U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 AM

76 posts, read 156,018 times

Advertisements

You need to invest in a quality center channel speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Wow, I have never heard of this before. Have you witnessed this theft????
Few people see them in the act, but yes, I have been behind the screens at various theatres, seen that the speakers are gone, and had to call the technicians to come in and replace them.

The people who steal them are clueless, as theatre speakers are a very poor substitute for the more modern speakers used in home systems and even some vehicles. The impedences are wrong, the crossover system is funky, and response curves are aimed at the roll-off from optical track recordings on the edge of the film instead of CDs or whatever is currently popular. They also tend to be very large and heavy.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,596 times
I also have this problem. Although I can quieten the sound due to having Dutch captions, part of the whole fun of watching an action flick is the sound of explosions or cars accelerating.
I'll look into my TV settings.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,097 times
When I get irritated enough (and my hearing is fine, too), I just mute the sound, read lips, and make up my own plot line to exact petty revenge against the director.

Let me add in my own pet peeve concerning LIGHTING. I have to squint to see facial expressions and wonder if I'm going blind (and my eyesight is corrected to 20/20) when so many scenes in movies are filmed in the dark even when it's not necessary.

The director, of course, thinks it adds to the subtle menace and brooding ambiance and who knows what else...

(Rant off...)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
When I get irritated enough (and my hearing is fine, too), I just mute the sound, read lips, and make up my own plot line to exact petty revenge against the director.

Let me add in my own pet peeve concerning LIGHTING. I have to squint to see facial expressions and wonder if I'm going blind (and my eyesight is corrected to 20/20) when so many scenes in movies are filmed in the dark even when it's not necessary.

The director, of course, thinks it adds to the subtle menace and brooding ambiance and who knows what else...

(Rant off...)

Yes, I second your hate of the fricken DARK SCENES, I just hate that so much.

And I spent this last Sunday with remote in hand.....hitting the mute button every couple of minutes..........DOH.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Comcast in Spokane.......just terrible.

I turn up the volume so I can hear the dialogue in a program........then when a commercial hits..frick......the volume just about doubles. I am sure the cable companies COULD do something about this.......but then the advertisers would have a hissy fit.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Even with tivo, it has gotten to the point that we no longer watch movies on television. Solves most of the problem for us.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:02 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Yeah, happens to me a lot. I have cheap center channel speakers though. I've tried to adjust the "volume" of just the center channel but it gets to the point where it sounds too overboosted and the overall quality of my surround system is dragged down because of it. The next time I upgrade my speakers, I will take my time with the little mic that came with my reciever to do the levels settings to make sure each speaker is set accordingly and try that- but I still don't think it will be near optimum.

The worst offender I've run into lately was Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson. Not only is the dailogue too low, but most everybody mutters quickly in one heavy accent or another and then BOOM, action.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, happens to me a lot. I have cheap center channel speakers though. I've tried to adjust the "volume" of just the center channel but it gets to the point where it sounds too overboosted and the overall quality of my surround system is dragged down because of it. The next time I upgrade my speakers, I will take my time with the little mic that came with my reciever to do the levels settings to make sure each speaker is set accordingly and try that- but I still don't think it will be near optimum.

The worst offender I've run into lately was Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson. Not only is the dailogue too low, but most everybody mutters quickly in one heavy accent or another and then BOOM, action.

I hate that so bad............cannot hear the dialogue in a movie..........then when action comes...................just overkill...............pathetic.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Saw this new rule for Tv Stations....goes into effect in about a year.

Gov't asks viewers to police too-loud TV ads - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Tuesday voted unanimously to approve rules implementing legislation that makes it illegal for advertisers to pump up the volume during television commercial breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies