U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 PM

278 posts, read 534,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Jesus!

I will say it here. Movies are for the sole reason to be entertained.

I don't agree at all. Many movies may exist as the sole purpose of entertaining, such as comic book movies, but that's not why people go to movies. That's not why 99% of people like movies. There are an infinite amount of things to do in this day and age to entertain ourselves. Not everybody loves sports, outdoor activities, hell even music, but almost EVERYBODY loves movies. And it's not because they're entertaining. People go to movies to feel. To escape their lives and feel what they wish they felt in their everyday lives. Whether its anger and hate for characters or situations, or love, or sadness, or empathy, or hope, or fear. We go to movies to feel humanity and to feel like we're connected with other people in the form of characters. We feel like we know these people on screen. It's called parasocial relationships. We're tricking ourselves but in a good way. We get emotions out of movies what we aren't getting out of life. The cinema is the modern church. There can be something almost spiritual about it. We go to get an oil change for our souls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I rarely go to the movies these days, maybe 4-5 times per year because I am always so dissappointed by everything I see. Its rare for me to watch an entire movie, stay awake the whole time and not get bored. I actually prefer to rent because I hate sitting in the theaters and I can pause or walk away when I want to.

But I'm just not that entertained by most of them. I'm either bored, restless or I just can't get into the story. Half of the time instead of losing myself in the story, I feel like I am aware that I'm watching actors, reciting dialogue and I see sets and customes and makeup and special effects and I just have a hard for me to care about it all. There are a few that I can get into (usually very realistic storylines) but probably less than 5% of the general population.

Can anyone else relate?
Your post reminds me of my hubby. He gets easily frustrated especially when actors are portraying roles that are so opposed to their "true life" characters... However, there are quite a few that are either truly entertaining to me or movies that depict a true story...ie., "Something the Lord Made", "Sobibor" et al. But then...to each his own.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,679,691 times
Quote:
I rarely go to the movies these days, maybe 4-5 times per year because I am always so dissappointed by everything I see. Its rare for me to watch an entire movie, stay awake the whole time and not get bored. I actually prefer to rent because I hate sitting in the theaters and I can pause or walk away when I want to.

But I'm just not that entertained by most of them. I'm either bored, restless or I just can't get into the story. Half of the time instead of losing myself in the story, I feel like I am aware that I'm watching actors, reciting dialogue and I see sets and customes and makeup and special effects and I just have a hard for me to care about it all. There are a few that I can get into (usually very realistic storylines) but probably less than 5% of the general population.

Can anyone else relate?
You sound a lot like me. I have no interest in 95% of what comes out of Hollywood these days and only go to the movies twice a year at best. The movie industry has been going downhill for a couple decades at least and most of what comes out these days is geared toward the lowest common denominator so it can be marketed to audiences all over the world. Once in awhile something interesting will come along, but mostly, I stick to documentaries and older classics (well, not that old...my favorites are mostly from the 70s).

I still like to be entertained, but I would rather watch a great tv series like Breaking Bad, Damages, etc. with ongoing storylines, complex writing, engaging characters...than to waste 2 hours of my life cringing through some inane comedy or action flick.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM

3,864 posts, read 7,064,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
You sound a lot like me. I have no interest in 95% of what comes out of Hollywood these days and only go to the movies twice a year at best. The movie industry has been going downhill for a couple decades at least and most of what comes out these days is geared toward the lowest common denominator so it can be marketed to audiences all over the world. Once in awhile something interesting will come along, but mostly, I stick to documentaries and older classics (well, not that old...my favorites are mostly from the 70s).

I still like to be entertained, but I would rather watch a great tv series like Breaking Bad, Damages, etc. with ongoing storylines, complex writing, engaging characters...than to waste 2 hours of my life cringing through some inane comedy or action flick.
Yes!!!! You can relate. I also love documentaries and would take them over most movies.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Can't remember last time I went to see a movie, but I DO love indies so much and foreign films too, as other posters mentioned. I also watch some awesome films for free on HULU.com.

If it was made for big box-office bucks, no way. Made for artistic reasons, or is poignant or historical, or with very unusual topics, or very funny.....YES!

Quote:

Can anyone else relate?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM

960 posts, read 1,819,111 times
I don't go anymore. I got tired of those parents with no common sense who bring their small children and or babies to a theater and not take them out when they started acting up or crying.
Very few would actually take rowdy children out. Most never got as far as the doors so you could still hear them more than the movie.

The last two theaters I was in the "manager" wouldn't do anything about the disturbance because (according to him) those parents paid to see movie too.
In reality the "managers" were nothing more than high school kids who din't know how to deal with the confrontation that comes with working in service type jobs.

I'll just wait until the movie I want to watch comes out on DVD.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Every now and then some good films come along from Hollywood you know them because critics and reviewers give them good scores. That is one of the way to know its good. There are few instances when they are wrong, like Let The Right One In and Let Me In. But most of the cases they are right and what they make around the world is proof of that.
Are you saying the critics were wrong with their praise of Let the Right One In? I actually liked that movie, which is surprising because I am sick unto death of all the vampire stuff. I have not yet seen Let Me In.

Anyway, not liking movies because you don't like mainstream product is akin to saying you don't like food because McDonald's gives you a tummy ache.

Hollywood is only one facet of filmmaking.

I and my son just saw Super 8 and it was not any better than a solid B, but our tickets were only $5 a person so that helps. I admit I don't go to the theater as much as I used to. Renting is preferable to me.

Different films provide different forms of entertainment, different aspects and levels of thought and feeling.

And of course some people just don't care for movies, and that is okay.

We don't all have to like the same entertainment. I detest professional football and don't spend any time watching if I can help it.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,019,556 times
I only go because my family wants to. But I can't stand the 20+ minutes of previews prior to the movie.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM

436 posts, read 1,295,880 times
I'm not thrilled with most of the movies put out now either. I cannot stand sequels and that seems to be a lot of what has been put out for the summer. I am sick of the plots that have been done over and over again. I'm sick of the same jokes in every comedy and the over the top gore in the horror movies. I hate when I can figure out the whole movie after only watching the first 15 minutes of it. I end up bored and it makes me want to leave or shut it off. I can't remember the last time I saw a GOOD movie either in a theatre or as a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or