Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,538 times

Advertisements

say from pre 1980..

Doesn't have to be Citizen Kane, but worth checking out is all..

Devil At 4 O'Clock.. Sinatra and Tracy

The Harder They Fall.. Bogart and Steiger

The Pawnbroker.. Rod Steger

Joe.. Peter Boyle

Bang the Drum Slowly.. DeNiro

The Great White Hope.. James Earl Jones

The Black Orchid.. Anthony Quinn, Sophia Loren

It Started in Naples.. Sophia Loren and Clark Gable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
His Girl Friday (1940) - IMDb

I was amazed when I saw first this movie, only a year or so ago. It IMMEDIATELY bolted to my top ten, if not top five. I would add, when watching Knight and Day (2010) - IMDb, I kept thinking the chemistry was equally outstanding.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
The single funniest movie I've ever seen is "The Man Who Came to Dinner", with Monte Woolley and Bette Davis. 1942, but timeless humor.

If you've never seen "Umbrellas of Cherbourg", its a rare treat waiting for you. Surprisingly, there is a nice, sharp version of it on Youtube, running its full length without being broken up into segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l25gYXilNzk

I often just put it on while I'm working on line, minimized, just to listen to the musical track.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
I'm really into the Pre-Code films right now; I love that they feature more realistic plotlines--many that are relevant even today--rather than the censored claptrap that was featured afterwards. Some notable titles are:

The Divorcee--Norma Shearer. Great film about the double standard.
Waterloo Bridge
Baby Face: I love Barbara Stanwyck and have been watching a lot of her early films lately; Ball of Fire is very funny.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
The Manchurian Candidate - Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury and Janet Leigh

Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
The Manchurian Candidate - Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury and Janet Leigh
Yes! Interesting story about this movie which some may not know. Sinatra owned the rights to it and shelved it after November 1963 when JFk was shot and killed.

Angela Lansbury was I believe too young to play Lee Harvey's mother, but she sure pulled it off. Great actress, I think. Frank could be a good actor when he wanted to be. Most of what he did was fluff, and so maybe it's understandable that he would lay out. One-Take Charlie, they called him. It was a much different story in the recording studio though. Frank took as many takes as he needed to catch that wave. I've heard some out-takes.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I'm really into the Pre-Code films right now; I love that they feature more realistic plotlines--many that are relevant even today--rather than the censored claptrap that was featured afterwards. Some notable titles are:

The Divorcee--Norma Shearer. Great film about the double standard.
Waterloo Bridge
Baby Face: I love Barbara Stanwyck and have been watching a lot of her early films lately; Ball of Fire is very funny.
Love, I am in love with Barbara Stanwyck. A great performer/personality on screen and I think crazy sexy. She did one with Bogart and Raft, They Drive By Night(?).. She played a great vamp. What was the one she did with Gary Cooper? Not Meet john Doe, but the one where she plays a B'Dway showgirl.. Wait.. wait here..... There it is, Ball of Fire

Ball of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 PM

How 'bout Jack Lemmon in Save the Tiger? I love the feel of this flick but it's never on..

If you haven't seen it, check it out..

YouTube - ‪Jack Lemmon on "Save The Tiger"‬‏

Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Love, I am in love with Barbara Stanwyck. A great performer/personality on screen and I think crazy sexy. She did one with Bogart and Raft, They Drive By Night(?).. She played a great vamp. What was the one she did with Gary Cooper? Not Meet john Doe, but the one where she plays a B'Dway showgirl.. Wait.. wait here..... There it is, Ball of Fire

Ball of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, there are so many good Barbara Stanwyck films. These are the ones that I have seen recently (and that I recommend):

The Other Love
No Man of Her Own
Stella Dallas (for which she was nominated for an Academy Award: by far her best performance, she leaves the vampiness behind for this one--watch out, though, it's a tearjerker!)
Sorry, Wrong Number
Night Nurse (my new favorite)

Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,566,526 times
"Reflections in a Golden Eye" 1967 Marlon Brando & Liz Taylor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies