U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Did she? I didn't know the woman and I don't rely on speculation and gossip as fact. I also don't "blame the victim" as it were. But from what I have read about her life, she went up against the studios several times in favor of more rights for herself as an actress, in an attempt to have more control over her career and her personal life. That is why, I imagine, she was and has been so greatly slandered. But a lot of it is bunk or, at least, was and has been skewed in order to discredit her.

From what I've read she was a very unhappy person. Now, granted these were not books that were devoted to her, but only where she was referenced in relation to others. Do you think that she was murdered? If not, then it would seem that she either committed suicide or od'd. I don't hold any of this against her. We are all victims and all perpetrators, only varies in the extent to one degree or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
If you want something wacky:

YouTube - ‪Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Trailer‬‏

Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM

5,495 posts, read 4,399,555 times
Just watched Manhattan by Woody Allen for the first time - loved it.

YouTube - ‪Manhattan (1979) Theatrical Trailer‬‏

Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
1964. The Killers Lee Marvin amd John Casavetes

The scene in the School for the Blind where they're asking the blind receptionist where Johnny North is and moving things around on her desk.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Hope you like Niagra. Cotten's not his typical stoic persona. Better, I think. I have some things I'm trying to be oblivious to. But I'm not as good at that as I used to be. You must be a jazz fan.
"NIAGARA" was a fitting title for this movie (the true star!) I was so engrossed with admiring its essence (the epitome of endless beauty) that I forgot Monroe's or anybody's acting...

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
"NIAGARA" was a fitting title for this movie (the true star!) I was so engrossed with admiring its essence (the epitome of endless beauty) that I forgot Monroe's or anybody's acting...
Ha, I grew up not too far from there. Used to go there when I was a kid. If you think it's impressive on film, it is truly overwhelming in person.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Ha, I grew up not too far from there. Used to go there when I was a kid. If you think it's impressive on film, it is truly overwhelming in person.
This is one that I truly regretted not visiting...which I intend to rectify! Its majestic and mysterious nature stirs my spirituality. The last magnificent falls I've visited was Multnumah and I was captivated by the myth/legend surrounding it...talking about being gullibly romantic...
Now back to the OP...have you seen "The Hiding Place (1975)?" If not, I highly recommend it.
Warning: this a complete departure from "entertainment." A serious true story that touches the spirit.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
This is one that I truly regretted not visiting...which I intend to rectify! Its majestic and mysterious nature stirs my spirituality. The last magnificent falls I've visited was Multnumah and I was captivated by the myth/legend surrounding it...talking about being gullibly romantic...
Now back to the OP...have you seen "The Hiding Place (1975)?" If not, I highly recommend it.
Warning: this a complete departure from "entertainment." A serious true story that touches the spirit.
Never even heard of it, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Vincent Price in "The Tingler" Some theaters installed vibrators in the seats which went off when the scream scenes were shown.
Around the same time was a campy B-movie called "Mr. Sardonicus" Still don't know how they got all that guys teethe exposed like that before the emergence of modern make-up sciences. Of course, Lon Chaney , Sr. was like 20 years ahead of his time with Phantom of the Opera & Hunchback of Notre Dame
Which brings to mind an all time great movie "Man of a Thousand Faces" with James Cagney playing Chaney in a magnificient performance.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Quote:
From what I've read she was a very unhappy person. Now, granted these were not books that were devoted to her, but only where she was referenced in relation to others. Do you think that she was murdered? If not, then it would seem that she either committed suicide or od'd. I don't hold any of this against her. We are all victims and all perpetrators, only varies in the extent to one degree or the other.
Oh, I agree that she was unhappy but a lot of it had to do with her r-ship with the studio. What I don't like is that people make her out to be someone who was somehow emotionally "damaged" or unbalanced, that her problems were due to a deficiency on her part, which simply isn't true. Her unhappiness stemmed from people refusing to take her seriously as an actress as well as her not being allowed control of her career and personal life by the studios; I think something would be wrong with anyone who was okay with being treated the way that she was treated and who didn't exhibit extreme unhappiness and an unwilligness to participate in her own exploitation (hence, the labeling of MM as "difficult").

The "drug addiction" has been explained as a very popular practice of the time in which actors were prescribed sleeping pills (but never monitored closely by the prescribing physicians--sound familiar, ahem, Heath Ledger) to accommodate wacky set schedules as well as other demands of the profession. She became addicted and the addiction exacerbated an already difficult situation with the studios, who used her addiction to further discredit a star who was trying to wrest control of her career from them.

Contrary to popular belief, she knew that she was being exploited and she fought against it as best as she could, but she had very little support and the studio was very successful in discrediting her, both as a person and an actress, something in which they had a vested interest b/c she made a lot of $$ for them as a sex symbol (but not so much as an actress). However, like many celebs, when she started to understand the limitations of such an image as well as its seedy side, she tried to (unsuccessfully) get away from it. Interestingly, Jim Morrison went through a very similar, conflicted relationship with fame (and also died mysteriously and amid circumspection). The documentary When You're Strange is awesome!

Was she murdered? Maybe. If so, it was the Mafia. She died in '62 after affairs with both JFK, who was then assassinated in '63, and RFK, who was assassinated in '68. RFK very famously went after the Mafia, who JFK may have pissed off during The Bay of Pigs (1961). In fact, according to Wiki, RFK visited MM the day of her death

But I think that it's pretty interesting (and damning) that there was a very close r-ship between the Mob, MM (as well as Lawford and Sinatra, etc.), Cuba and the Kennedys. However, I don't think anyone will ever get a definitive answer. Her life was fraught with difficulties and intrigue; she was certainly surrounded by a lot of people who didn't really care about her, which could have led to murder or suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or