U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times

Advertisements

Paradise Road, with Glen Close. This is a true story of survival and the power of hope. This is what I watch when I feel like nothng is ever going to go right.

The Magestic. Jim Carrey proves he can do more than be an immature teenager on the screen. And for those who forgot the underlayer of the fifties its a reminder that we are sometimes our worse enemies.

Swing Kids... how music can make you the enemy of your society. The Swing kids were real. A very sobering look at how a society can change.

Finding Forrester Sean Connery at his best, and pure magic for those who love words

Just to get some good payback, Red Dawn. The old one. Run fast from the new one.

And the best Trek and trek fandom movie ever made, Galaxy Quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Life force
Marooned
A boy & his dog
Above Suspison
Wild Things
I watched A Boy and his Dog the other night on Netflix. It's streaming. I remember it from the midnight movie at conventions, with a blanket brought since the room was alwayst too cold. It was a favorite. I'm really glad it still holds up to my memories. This time, with two dogs snuggled under the blanket and two cats sleeping on top of them and the blanket. Felt like old times.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I watched A Boy and his Dog the other night on Netflix. It's streaming. I remember it from the midnight movie at conventions, with a blanket brought since the room was alwayst too cold. It was a favorite. I'm really glad it still holds up to my memories. This time, with two dogs snuggled under the blanket and two cats sleeping on top of them and the blanket. Felt like old times.
My Dog Skip will pull at your heartstrings

Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

6,695 posts, read 7,350,890 times
You said older and obscure, so here goes. I saw this movie on one of the late-night movie shows back in the 80's, and laughed hysterically through the whole thing. Yeah, I know it's wrong, but I couldn't help myself.

The Terror of Tiny Town (1938) - IMDb

My recollection is that it was cast from the actors that portrayed the munchkins in Wizard of Oz. It's a truly terrible film, but awesome in its terribleness.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 5,153,536 times
Tiny Town! LOL, what a good one for catching you off-guard around
3:00 in the morning.

A very spooky TV movie that (unfortunately) hasn't been aired for eons is Crawlspace (1972) , about a older couple who find a troubled, homeless kid living in their cellar.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM

6,695 posts, read 7,350,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Tiny Town! LOL, what a good one for catching you off-guard around
3:00 in the morning.

A very spooky TV movie that (unfortunately) hasn't been aired for eons is Crawlspace (1972) , about a older couple who find a troubled, homeless kid living in their cellar.
I remember that one. Pretty sure it kept me from sleeping soundly for at least a week, if not longer.

Another one in the older and obscure category is the 1932 film Freaks. It featured actual sideshow performers for most of the cast, and was actually banned in the UK for 30 years or so. Fair warning, you'll have odd dreams for a while after watching this one...

Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
A Face I The Crowd, Andy Griffith and Patrician Neal (1957). Forget the Andy Griffith Show. This movie was amazing and downright prescient.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,760,301 times
Black Narcissus

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,587,427 times
The Enchanted Cottage (1945)---Robert Young, Dorothy McGuire. (Not the Dorothy McGuire later familiar as one of the singing McGuire Sisters.) Here's what I wrote about the radio version (on Lux Radio Theater, for which Young, McGuire, and Herbert Marshall repeated their film roles) after the film's run, but I think it describes the film to a T . . . :

Called to war on the day he was to have been married, battle-disfigured socialite Oliver Bradford (Robert Young) repairs to the remote cottage where he would have honeymooned, seeking isolation even from his family, and from the fiancee who was repelled at first by his disfigurement. There, he is befriended by the cottage's newly-hired caretaker, plain Laura Pennington (Dorothy McGuire), who seeks nothing more than a place in the shallow hometown to which she's returned after eight long, wandering, lonely years. But what begins as solace in loneliness, and Bradford’s hunger to keep his stubborn mother at bay, turns unexpectedly to marriage, guilt, and, at last, an unexpected revelation, when the cottage’s unlikely legend—the spell it is presumed to cast upon newlyweds who honeymoon there—takes an unexpected wedding night hold on the newlywed Bradfords. They have only one problem: they can’t convince anyone else that his disfigurement and her plainness have evaporated, except for blind pianist John Hillgrove (Herbert Marshall, who damn near steals the show with his cool understatement in the film, by the way), who befriends, inspires, and finds unusual inspiration from them.

It's a romantic fantasy, yes, and it may be just a little too sugary a time or too, but unless someone has no soul it's impossible to dislike this charming film.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I remember that one. Pretty sure it kept me from sleeping soundly for at least a week, if not longer.

Another one in the older and obscure category is the 1932 film Freaks. It featured actual sideshow performers for most of the cast, and was actually banned in the UK for 30 years or so. Fair warning, you'll have odd dreams for a while after watching this one...
Freaks is an amazing piece of film-making. Those pre-code oldies are the best.
I have many I could recommend, but just watched My Bodyguard (1980) on instant Netflix, after not having seen it since I was eight years old. Great, feel-good movie for those who haven't seen it, of a kid who gets bullied (by Matt Dillon, in his debut), then hires an overgrown outcast to be his protection. The old-school Chicago scenery is an added plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or