Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
When this movie was beaten out for best picture by "Shakespeare In Love" I gave up on watching award shows.
Apples and oranges.
Shakespeare in Love was an astonishingly well-written play-within-a-play (Tom Stoppard and Marc Norman) and IMHO deserved its Oscars. Its literacy and humor are as sumptuous as its costumes; but there was a bittersweet tone as well, because that's how life is.
One of my favorite scenes was when the stuttering tailor who can never get his lines right during rehearsal. His ultimate performance says all that can be said about art and life.
Spielberg was awarded an Oscar for his direction of Saving Private Ryan, and he certainly deserved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
When this movie was beaten out for best picture by "Shakespeare In Love" I gave up on watching award shows.
Yep, thats the one. I was certain that Saving Private Ryan would have won the best picture, but noooooo. I havent watched the Oscars since.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times

"I'm shocked! Shocked!"

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

Belle enters the Beast's castle (Disney's version is a joke compared to this)

Hoichi performs, The Battle of Dan-no-ura. Haunting, beautiful, and true. Exceptionally well done.

The Lion in Winter has many great scenes, but this one is treachery served with treachery sauce presented on a platter of treachery.

Part 2

That's it for now. I'm tired.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 AM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
I kind of like the Balloon Man scene from Minority Report, I guess the entire escape from Pre-crime through the mall counts.

The very best scene is from Forest Gump. It's more of a sequence like the Mill Scene above.

Forest is standing at Jenny's Grave talking to her, and he tells her about while he was running, that out in the desert he couldn't tell where the Earth ended and Heaven began.

I guess it's so powerful because I've been there. I have been in the desert, in the evening and there is a point where it's hard to tell where the Earth ends, and Heaven begins.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:52 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
The last dance of "Dirty Dancing" after PS says "Nobody puts Babe in the corner."

"12th Knight" has a scene that is absolutely electric and the best acting I have ever seen by all three actors in the scene when King Arthur walks in on the Queen and Sir Lancelot.

Last edited by NCN; 08-10-2007 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I also really dig the end of ''The Lost Boys'' when Edward Herrmann turns into the Head Vampire....

ThE LoST BoYS (part 10) (broken link)

Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
1. The Patriot where Mel Gibson charges while holding the American flag and shouting "hold the line" as the bullets and cannonballs whiz by. Nice rousing moments throughout the final battle.

2. True Lies where Arnold kisses Jamie Lee Curtis to the soft music as the mushroom cloud explodes in the background...interesting juxtaposition.

3. Something very emotional for me recently....in "Cars" where Sally takes Lightning McQueen to the ledge and he realizes how much the Interstate and sprawl has taken away from us. That was a VERY sad sequence.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
So many it's hard to pick just one ...

1. Legends of the Fall ... Tristan Ludlow returned home after being gone for many years ... oh my goodness when he rode up over that hill ... what a sight to behold!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Without thinking too hard ...

Dr. Stranglove - Gen. Jack D. Ripper's monologue where he discloses his concern about "precious bodily fluids"

Sideways - Wallet retrieval scene, in which Miles descends to a new low for reasons of friendship

Glengarry Glen Ross - Alec Baldwin scene, and Jonathan Pryce's "buyer's remorse" scene

Chinatown - Gittes lunches with Noah Cross, and later Gittes and Mrs. Mulwray alone, and final scene in Chinatown

Fearless - scenes with Max on the airliner, and later Max's final flashback to the crash (wrenching and balletic)

Days of Heaven - pick one
Weekend at Bernie's - pick one
Mars Attacks - pick one
The Last Detail - pick one
After Hours - pick one
Eraserhead - pick one

Blue Velvet - Beaumont the voyeur

Cutter's Way - (1) initial scene in hotel room with Bone using woman's shaver, (2) final scene confronting corporate fat cat, (3) Cutter's wife confronts his drunkenness, (4) Cutter describes the crime to wife and Bone in restaurant, (5) last shot during sailboat scene with oil rigs in background

The Matrix - Neo wakes up out of his pod

Network - Howard Beale's on-air monologues, and the telling Holden/Dunaway sex scene

The Searchers - John Wayne stands in the doorway

2001 A Space Odyssey - Bowman retrieves Poole's body, returns to the ship, and lobotomizes HAL

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-13-2007 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Default Silence of the Lambs

Silence of the Lambs Hannibal says to Starling " your just one step away from poor white trash in second rate shoes Clarrise"

End of movie when Hannibal calls Starling " I have no intent to call on you, I find the world much more interesting with you in it"

Hannibal asking Starling about latest victim "Was she a big girl.... roomy in the hips"

So many classic lines in that film, and as you can tell my favorite film of all time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies