U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times

Advertisements

Ok, I doubt anyone would call this a great movie. But there's one called The Chase, not the Charlie Sheen thing, but one that stars Marlon Brando as the small town sheriff who's nobody's boy, least of all EG Marshall, the banker that owns half the town. Also starring Robert Duvall, Angie Dickinson, Robert Redford as the hometown escaped convict and Jane Fonda as his wife.

YouTube - ‪THE CHASE (1966) - R.I.P. ARTHUR PENN‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Becket - Peter otoole & Richard Burton trying to out-act each other.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
I love older more obscure films. Here's a list of some of my favorites:

Prisoner of Second Avenue - Jack Lemmon

Electra Glide in Blue - Robert Blake

Soldier in the Rain - Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason

Five Easy Pieces - Jack Nicholson

Scarecrow - Al Pacino and Gene Hackman

Mean Streets - Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel

The Laughing Policeman - Bruce Dern and Walter Matthau

Rabbit, Run - James Caan

Panic in the Streets - Jack Palance

Straight Time - Dustin Hoffman

Breezy - William Holden

The Incident - Martin Sheen

Just about any John Cassavettes film...Mikey and Nicky, Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A Woman Under the Influence, Minnie and Moskowitz, Husbands, and several others.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I love older more obscure films. Here's a list of some of my favorites:

Prisoner of Second Avenue - Jack Lemmon

Electra Glide in Blue - Robert Blake

Soldier in the Rain - Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason

Five Easy Pieces - Jack Nicholson

Scarecrow - Al Pacino and Gene Hackman

Mean Streets - Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel

The Laughing Policeman - Bruce Dern and Walter Matthau

Rabbit, Run - James Caan

Panic in the Streets - Jack Palance

Straight Time - Dustin Hoffman

Breezy - William Holden

The Incident - Martin Sheen

Just about any John Cassavettes film...Mikey and Nicky, Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A Woman Under the Influence, Minnie and Moskowitz, Husbands, and several others.

Some great calls Coolhand. I've seen most of them. I wasn't sure if Breezy was the one I was thinking of, but looked it up and it is. I don't know how long ago it was that I happened upon it on TV, but I haven't seen it since.

Breezy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soldier in the Rain, I've never even heard of, but Prisoner of Second Ave. is one of my favorite Jack Lemmon movies. Ann Bancroft is his wife in that and she's as great and sexy as ever. Ok, here's a trivia question. Lemmon gets mugged in Central Park in this movie. Who's the mugger?

Cassavetes was something else. Great as a director/writer, but I liked him a lot as an actor, too. Dirty Dozen, Machine Gun McCain, and a movie that seems to play all the time though I don't know why, is the one he did with Sidney Poitier.. I gotta check for the title..

Here it is, and one of the great character actors of all time, Jack Warden as the antagonist.

Edge of the City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Some great calls Coolhand. I've seen most of them. I wasn't sure if Breezy was the one I was thinking of, but looked it up and it is. I don't know how long ago it was that I happened upon it on TV, but I haven't seen it since.

Breezy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soldier in the Rain, I've never even heard of, but Prisoner of Second Ave. is one of my favorite Jack Lemmon movies. Ann Bancroft is his wife in that and she's as great and sexy as ever. Ok, here's a trivia question. Lemmon gets mugged in Central Park in this movie. Who's the mugger?

Cassavetes was something else. Great as a director/writer, but I liked him a lot as an actor, too. Dirty Dozen, Machine Gun McCain, and a movie that seems to play all the time though I don't know why, is the one he did with Sidney Poitier.. I gotta check for the title..

Here it is, and one of the great character actors of all time, Jack Warden as the antagonist.

Edge of the City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That was Sylvester Stallone. That is one of the funniest scenes ever after he gets home and you realize where he went wrong.

Have you seen the original "Out of Towners" with Jack Lemmon? One of the funniest movies of all time. Lemmon was cast so perfectly for the role.

I like Jack Warden. He was great in Night and the City with Robert DeNiro. I believe he was also the judge in "In Justice for All". I first saw him in From Here to Eternity, always liked him.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
That was Sylvester Stallone. That is one of the funniest scenes ever after he gets home and you realize where he went wrong.

Have you seen the original "Out of Towners" with Jack Lemmon? One of the funniest movies of all time. Lemmon was cast so perfectly for the role.

I like Jack Warden. He was great in Night and the City with Robert DeNiro. I believe he was also the judge in "In Justice for All". I first saw him in From Here to Eternity, always liked him.
Stallone, is right! And where Lemmon went wrong was THE punchline, you're right, I'd forgotten. Out of Towners, funny as hell. Lemmon has to be one of the most versatile actors ever. I'm sure you've seen his dramatic turns in The Days of Wine and Roses, Glen Garry, etc. They once asked Frank Sinatra to define class and he mentioned three names. Spencer Tracy, Barbra Streisand and Jack Lemmon. Jack Warden shows up in a lot of my favorite movies, The Verdict and Shampoo come to mind along with the ones you mentioned.. and in Night and the City, when DeNiro tracks him down at the beach, and tells him he wants to promote boxing shows, "you know champ, like the good old days, the glory days.."
Warden says, "Ah, there never were any glory days. Boxing's always been a ____ ___'s ___. If you get this one, you are too good..

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Stallone, is right! And where Lemmon went wrong was THE punchline, you're right, I'd forgotten. Out of Towners, funny as hell. Lemmon has to be one of the most versatile actors ever. I'm sure you've seen his dramatic turns in The Days of Wine and Roses, Glen Garry, etc. They once asked Frank Sinatra to define class and he mentioned three names. Spencer Tracy, Barbra Streisand and Jack Lemmon. Jack Warden shows up in a lot of my favorite movies, The Verdict and Shampoo come to mind along with the ones you mentioned.. and in Night and the City, when DeNiro tracks him down at the beach, and tells him he wants to promote boxing shows, "you know champ, like the good old days, the glory days.."
Warden says, "Ah, there never were any glory days. Boxing's always been a ____ ___'s ___. If you get this one, you are too good..
Boxing's always been a "poor man's out". Remember it well. Not sure if you're aware, but Night and the City was a remake of the original which was about a guy who promotes wrestling, it starred Richard Widmark in DeNiro's role. I watched for the first time about a year or two ago and it was good, but I liked the boxing version better.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
See No Evil (1971)...starring Mia Farrow.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Boxing's always been a "poor man's out". Remember it well. Not sure if you're aware, but Night and the City was a remake of the original which was about a guy who promotes wrestling, it starred Richard Widmark in DeNiro's role. I watched for the first time about a year or two ago and it was good, but I liked the boxing version better.
A little off topic, but is that an expression you have heard around the boxing gyms? Seems to me I have, but I've asked others who have been around the game and they said no.

I knew it was a remake of a Widmark movie; haven't seen that one yet, but I like Widmark a lot.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
A little off topic, but is that an expression you have heard around the boxing gyms? Seems to me I have, but I've asked others who have been around the game and they said no.

I knew it was a remake of a Widmark movie; haven't seen that one yet, but I like Widmark a lot.
I'm sure I've heard the term used around boxing circles before, not necessarily the gyms but among trainers, managers, fans etc.

You mentioned Sinatra earlier, his Tony Rome flicks were fun to watch. I also liked The Detective.

There is also a film by Pacino called Cruising, which doesn't get that much praise. It was heavily protested by gays because of the way they were portrayed, but it's a solid performance by Pacino in his prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or