U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM

3,864 posts, read 7,064,327 times

Advertisements

I rarely go to the movies these days, maybe 4-5 times per year because I am always so dissappointed by everything I see. Its rare for me to watch an entire movie, stay awake the whole time and not get bored. I actually prefer to rent because I hate sitting in the theaters and I can pause or walk away when I want to.

But I'm just not that entertained by most of them. I'm either bored, restless or I just can't get into the story. Half of the time instead of losing myself in the story, I feel like I am aware that I'm watching actors, reciting dialogue and I see sets and customes and makeup and special effects and I just have a hard for me to care about it all. There are a few that I can get into (usually very realistic storylines) but probably less than 5% of the general population.

Can anyone else relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I love movies but I find most mainstream "Hollywood style" films leave me bored, disappointed and frustrated. I tend to prefer small Indie or foreign films where acting, and story-telling takes precedent over big names, overblown special effects or style. A good movie has the potential to move, to make you think and make you feel. It can be as rewarding as a good play.

But sadly yes most mainstream films suck.

I go to the movies at least once a week, sometimes two or three times and I usually find it a most satisfying experience because I research it before-hand and target very specific kinds of films. I do get the occasional dud but nowadays I tend to find mostly great little gems of films which will never make it to mainstream cinemas.

The audience for Indie films/Foreign films is much smaller and thus not quite as profitable for producers and a bigger risk. But to me they are worth their weight in Gold because they shun the easy and the obvious but still deliver quality, art and yes entertainment too. And often original. And originality is seriously lacking in most mainstream films.

You basically have to be really picky to see the good stuff I think. The problem for many people is that they don't have the kind of cinema which plays those films nearby where they live.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love movies but I find most mainstream "Hollywood style" films leave me bored, disappointed and frustrated. I tend to prefer small Indie or foreign films where acting, and story-telling takes precedent over big names, overblown special effects or style. A good movie has the potential to move, to make you think and make you feel. It can be as rewarding as a good play.

But sadly yes most mainstream films suck.

I go to the movies at least once a week, sometimes two or three times and I usually find it a most satisfying experience because I research it before-hand and target very specific kinds of films. I do get the occasional dud but nowadays I tend to find mostly great little gems of films which will never make it to mainstream cinemas.

The audience for Indie films/Foreign films is much smaller and thus not quite as profitable for producers and a bigger risk. But to me they are worth their weight in Gold because they shun the easy and the obvious but still deliver quality, art and yes entertainment too. And often original. And originality is seriously lacking in most mainstream films.

You basically have to be really picky to see the good stuff I think. The problem for many people is that they don't have the kind of cinema which plays those films nearby where they live.
Thanks for responding. You bring up a a really good point. I should try more indie and foreign films. We do have a few theaters here that feature such films. Maybe that is better for me.

I try to like some of these movies but I find the damn trailers way better than the full feature.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Thanks for responding. You bring up a a really good point. I should try more indie and foreign films. We do have a few theaters here that feature such films. Maybe that is better for me.

I try to like some of these movies but I find the damn trailers way better than the full feature.

To be honest I think if you have to try then the film isn't very good - Very good to YOU that is which is at the end what truly matters. We all have different tastes and expectations and there is nothing wrong with that .

And not everyone has to love films anyway. A friend of mine can't stand movies, he just can't sit through one. Literally. He gets bored and fidgets. But he love the live theatre for example.

I do think also that you have to take the rough with the smooth. I have sat through some pretty bad films and resented it but then the great ones have made for it one hundred fold. A great film can be mind blowing I think. But like great books of course they are rarer than the duds !

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,376,989 times
Movies today just don't have that same "magic" they did when I was a kid. I remember watching movies when I was kid and leaving the theater feeling so wonderful and happy. I don't get that anymore.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,557 times
Jesus!

I just gave you a lengthy response in the other thread.

I will say it here. Movies are for the sole reason to be entertained. If you can't enjoy the little things than don't go to a movie theater. It has nothing to do with you being more likely to enjoy indie/foreign films better. I just want you to know that you have no place in a theater if you cannot be pleased. These movies-major Hollywood films-are meant to be an arousal experience to the eyes and ears with all the CGI and sounds. Why do you think they make large amounts of money in the U.S.A. and around the world? Everyone likes them! Every now and then some good films come along from Hollywood you know them because critics and reviewers give them good scores. That is one of the way to know its good. There are few instances when they are wrong, like Let The Right One In and Let Me In. But most of the cases they are right and what they make around the world is proof of that.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Jesus!

I just gave you a lengthy response in the other thread.

I will say it here. Movies are for the sole reason to be entertained. If you can't enjoy the little things than don't go to a movie theater. It has nothing to do with you being more likely to enjoy indie/foreign films better. I just want you to know that you have no place in a theater if you cannot be pleased. These movies-major Hollywood films-are meant to be an arousal experience to the eyes and ears with all the CGI and sounds. Why do you think they make large amounts of money in the U.S.A. and around the world? Everyone likes them! Every now and then some good films come along from Hollywood you know them because critics and reviewers give them good scores. That is one of the way to know its good. There are few instances when they are wrong, like Let The Right One In and Let Me In. But most of the cases they are right and what they make around the world is proof of that.
The amount a of money a movie brings in is no indicator for how good its going to be or whether I'll like it. Also critic's reviews don't always help either. Everyone has opinion and there's always someone who likes it and another who hates it.

I think I just need to be more selective. And stick to renting.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
One of the classic axioms of movies is that a good movie allows the audience to have a willing suspension of disbelief. As people grow older, there is a natural better understanding of life and what is plausible and what is not. CGI effects are aimed at a youth audience, and once you get bored with the coolness factor of them, they can be painful to watch and can snap you out of the reverie needed to become engrossed in a film.

Hollywood does not produce movies. It produces PRODUCT. It is like cat food, designed to appeal to the senses of cats (or kids, in the case of movies), and yet not be too offensive to the sensibilities of more sophisticated humans. It is packaged in brightly colored packages, and commercials advertising the product appeal to the emotions and basic drives of the target purchaser. When you take it out of the packaging and examine it, it is usually bits of this, bits of that, all bound together with some mysterious glue.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One of the classic axioms of movies is that a good movie allows the audience to have a willing suspension of disbelief. As people grow older, there is a natural better understanding of life and what is plausible and what is not. CGI effects are aimed at a youth audience, and once you get bored with the coolness factor of them, they can be painful to watch and can snap you out of the reverie needed to become engrossed in a film.

Hollywood does not produce movies. It produces PRODUCT. It is like cat food, designed to appeal to the senses of cats (or kids, in the case of movies), and yet not be too offensive to the sensibilities of more sophisticated humans. It is packaged in brightly colored packages, and commercials advertising the product appeal to the emotions and basic drives of the target purchaser. When you take it out of the packaging and examine it, it is usually bits of this, bits of that, all bound together with some mysterious glue.
LOL!! Awesome post!

But that is how I feel. Like they throw in special effects and explosions, uptempo, fun music, then some halfway witty, recycled one-liners, (like a "Welcome to paradise" in one trailer I saw over the weekends), hot women, wannebe shocking language and quick transitions and hands it over like 'here ya go, now give us your money'.

I am amazed at how poorly written most movies are.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Basically what I had said. Like the movie Thor was a good suspension of disbelief. Anyways this is tiring. Crabcakes stick to renting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or