U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times

Advertisements

In the Wikipedia entry for Ian Fleming, it includes a photo of musician/composer Hoagy Carmichael, who Fleming describes Bond as resembling, as well as a sketch by Fleming of his concept of what Bond looked like.

Ian Fleming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 AM

12,122 posts, read 8,098,073 times
I grew up with Roger Moore as 007 but I like Connery better. Much better actor but Moore did have a certain appeal about him as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
The only Roger Moore Bond flick I can consistently rewatch is FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, which is the best Moore Bond outing.

Connery was suave with a hint of humor, but also a tough guy. Moore's version was just too tongue-in-cheek. He wasn't horrible, but he doesn't hold a candle to Connery.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The only Roger Moore Bond flick I can consistently rewatch is FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, which is the best Moore Bond outing.
There was something about FYEO that always bugged me, Bond wise.

Who wears a full wet suit to include a hood in the Aegean?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
In the Wikipedia entry for Ian Fleming, it includes a photo of musician/composer Hoagy Carmichael, who Fleming describes Bond as resembling, as well as a sketch by Fleming of his concept of what Bond looked like.
The sketch looks more like Connery, but not the photograph. Interesting that Fleming re-wrote Bond's literary character in You Only Live Twice, after seeing Connery in "Dr. No," to give Bond more of a sense of humor.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
There was something about FYEO that always bugged me, Bond wise.

Who wears a full wet suit to include a hood in the Aegean?
An Englishman?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Roger Moore was no Connery, but he was okay. Live and Let Die was so campy and entertaining, probably my favorite Moore film. The boat chase scenes in Louisiana, love them. The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only weren't bad, either. The rest, don't really care for them.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:44 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's my least favorite Moore film. It bores me to death.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Moonraker and Octopussy were both pretty stupid, though. Same with A View To A Kill although Christopher Walken and Grace Jones are pretty cool.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
I'm a HUGE Bond fan and to me, Connery and Moore are tied as the best Bond ever, so I hate to see people arguing over which one was better. They both were great as Bond but were just different and brought different things to the role (Connery was considered better looking and brought more toughness to the role, while Moore was great at humor and brought a higher level of class and refinement to the role). But basically, the image of Bond in pop culture and the things that people usually associate with Bond and the world of a spy come from a combination of the things that both Connery and Moore brought to the role.

Yeah, Connery set the template for the role of James Bond since he was the first and did it so well, but Moore brought elements such as suaveness, humorous one liners, and over the top villains that are just as much a part of what people expect Bond to be in pop culture. So basically, they have both set the template for what people expect Bond to be and act like.
This is why Timothy Dalton didn't win over very many fans at the time his movies were out by trying to do a straight up literary take on Bond, even though he had his own unique strengths as a Bond. It's also why Bond got popular again as soon as Pierce Brosnan took over the role, since his Bond was basically a combination of Connery's good looks and toughness and Moore's humor and suaveness.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 04-08-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or