Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times

Advertisements

I liked the movie a lot. My wife and I go to the cinema 3 times a year, so we're very selective of what we see. We enjoyed the first two films, Brett Ratner screwed the series with the 3rd movie, and the X-men Origins film was just alright. I liked the historical fiction element, the retro style/theme, and the character development of Xavier, Erik, and Raven. I thought the actors were all great, expect for January Jones. She just didn't fit in with the rest of the talent. Perhaps she was given bad direction, but she was just horrible compared to McAvoy, Lawrence, and Bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
SPOILER in my posts if you haven't seen it.

I really think it was a solid movie, but could have been SO much better.

First of all, out of all the X-Men films, this one seems to be the one that destroys and disrespects the history of these characters from both the comics and the cartoons the most. I mean it was a travesty to what they did to the histories of these characters. For instance, Shaw is the one who created Magneto's helmet? Mystique and Professor X where like brother and sister? I can name many others. Also, it doesn't match up with the other films as this is supposed to be a prequel.

For instance in X-Men 3 when they recruit Jean Grey, Prof X and Magneto are still running the school together and Prof X is walking and bald. By the end of first class Prof X is in a wheelchair, Magneto and him are no longer friends, still with a head full of hair and Jean apparently has never been thought of. If you are gonna make a prequel make it match up correctly.

Aside from that it was a very solid movie.

I think if they really wanted success, they should have scrapped the whole prequel crap and really rebooted it. Start a new trilogy with the original 5 (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast and Jean Grey) with Professor X and Magneto recruiting them with I dunno some interesting plot.

The movie is a reboot, but starting back in the 1940s/60s rather than present.

[Warning: link has spoilers if you have not seen it]

X-Men: First Class (2011) - FAQ

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
SPOILER in my posts if you haven't seen it.

I really think it was a solid movie, but could have been SO much better.

First of all, out of all the X-Men films, this one seems to be the one that destroys and disrespects the history of these characters from both the comics and the cartoons the most. I mean it was a travesty to what they did to the histories of these characters. For instance, Shaw is the one who created Magneto's helmet? Mystique and Professor X where like brother and sister? I can name many others. Also, it doesn't match up with the other films as this is supposed to be a prequel.

For instance in X-Men 3 when they recruit Jean Grey, Prof X and Magneto are still running the school together and Prof X is walking and bald. By the end of first class Prof X is in a wheelchair, Magneto and him are no longer friends, still with a head full of hair and Jean apparently has never been thought of. If you are gonna make a prequel make it match up correctly.

Aside from that it was a very solid movie.

I think if they really wanted success, they should have scrapped the whole prequel crap and really rebooted it. Start a new trilogy with the original 5 (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast and Jean Grey) with Professor X and Magneto recruiting them with I dunno some interesting plot.

I was thinking kinda the same but I don't think it destroyed the original history (very much). It may seem that way at first but I don't think so. For example Mystic and Prof X may have been friends, later (Hank) beast notices that Mystic ages far slower than everyone else, which explains why she looks like a young woman in the later year based films.

It's clear in the later year films that Magento knows all about the school in NY so it's conceivable that he's been there before.

But I do see your point about when Prof X became paralyzed. I guess they could explain it away that maybe some treatment gave him his legs back but it didn't take (maybe some treatment from beast?).

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I was thinking kinda the same but I don't think it destroyed the original history (very much). It may seem that way at first but I don't think so. For example Mystic and Prof X may have been friends, later (Hank) beast notices that Mystic ages far slower than everyone else, which explains why she looks like a young woman in the later year based films.

It's clear in the later year films that Magento knows all about the school in NY so it's conceivable that he's been there before.

But I do see your point about when Prof X became paralyzed. I guess they could explain it away that maybe some treatment gave him his legs back but it didn't take (maybe some treatment from beast?).
It's just in the comics and tv show Mystique and Professor X never had a history or any type of relationship and here they make them like brother and sister. I just thought it was unnecessary and went against it.

Also some of you say this is a reboot. Not really, it's more of a prequel that acts like a reboot. If this was complete reboot then Mystique wouldn't have the exact same design as the previous trilogy, Rebecca Romijn would have not made a cameo hinting to how Mystique will look in the future and Hugh Jackman would have not made a cameo as Wolverine. A complete new reboot cuts all ties with what was done before in terms of actors portraying certain characters and even down to costume designs. This was a prequel. As a stand alone movie it's good as a prequel it's pretty sloppy in the sense that it doesn't link up well with the trilogy it's supposed to be linked with.

For instance the new Spider-Man due next year is a reboot as well as Nolan's Batmans. Those are true reboots.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Solid summer flick IMO. Plenty of things to nitpick with it, but very entertaining and engaging. Probably the 2nd best X-Men movie right behind X2.

Some have said that this movie is to the X-Men series what Dark Knight (or even Batman Begins) was to the Batman movies. In a sense, I get that. There's a sense of seriousness and being a bit more grounded (as grounded as a movie starring a naked chick in blue paint can get) than X3 or Wolverine, but it didn't have the extremely dark overtones that the latest Batman flicks had. Granted, it's two different worlds, but I was hoping for something a bit more edgy.

Other nitpicks:

Xavier and Moira's relationship was forced and tossed in

Moira and Emma are just too damn skinny. Now, Mystique? Yowza! But being cast next to those rails made her look pudgy by comparison.

Uhm, a SR-71 can HOVER?

No background or intro to Kevin Bacon's henchmen

What I LOVED:

Wolverine cameo

Phenomenal acting from Xavier, Magneto, and Kevin Bacon

Story mostly tied into the original movies

Not a Michael Bay flick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies