primate characters from the 'Planet of the Apes' movie that came out a decade ago or so...expecially the Orangitang...but in the movie planet of the apes, I'm was confused about which one in Rise of the apes turned into the villian monkey in Planet of the apes...

Quote:
-I think the CGI apes in this movie were not as realistic as Rick Baker's makeup on the Mark Wahlberg "Planet of the Apes" movie (which otherwise was a HORRIBLE movie!)
If I remember correctly, what I didn't like about this movie is that all the 'bad' apes were 'dark skinned' and all the good or intellegent apes were 'light' skinned...including the female ape...and I remember thinking to myself...'oh here we go again, man injecting is color scale even into the kingdom of animals'...

Quote:
-While I like James Franco as an actor very much, he didn't bring much to this role. It was kind of a flat, wooden performance
Yes, I remember him from Spider man...his father was the lantern or something...and he thought Spider Man killed his father...boy he's sure grown up since then...I thought he did ok in this film...

Quote:
-The romance between James Franco's character and the Indian actress (sorry, can't remember her name) was somewhat useless and didn't move the story along in any way. And what happened to her anyway? They just kind of dropped her from the movie just as things got going.
I'm glad they didn't over develop this romance...I don't go to sci-fi movies to see romances...and frankly get tired of every movie genre feeling they must always inject a boy meets girl romance into the movie...if I want romance I'll watch a soap opera...

Quote:
-I agree that the setting in San Francisco wasn't the best choice. So now Ceasar and his fellow apes live in Muir Woods- even if humanity is almost wiped out from either the virus or war, how does this small band take over the world? - assuming that is where the sequels are headed. In the original series of movies, apes were bred and kept as pets then servants for a number of years before the revolt. They were everywhere. So it made a bit more sense that they had the numbers to take over.

And yes, I am completely over-analyzing this movie!
I agree with you on this one...

I think realistically, the population would of had to be far more weakend in order for the revolt to occur...if we can hunt down Al Quida and the Taliban...I'm sure law enforcement would of easily tracked down and wiped out the escaped apes...very easily...they would not have just let the apes escape to the red wood and forget all about it...(just look at the masiquer that occured in Ohio late last year when that guy release those tigers and bears into the wild, look how quick they were nuetralized)

Realistically such an event would of made world wide news...and the army, marines, swat all would of been called in...for sure...

So your right in that in real life, in order for such a revolt to occur, most of the human race would already have to be vanquished or very weak from that virus...like literaly to weak to walk or pick up a weapon, for such a ape up rising to occur...

They kind of rushed that part...

Over all I enjoyed the film...I actually liked them more when they acted like apes though...the more they started acting like 'humans' near the end, and showing human expressions, the less close I felt to them...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM

9,447 posts, read 7,595,884 times
I saw the movie for the first time on Saturday and thought it was not as good as the originals. Apes jumping out of the uppper floors of the lab and hitting the ground would have died on impact. I hate CGI.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I saw the movie for the first time on Saturday and thought it was not as good as the originals. Apes jumping out of the uppper floors of the lab and hitting the ground would have died on impact. I hate CGI.
Ye, your right about that...there's no reason why a movie can't make characters obey the laws of physics, and still be believable...

But your right, ape or no apes, the laws of physics still apply...

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,687,347 times
Loved loved loved this movie. It was brilliant on so many levels!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I agree with you on this one...

I think realistically, the population would of had to be far more weakend in order for the revolt to occur...if we can hunt down Al Quida and the Taliban...I'm sure law enforcement would of easily tracked down and wiped out the escaped apes...very easily...they would not have just let the apes escape to the red wood and forget all about it...(just look at the masiquer that occured in Ohio late last year when that guy release those tigers and bears into the wild, look how quick they were nuetralized)

Realistically such an event would of made world wide news...and the army, marines, swat all would of been called in...for sure...

So your right in that in real life, in order for such a revolt to occur, most of the human race would already have to be vanquished or very weak from that virus...like literaly to weak to walk or pick up a weapon, for such a ape up rising to occur...

They kind of rushed that part...

Over all I enjoyed the film...I actually liked them more when they acted like apes though...the more they started acting like 'humans' near the end, and showing human expressions, the less close I felt to them...
You are forgetting about the virus that was killing the humans. So even if they went after the apes, they would die because of the virus.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
I just saw this on bluray and enjoyed it. I liked some of the inside references to the original Planet of the Apes. Here are some I caught:

Caesar's mother is called "bright eyes" which is the nickname given to Charlton Heston character Taylor by the ape scientist Zira in the original movie.

The orangutan is called Maurice and the in the original movie the orangutan Dr Zaius is played by the actor Maurice Evans.

There's a scene where stupid assistant at the ape compound shoots a water hose at Caesar in the cage. The exact same scene happens to Taylor in the original movie.

As the apes go berzerk in the cages, the stupid assistant is heard yelling "it's a madhouse, a madhouse". Charlton Heston's Taylor yells the same thing in the cage in the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or