U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Thanks to everyone for making so many good recommendations. A lot of these I'd never heard of, but I will check out now.
I concur Mr. Humble...this is a great thread! I have found so many almost forgotten good movies from here...it expanded my classic movie collection. I thank you for starting this thread and many thanks to you all as well!
Let's keep the excellent recommendation coming...can't have enough. LOL!!!

Last edited by ans57; 06-15-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
 
4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
Reputation: 8245
The File on Thelma Jordan

YouTube - ‪Thelma Jordan pt 1‬‏
Pretty good film noir with Barbara Stanwyck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Reputation: 2336
Reminds me of "Lost Weekend" which got a Best Actor Oscar for Ray Milland.
Very good representation of an alcoholic but not a happy movie.
Along the same venue "Days of Wine & Roses" with Jack Lemon & Lee Remick
as two alcoholics - not a good mixture, even in real life. I forgot who produced it
but rumor was he did not want an unhappy ending. However, his courtesan told him to
leave the ending the way it was and he took her advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I concur Mr. Humble...this is a great thread! I have found so many almost forgotten good movies from here...it expanded my classic movie collection. I thank you for starting this thread and many thanks to you all as well!
Let's keep the excellent recommendation coming...can't have enough. LOL!!!
Well thanks, and you're very welcome. Just tell me if I post something that is not obscure enough; it is, as others have pointed out sometimes hard to tell.

For instance this one, which is rarely on, but stars two mega stars as well as an almost teenage Anne (The Graduate) Bancroft as the hotel chanteuse.


YouTube - ‪Marilyn Monroe: Don't Bother To Knock (1952)‬‏

And the same could be said of this one probably, which also stars Monroe, and screen legend Joseph Cotten. Monroe to me, like Stewart and Hanks and Travolta, is best when playing a heavy. Could be that even with all her stardom and idiosyncrasies she remains, at least to me, a lost little girl. Watching her play a character with bad intent is a nice contrast.

I could always be wrong, though..


YouTube - ‪NIAGARA 1953 TRAILER MARILYN MONROE‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Status: "I had a handle on life, but it broke" (set 10 days ago)
 
1,322 posts, read 2,054,338 times
Reputation: 1671
Most of the pre-1980 movies I've enjoyed, like this one, weren't obscure:
Spy Who Came In From The Cold - 1965 - Richard Burton/Oskar Werner

These two may have been obscure at the time:

Vanishing Point -1971 (Barry Newman)

Medium Cool - 1969 (Robert Forster)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Reminds me of "Lost Weekend" which got a Best Actor Oscar for Ray Milland.
Very good representation of an alcoholic but not a happy movie.
Along the same venue "Days of Wine & Roses" with Jack Lemon & Lee Remick
as two alcoholics - not a good mixture, even in real life. I forgot who produced it
but rumor was he did not want an unhappy ending. However, his courtesan told him to
leave the ending the way it was and he took her advice.

Two great ones. Lemmon is one of my favorites, so versatile he was. And what is it about Lee Remick that she keeps showing up on this thread? The one she did with Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott and Ben Gazzara, featured an actual judge in the part of well, the judge.. Directed by Otto Preminger, even his trailers were original..


YouTube - ‪Anatomy of a Murder - Trailer‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Well thanks, and you're very welcome. Just tell me if I post something that is not obscure enough; it is, as others have pointed out sometimes hard to tell.

For instance this one, which is rarely on, but stars two mega stars as well as an almost teenage Anne (The Graduate) Bancroft as the hotel chanteuse.


YouTube - ‪Marilyn Monroe: Don't Bother To Knock (1952)‬‏

And the same could be said of this one probably, which also stars Monroe, and screen legend Joseph Cotten. Monroe to me, like Stewart and Hanks and Travolta, is best when playing a heavy. Could be that even with all her stardom and idiosyncrasies she remains, at least to me, a lost little girl. Watching her play a character with bad intent is a nice contrast.

I could always be wrong, though..


YouTube - ‪NIAGARA 1953 TRAILER MARILYN MONROE‬‏
I checked both of these out and guess what? the first rated 100% and the second 80% with tomatometer...not bad, I say!!! downloading it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I checked both of these out and guess what? the first rated 100% and the second 80% with tomatometer...not bad, I say!!! downloading it right now.
Huh, you're speaking in a tongue of which I am not familiarized. No, but I can read between the lines. "Tomatometer", I guess is an online rating site for old movies? You're downloading which one? Glad I could help make your evening a little more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Huh, you're speaking in a tongue of which I am not familiarized. No, but I can read between the lines. "Tomatometer", I guess is an online rating site for old movies? You're downloading which one? Glad I could help make your evening a little more enjoyable.
What!!! you've never heard of "rotten tomatoes.com" ??? you must check it out.

Their rating is not as highly reliable as one would think...but, I use their tomatometer as an indicator..then click other film reviews (regarding a particular movie in mind) for comparison. So far, that's how I stumble onto "real" good ones worth watching over and over again. I'm downloading both!

Last edited by ans57; 06-15-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Two great ones. Lemmon is one of my favorites, so versatile he was. And what is it about Lee Remick that she keeps showing up on this thread? The one she did with Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott and Ben Gazzara, featured an actual judge in the part of well, the judge.. Directed by Otto Preminger, even his trailers were original..


YouTube - ‪Anatomy of a Murder - Trailer‬‏
Lee Remick was one of those talented, underrated actresses who was nevre (fortunately) exploited, even when she played sexy characters or was marketed that way.

I love her performance in Anatomy of a Murder as the femme fatale that looks like the girl next door, although, as a modern woman, I find some of the conventions of the era laughable--like when her character is commenting to Jimmy Stewart's character about how she dresses; the inference is that it's "scandalous," and she's wearing a form-fitting sweater and capri pants. IDK, I didn't look closely but *gasp* maybe she wasn't wearing a bra Ya gotta love the 50's. I guess it's no surprise that I like all of the Pre-Code stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top