Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Freaks is an amazing piece of film-making. Those pre-code oldies are the best.
I have many I could recommend, but just watched My Bodyguard (1980) on instant Netflix, after not having seen it since I was eight years old. Great, feel-good movie for those who haven't seen it, of a kid who gets bullied (by Matt Dillon, in his debut), then hires an overgrown outcast to be his protection. The old-school Chicago scenery is an added plus.
And that's what I enjoy most about watching older films now, is the background scenery...

I view the movies as if I'm a 'tourist time traveler' of sorts, and I like to capture background scenes or landscapes, as if I'm there with a camera...

Expecially the none 'set' stuff...as in the natural enviornment...like say where the actors are walking down a street, or through a airport or in a park...
When they do that, your able to catch how things really were during that era, the cars, hairstyles, eateries, clothing, uniforms, and even older company logos like Pepsi or Coke or Hostess ect ect...

Yes, the back ground scenery fasinates me as much as the plot or actors themselves do, in many of these older films...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes, the back ground scenery fasinates me as much as the plot or actors themselves do, in many of these older films...
One of my favorites to watch just for the background scenery is Vertigo. The long scenes where James Stewart is driving around pre-hippie (1958)San Francisco are fascinating to me.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I just saw the 1949 picture "Caught", on TCM. A very unusual picture, decades ahead of its time, not at all hokey. It starred a wonderful Barbara Bel Geddes with Robert Ryan and James Mason, but the show was really stolen by Frank Ferguson, who read his lines with 21-st Century cool. Ferguson never starred in a picture, but appeared as hundreds of characters in virtually every TV series in the 60s. One of a few pictures by the German Max Opuls, who came to American briefly to direct a few films for Goldwyn.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
An all time oldie-but-goodie favorite of mine is "The Best Years Of Their Lives" with Frederic March and Myrna Loy, winner of Best Picture Oscar in 1946 - a wonderful movie, one of the best ever made.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Too lazy to scan this long thread. So has anyone mentioned the Spencer Tracy rendition of Dr. Jeckel & Mr. Hyde ? It co-starred the luscious Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner.
IMO it was one of the best performances of his career. Filmed in B &W lent an even more sinister effect to the overall mood of the film. No gratuitous violence or gore was necessary to make this one of the finer films in motion picture history.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Paradise Road, with Glen Close. This is a true story of survival and the power of hope. This is what I watch when I feel like nothng is ever going to go right.

The Magestic. Jim Carrey proves he can do more than be an immature teenager on the screen. And for those who forgot the underlayer of the fifties its a reminder that we are sometimes our worse enemies.

Swing Kids... how music can make you the enemy of your society. The Swing kids were real. A very sobering look at how a society can change.

Finding Forrester Sean Connery at his best, and pure magic for those who love words

Just to get some good payback, Red Dawn. The old one. Run fast from the new one.

And the best Trek and trek fandom movie ever made, Galaxy Quest.
WOW! I thought I was the only one who ever heard of this and loves it as the critics KILLED IT! I show it to my students when they read The Wave and seem to love it too! AND isn't it weird that the two of the male leads turned into TV doctors??

PS. I loved Finding Forrester as well for Catcher in the Rye, but that one didn't go over as well with my students...

But to the OP, if you mean REALLY older movies, I would suggest Harvey with Jimmy Stewart and Arsenic and Old Lace with him as well! MY TOP two favs!

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 01-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Added movies

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
One of my favorites to watch just for the background scenery is Vertigo. The long scenes where James Stewart is driving around pre-hippie (1958)San Francisco are fascinating to me.
HD makes those scenes soooo much better, too.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM

21 posts, read 21,014 times
Arsenic and Old Lace - 1944

Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
Attack (1956) - IMDb

At first Attack seems like just another old war flick, but it is unique and surprisingly good. This movie stars Eddie Albert as a cowardly US captain during WWII. The storyline is about the crisis that results from his command.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I just discovered that the 1937 Chinese classic "Street Angel" is in its entirety on YouTube, not subtitled, but it wont matter. Some beautiful songs by Zhau Xuan.

Street Angel /
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies