Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 07:34 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

1975, John Huston film, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer. Based on Rudyard Kipling short story of the same name. One of my favorite movies of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I Know Where I'm Going
From IMDB:
...Middle-class Englishwoman Joan Webster is determined to have the finer things in life, and to that end she plans to marry Sir Robert Bellinger, a wealthy, middle-aged industrialist whom she does not love. En route to the Island of Killoran (mythical), where her future husband resides, Joan is stranded on the nearby island of Mull. Inclement weather keeps her grounded for a week, during which time she falls in love with young, insouciant naval officer Torquil McNeil.

From 1945, this movie might seem dated at first, and the plot trite, but its story (love vs money) truly is classic.

The cinematography is beautiful, too, but I'm warning you: Don't watch it if you do not care for black and white.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times

Gentleman Jim! Erroll Flynn at his best, as boxer Jim Corbett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZIjUa-Jzg

Last edited by Mr. Humble; 06-12-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Wow. "Obscure" is going to mean different things to different people but I'll play:

The Jokers - Michael Crawford and Oliver Reed. Two men decide to steal the crown jewels from the Tower of London.

Support Your Local Sheriff - James Garner - Comedy western

The Long Hot Summer - Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Orson Wells (at his finest IMO), Lee Remick (at her most beautiful), Tony Franciosa - Orson chews a lot of scenery and Paul Newman smolders as the Barn Burner

Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation - Jimmy Stewart - Summer rental and a very tired dad

Smile - Bruce Dern - California girls at a beauty pagent

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Harry and Tonto was another good one from the mid 70's. Although it won a few Oscars, it's rarely talked about. Art Carney at his best.

Carney was also good in a 1980 movie called Defiance, with Jan Michael Vincent.

Lifeguard with Sam Elliot

Paper Lion with Alan Alda

Born to Win with George Segal

A Panic in Needle Park with Al Pacino. His female co-star played the role of a strung out junkie to perfection. Al was great too in what I believe was his very first movie role.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Harry and Tonto was another good one from the mid 70's. Although it won a few Oscars, it's rarely talked about. Art Carney at his best.

Carney was also good in a 1980 movie called Defiance, with Jan Michael Vincent.

Lifeguard with Sam Elliot

Paper Lion with Alan Alda

Born to Win with George Segal

A Panic in Needle Park with Al Pacino. His female co-star played the role of a strung out junkie to perfection. Al was great too in what I believe was his very first movie role.
Some good calls here, Coolhand. Art Carney was great in that. And in The Honeymooners, he was well, sublime!

Lifeguard, definitely, captured that time in L.A., as did Breezy and Save The Tiger..

Another good one from Segal, who was in one of my favorite movies of all time, (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?), was California Split with Elliot Gould.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

274 posts, read 370,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
It was great fun, right? Did you know the great Thomas Mitchell was originally cast as Daniel Webster but left early due to an injury? His long distant shots are apparently still in the finished project.

I just saw a classic film noir by the genius Fritz Lang called Scarlet Street. It is public domain now and features the great Edward G. Robinson. The ending is very dark and rather scary, even for a 1940s film noir. I do not want to give it away, you have to see it for yourself if you wish:

YouTube - ‪Scarlet Street‬‏

Trivia: Art is a key plot point in the film and Robinson in real life was well-known for his collection of paintings and his support of the fine arts.
poletop, I LOVE your selections! Detour, And Then There Were None, Best Years, and Scarlet Street, all fantastic movies for all different reasons!

And speaking of Fritz Lang, I'd add The Woman in the Window to the list - the two movies were made one right after the other, with practically the same cast!

Here's a couple more that I think of as "essential":
The More the Merrier
The Apartment
Brief Encounter (can't mention The Apartment without mentioning that!)

Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Has anyone mentioned "Harold and Maude"?

Starred Ruth Gordon. One of my favorite people of all time.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:20 PM

I see lots of guy-centric movies here so I feel obligated to balance it out a little

1932, One Way Passage, starring Kay Francis and William Powell - you can't help but fall in love with Francis and Powell as they fall in love with each other. Wonderful, but forgotten gem!

1946, Cluny Brown, starring Jennifer Jones and Charles Boyer - Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (what else do I need to say??) Delightful movie, and it makes you sorry Jennifer Jones didn't do more comedies!

1952, Sudden Fear, starring Joan Crawford and Jack Palance - Joan is awesome in this, such a nailbiter!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Has anyone mentioned "Harold and Maude"?

Starred Ruth Gordon. One of my favorite people of all time.
I feel like I could never get tired of that movie. Any time it comes on tv, I have to sit and watch!

My favorite part is the end

SPOILER!

Cat Stevens' "Trouble" playing over the sad scenes of Maude dying, and Harold driving in the rain - so great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies