U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best War movie of the 90's
The Thin Red Line 6 14.63%
Saving Private Ryan 22 53.66%
Other 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times

Advertisements

Stalingrad and Schindler's List are the first to come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Thin Red Line was perhaps the WORST war movie I have ever seen. It was friggin' horrible. HORRIBLE. Like some chick tried to write a war movie bad.

Best:

Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Enemy At The Gates

I consider myself a war movie buff and have to say again that Thin Red Line was awful.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM

960 posts, read 1,819,111 times
Short list

Gettysburg
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Bell

Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,519,350 times
Schindler's List does come to mind, but as has been mentioned, I don't know if I would qualify it as a 'war movie'.

Saving Private Ryan would get my vote if only because I haven't seen a lot of the others. It is one seriously tough movie to watch, though. So, while I do love it, I think it's made me not want to watch all these other war movies that have been mentioned.

Mike

Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Thin Red Line was perhaps the WORST war movie I have ever seen. It was friggin' horrible. HORRIBLE. Like some chick tried to write a war movie bad.

Best:

Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Enemy At The Gates

I consider myself a war movie buff and have to say again that Thin Red Line was awful.
And "chicks" should not write war movies because.... Does having vaginas instead of penises mean somehow war does not affect women ?

What a porcinely sexist comment but no surprise there.

I too consider myself a war movie buff ( and I am not a "chick" by the way but a woman FYO).

I have seen hundreds of war movies from "Battleship Potemkin" onwards ( still one of the best ) and was an army brat. Many of my friends are still in the Armed forces and most seem to really love "The Thin Red line" ( but I guess those SAS and Marines are all big sissies too in your books ....) and a friend of mine who is at the moment in Helmand also considers it one of his favourite.... I guess we ALL have different tastes and simply because one does not necessarily agree with LaoTsuMindFu one is not a "chick" for it.

I liked "Saving Private Ryan". A lot. Compared to something like "Stalingrad", "Downfall" or "Das Boot" however I would say it was pretty mainstream in its handling of its topic. "The Hurt Locker" IMO was far superior. "Saving Private Ryan" was a great epic film but something like "Stalingrad" really does get down to business IMO.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Short list

Gettysburg
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Bell
I thought "Gettysburg" was fantastic too !

Old 06-17-2011, 05:39 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And "chicks" should not write war movies because.... Does having vaginas instead of penises mean somehow war does not affect women ?

What a porcinely sexist comment but no surprise there.

I too consider myself a war movie buff ( and I am not a "chick" by the way but a woman FYO).

I have seen hundreds of war movies from "Battleship Potemkin" onwards ( still one of the best ) and was an army brat. Many of my friends are still in the Armed forces and most seem to really love "The Thin Red line" ( but I guess those SAS and Marines are all big sissies too in your books ....) and a friend of mine who is at the moment in Helmand also considers it one of his favourite.... I guess we ALL have different tastes and simply because one does not necessarily agree with LaoTsuMindFu one is not a "chick" for it.

I liked "Saving Private Ryan". A lot. Compared to something like "Stalingrad", "Downfall" or "Das Boot" however I would say it was pretty mainstream in its handling of its topic. "The Hurt Locker" IMO was far superior. "Saving Private Ryan" was a great epic film but something like "Stalingrad" really does get down to business IMO.
Cute.

Its okay that we disagree on Thin Red Line. I hated it. Everyone I know who have seen it hated it. This includes folks who are/were special ops, marines, swat members, mixed martial artists, even a few chicks. It just really pales in comparison to other war movies of that period.

Hurt Locker was fantastic, but that is not from the 90s.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Thin Red Line was about people who actually had dimensions and complex feelings, who inspired the audience to think about what was on the screen, and consider war from some other perspective than simply gung-ho blind machismo and God-given American superiority. No wonder it completely sailed over the heads of so many.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,856,486 times
My favorites from the 90s were Saving Private Ryan, and although it's not a movie, Bank Of Brothers deserves a mention. I can watch that series over and over.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM

50 posts, read 52,919 times
Forest Gump/Saving Private Ryan and the first episode of Star Wars (1999)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or