U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM
 
8,539 posts, read 11,872,774 times
Reputation: 3082

Advertisements

My own impression is that Sean Connery is a better overall actor with broader talents. However, I think that Roger Moore brought things to the role that were better suited to the character of Bond. So, as far as that particular role goes, I think Moore is the better performer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
 
13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Reputation: 6460
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My own impression is that Sean Connery is a better overall actor with broader talents. However, I think that Roger Moore brought things to the role that were better suited to the character of Bond. So, as far as that particular role goes, I think Moore is the better performer.
Totally agree with you, first part regarding Sean Connery including.
But Moore was perfectly cut for this one and only particular role, apparently...
The main reason why movies with Sean Connery as Bond are more popular must have something to do probably with a fact that S.C was voted the "most sexiest men alive" at certain point in time, but not necessarily because he was the best Bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Totally agree with you, first part regarding Sean Connery including.
But Moore was perfectly cut for this one and only particular role, apparently...
The main reason why movies with Sean Connery as Bond are more popular must have something to do probably with a fact that S.C was voted the "most sexiest men alive" at certain point in time, but not necessarily because he was the best Bond.
They're more popular because they're awesome. Roger Moore movies are good and more entertaining ,but none are classics like Goldfinger. I actually prefer Pierce Brosnan over Moore. Goldeneye is in my top 5 favorite Bond movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: So Ca
13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Reputation: 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The main reason why movies with Sean Connery as Bond are more popular must have something to do probably with a fact that S.C was voted the "most sexiest men alive" at certain point in time...
That came well after Connery portrayed Bond...Connery was 60 years old when People magazine tallied that vote.

Ian Fleming, the author of all the James Bond novels, so approved of Sean Connery being cast as Bond that he wrote a Scottish lineage into his later works, in deference to Connery's portrayal. Fleming died after the film from his book From Russia with Love was produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,317,087 times
Reputation: 1573
James Bond has a license to kill. Connery is believable as a killer. Roger Moore.....not so much. I did always like Moore as the Saint however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
 
8,539 posts, read 11,872,774 times
Reputation: 3082
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
James Bond has a license to kill. Connery is believable as a killer. Roger Moore.....not so much. I did always like Moore as the Saint however.
I can see that point.

As far as the newer Bond movies, I don't think I've seen any since Moore retired from the role. It's not that I feel so strongly about him, but I saw most 007 movies with my dad when I was a kid. I haven't kept up with them as much later on.

Is there a particular "standout" film from the post-Moore era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Reputation: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can see that point.

As far as the newer Bond movies, I don't think I've seen any since Moore retired from the role. It's not that I feel so strongly about him, but I saw most 007 movies with my dad when I was a kid. I haven't kept up with them as much later on.

Is there a particular "standout" film from the post-Moore era?
The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill, Goldeneye and Casino Royale were all top-notch, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill, Goldeneye and Casino Royale were all top-notch, imo.
Agreed. Die Another Day was horrible, but entertaining.

I've yet to make it through Quantum of Solace. How is that one?? I always fall sleep around the part where he follow the girl back to the docks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 05:28 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
They're more popular because they're awesome. Roger Moore movies are good and more entertaining ,but none are classics like Goldfinger. I actually prefer Pierce Brosnan over Moore. Goldeneye is in my top 5 favorite Bond movies.
You and I both...Pierce Brosnan has that pleasant cockiness that is endearing...fitting for an 007 fantasy...aaaaah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can see that point.

As far as the newer Bond movies, I don't think I've seen any since Moore retired from the role. It's not that I feel so strongly about him, but I saw most 007 movies with my dad when I was a kid. I haven't kept up with them as much later on.

Is there a particular "standout" film from the post-Moore era?
"Tomorrow Never Dies" with Brosnan..high-tech gadgetry executed with cockiness...imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 PM
 
13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Reputation: 6460
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
They're more popular because they're awesome. Roger Moore movies are good and more entertaining ,but none are classics like Goldfinger. I actually prefer Pierce Brosnan over Moore. Goldeneye is in my top 5 favorite Bond movies.
So Moore's movies are good because they are "more entertaining," and Connery's movies are awesome because of... what?
The Shakespearean kind of drama? The depth, the power of thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top