U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times

Advertisements

Clift was a great actor. My favorite performance of his was in A Place in the Sun with Elizabeth Taylor. After his car accident that disfigured his face, he was never the same again. Tragic life he led.

I remember Silva too. I remember him from Ocean's Eleven and a few other Sinatra films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM

A few more:

A Panic in Needle Park - Al Pacino

The Last Detail - Jack Nicholson

Popi - Alan Arkin

The Ninth Configuration - Stacy Keach

The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster (Made from a short story by John Cheever)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
"Reflections in a Golden Eye" 1967 Marlon Brando & Liz Taylor
Good movie. This was actually supposed to be Monty Clift's last role, but he died and Brando got the role.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A few more:

A Panic in Needle Park - Al Pacino

The Last Detail - Jack Nicholson

Popi - Alan Arkin

The Ninth Configuration - Stacy Keach

The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster (Made from a short story by John Cheever)

The Swimmer! Love that movie. What is it about the stuff from the '60's and '70's that had such a great feel to it? Lancaster could be good when he played off type. The Sweet Smell of Success with him and Tony Curtis was a great one.

How 'bout, speaking of my man Al, Scarecrow with him and Gene Hackman?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
The Swimmer! Love that movie. What is it about the stuff from the '60's and '70's that had such a great feel to it? Lancaster could be good when he played off type. The Sweet Smell of Success with him and Tony Curtis was a great one.

How 'bout, speaking of my man Al, Scarecrow with him and Gene Hackman?
There was something gritty and real about the movies of the mid to late 60's and 70's, and Scarecrow was a classic example. Movies back then didn't hold back. They weren't afraid to show tragedy and deal with topics that weren't so PC. They documented characters you just don't see walking around any longer. They also didn't spell everything out for you, they didn't dumb down to the audience all the time, which is what I enjoyed so much about The Swimmer. Lot's of metaphors and use of scale and environment to show his gradual breakdown.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Interesting thread, not sure where the line between obscure and famous is as I recognized many of the films here.

Detour

YouTube - ‪Detour 1945 Part 1‬‏

And Then There Were None

YouTube - ‪And Then There Were None‬‏

Edge of Doom

YouTube - ‪Edge of Doom (1950)‬‏

While the City Sleeps

YouTube - ‪While The City Sleeps 1/7‬‏

Kwaidan

YouTube - ‪Kwaidan (trailer)‬‏

Night of the Demon

YouTube - ‪Curse Of The Demon / Night Of The Demon ( part 1 )‬‏

The Devil and Daniel Webster

YouTube - ‪The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941) - Trailer‬‏

Even though it won Best Picture at the Oscars, it is more neglected today than say It's a Wonderful Life

The Best Years of Our Lives

YouTube - ‪The Best Years of Our Lives - Trailer [1946] [19th Oscar Best Picture]‬‏

Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,328,438 times
Black Like Me (1964) - IMDb

Some white guy wanted to find out what it was like to be black... without the re-incarnation. I saw this back in the late-60's and thought the guy was an idiot. But I was the only white guy in a school of 1500 who got along with the six black kids. Actually, just one of them. They didn't hang out much. Towards the end of the year my mom told me to back off... people were talking.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Good movie. This was actually supposed to be Monty Clift's last role, but he died and Brando got the role.
Ohh...I didn't know that, It would have been more fitting, huh?

However...I thought Brando's portrayal of a closeted homosexual was quite impressive, especially when there's hardly any dialogue to convey the repressive nature of his role.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM

3,287 posts, read 4,936,515 times
"A Patch of Blue" - Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters and Elizabeth Hartman. A haunting and beautiful score as I recall.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
"A Patch of Blue" - Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters and Elizabeth Hartman. A haunting and beautiful score as I recall.
Great movie. If I'm not mistaken, Hartman's debut role. Sad story, pretty sure she eventually committed suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or