Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Here's one - YANKS (1979) with Richard Gere. I only mention it because it was
shot in the area I was born and raised in. It's a second world war flick about
Americans in England during the second world war. Theres a scene were Gere
arrives in a village in the back of a army truck. I've walked up those village streets
many times. Gere was'nt very well known in England when he made this film,
so there was'nt much fuss made at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino

Not really obscure in any sense, it won an Oscar, but pre-1980 and a great movie!

Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM

169 posts, read 159,536 times
Though Sidney Poitier is CERTAINLY not obscure (god I love him)

I have to watch every time it is on To Sir, With Love - I cry at the end every time when Lulu sings the song to him. IMO one of THE best movies ever made

Also .......... A Patch of Blue ...... this one may be a little more obscure but nonetheless IMO one of Poitier's best performances. If you have not seen this movie .......WATCH IT!!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
Though Sidney Poitier is CERTAINLY not obscure (god I love him)

I have to watch every time it is on To Sir, With Love - I cry at the end every time when Lulu sings the song to him. IMO one of THE best movies ever made

Also .......... A Patch of Blue ...... this one may be a little more obscure but nonetheless IMO one of Poitier's best performances. If you have not seen this movie .......WATCH IT!!
I like Sidney Poitier as well. We still watch "To Sir With Love." I agree It is among his bests movies!

"Lilies of the Field" (1963) is another one where he won an Academy Award for Best Actor, the first time that award was given to an African-American.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Has "The Wild Bunch" been mentioned, with William Holden. Produced by Sam Peckinpaw, very violent for its time, but great acting by all involved.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,635 times
OK...this one is really obscure! "Blood Simple" 1984 A Coen Bros. film.
You never really know whats going to happen next , just when it seems you know..something else happens!!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Abraham Lincoln (1930)

‪Abraham Lincoln (1930)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Don Knotts was a laugh out loud guy.. his stuff on Andy Griffith!! And speaking of Andy, his "A Face in the Crowd" was a good one; which reminds me of "All the King's Men" with Broderick Crawford, which reminds me of "Born Yesterday" with Crawford and Judy Holiday.. who stole it!

You remind me, speaking of Don Knotts, that one of my favorite comedies is the movie The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. Great organ music! He had a great run back in those days: The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Reluctant Astronaut, How to Frame a Figg, and The Shakiest Gun in the West. All very funny.

Mr. Knott's very first movie was No Time for Sergeants, which I guess is where he met Andy Griffith (who starred).

I will add another obscure movie: Gigot, written by and starring Jackie Gleason. Gleason is a poor Frenchman who works as a janitor, and he is a mute. He has one strange quirk: every time he sees a funeral procession he joins in, crying silent tears, etc., even though he may not have known the party.

It is not a comedy, although there are funny parts. He meets up with another poor family (a woman and her daughter), takes them in, instructs the daughter (in pantomine) of the Passion of Christ (she had no idea who Jesus was), and finally steals some money from an open till at a bakery to help them (he also steals some bread crumbs, for he loves to feed birds).

Of course, he gets into trouble (I think the mother betrays him after spending all the money), is chased around, escapes, and manages to hide; he only emerges when a funeral is passing by: he joins in, for he can't help it. I will not spoil the ending.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
^^ NICE! And Jackie Gleason was great in The Hustler, Starring Paul Newman as a pool hustler, co-starring George C. Scott and Piper Laurie.

‪The Hustler (1961) Trailer‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I will add one more: the first Woody Allen movie, "What's Up, Tiger Lily?"

Allen took a real Japanese movie, "International Secret Police: Key of Keys" (yes, I looked it up; not from memory) and simply dubs in ridiculous dialogue.

The movie itself was a silly (but dead serious effort) knock-off of James Bond movies (it was 1966). Allen changed the 'plot' into a search for a secret egg salad recipe.

One of my favorite bits: Hero is standing in the middle of the street. Suddenly, a man literally pops up from a manhole (with the cover on his head), sees the Hero, and shouts "I'm not wearing any pants!". Hero shoots at the pervert, who ducks back down. Again, it was a real movie. Makes you wonder what the actual scene was suppose to depict.

Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies