U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM

3,090 posts, read 855,825 times

Advertisements

If you want obscure try "Electraglide In Blue" starred Robert Blake. Kind of low budget , filmed in and around places here in Ariz. Stay with it to the ending, and all through the credits, very unforgettable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
If you want obscure try "Electraglide In Blue" starred Robert Blake. Kind of low budget , filmed in and around places here in Ariz. Stay with it to the ending, and all through the credits, very unforgettable!
You know, I've seen parts of that.. will check it out in full at your recommendation.. he did a few pretty obscure things.. how 'bout the one he did with Redford, Tell 'em Willie Boy is Here.. Robert Blake, Micky Gubitosi, the child star of Spanky fame, probably the best flick he was ever in was his first, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, as the Mexican street kid who sold a down and out Bogart the winning lottery ticket that funded his gold exploration..

here's a pretty obscure one from Greg Peck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvFKgpg5kE

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM

10,012 posts, read 5,740,935 times
My recommendation is "King of Hearts", a 1966 French film.

It is close to the end of WWI. The Germans have booby-trapped a small town in France. All of the locals (and Germans) have fled, leaving the insane asylum unattended and open. The immates escape and cavort about the town.

A Scottish soldier (Alan Bates) arrives at the town to try and diffuse the bomb (to his bewilderment, since his only expertise is in the study of birds; when he tells his commander that his expertise is in birds, the commander replies "Yes, we need expertise!"). He is unaware that the people he meets are 'lunatics' (although he thinks them strange). He falls in love with a young woman. One person asks Bates if he is some Duke; Bates, his French rather poor, says he is the King of Hearts, which causes great rejoicing.

One of my favorite scenes is when the soldier and the young lady are told that the bomb will go off in five minutes:

Soldier (in tones of horror): "We have five minutes to live!"

Young woman (in tones of delight): We have five minutes to LIVE!"

Made when it was, it is an 'anti-war' film, suggesting that those engaging in war were the insane ones, rather than the good people of the asylum. Anyway, a fun little film to watch. I think (it is a while since I've seen it) it is in English, with French subtitles.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Has."Sunset Blvd." been mentioned? That had some obscure-ness to it!
William Holden starred.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

22,225 posts, read 5,499,499 times
I remember Tell 'em willie boy's here! I think Katherine Ross was in it as well.
I saw it on a double bill 40 years ago with a film called The Love God wit

Old 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM

As you can see, this piece of junk sometimes sends the message before I've
even finished it. As I was saying......... on a double bill with a film called The
Love God, with Anne Francis, and a comedian called I think, Don Knotts. I'd
go watch anything in those days!!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
As you can see, this piece of junk sometimes sends the message before I've
even finished it. As I was saying......... on a double bill with a film called The
Love God, with Anne Francis, and a comedian called I think, Don Knotts. I'd
go watch anything in those days!!
Don Knotts was a laugh out loud guy.. his stuff on Andy Griffith!! And speaking of Andy, his "A Face in the Crowd" was a good one; which reminds me of "All the King's Men" with Broderick Crawford, which reminds me of "Born Yesterday" with Crawford and Judy Holiday.. who stole it!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,251,226 times
The Landlord-- Beau Bridges
Carbon Copy-- Denzel Washington

I don't know if they're obscure or not, but I never heard of them til recently, & now they're amongst my faves

Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Talking about Katherine Ross as I was, what happened to her? Can't remember
seeing her in anything after the mid 70s. I first saw her in The Graduate, then
Butch Cassidy, The Stepford Wives, and the last thing I saw her in was, I think,
a film called The Last Frontier, or something like that, with Kirk Douglas as a nuclear
powered aircraft carrier captain somehow going back to the second world war with
his ship. At the end of the film she was made up to look old. Still gorgeous though!!

war.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 AM

[quote=English Dave;19820521]Talking about Katherine Ross as I was, what happened to her? Can't remember
seeing her in anything after the mid 70s. I first saw her in The Graduate, then
Butch Cassidy, The Stepford Wives, and the last thing I saw her in was, I think,
a film called The Last Frontier, or something like that, with Kirk Douglas as a nuclear
powered aircraft carrier captain somehow going back to the second world war with
his ship. At the end of the film she was made up to look old. Still gorgeous though!!

I remember seeing that movie, it was called "The Final Countdown" Somehow or another they were transported back to Pearl Harbor to try and stop the war, or something like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or