Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best War movie of the 90's
The Thin Red Line 6 14.63%
Saving Private Ryan 22 53.66%
Other 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 PM

218 posts, read 562,750 times

Advertisements

Pretty Villages, Pretty Flames

It's in Serbian but still a good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Somebody said Forrest Gump? Not a war movie.

I liked Saving Private Ryan's opening scene as they stormed the beach, as well as the sniper sequence, but the rest I thought was Disney-Hollywood fare typical of Spielberg anyway, so no surprises to me.

Glad you all mentioned Stalingrad. Loved it! Really enjoyed the tank sequences, and the actors were so believable and amazing. Another tank movie I loved was The Beast, but that was 80s. Jason Patric and George Dzundza as Russian tank soldiers in Afghanistan.

My husband and I rented that movie when we were first dating. He had seen it before, but thought it was a great movie that I should see. I added that DVD to my collection (downloadable movies weren't easily available back then. )

Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Saving Private Ryan made a big impact, because it was really the first big Hollywood World War II film for a generation that didn't sugarcoat the violence and intensity of warfare that a lot of people saw. There were a lot of Vietnam movies from the late 70s and 80s that were dark and violent in how they portrayed war, but for a child of the 80s and 90s growing up, World War II movies shown were usually old John Wayne films on TV with a lot of patriotic talk from the Duke about "How we're gonna win this war".

Saving Private Ryan portrayed D-Day closer to reality of warfare---you never saw guys getting burnt alive or getting their legs blown off in most famous World War II films before that. It subsequently influenced the HBO film Band of Brothers, but also was responsible for a whole new generation of World War II themed shooter video games in the last decade.

But I agree, Saving Private Ryan was a few excellent battle scenes in between a fairly average war movie.
Totally agree, very good post! I think SPR was the most influential of modern war movies as far as battle realism goes (by 'modern' I mean with guns, and therefore exclude Braveheart which was also very realistic).

The beach sequence blew me away. I was not surprised by Spielberg's inevitable cheesiness, but I still did not expect even him to ruin such a promising opening.

But Spielberg isn't the guy I hate most in this production (mostly because he's behind the camera and I don't see his face). The guy I hate the most is by far Ed Burns with his cartoonish Brooklyn persona, followed by Ribisi whom I otherwise like, and the wussy intello type who reminds me of Henry Thomas.

On the plus side, this movie was Barry Pepper's coming out, even though we (sadly) haven't seen much of him since.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband and I rented that movie when we were first dating. He had seen it before, but thought it was a great movie that I should see. I added that DVD to my collection (downloadable movies weren't easily available back then. )
A hidden gem all right! I especially liked Stephen Bauer (Manolo from Scarface) playing a mujahedeen. Interesting casting choice!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
On the plus side, this movie was Barry Pepper's coming out, even though we (sadly) haven't seen much of him since.
Uh, Battlefield Earth! Hahahaha.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM

^^ I've never seen it, although I heard it was brutal. It was after SPR, right? Maybe that's what did in his career.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Quote:
Totally agree, very good post! I think SPR was the most influential of modern war movies as far as battle realism goes (by 'modern' I mean with guns, and therefore exclude Braveheart which was also very realistic).

The beach sequence blew me away. I was not surprised by Spielberg's inevitable cheesiness, but I still did not expect even him to ruin such a promising opening.

But Spielberg isn't the guy I hate most in this production (mostly because he's behind the camera and I don't see his face). The guy I hate the most is by far Ed Burns with his cartoonish Brooklyn persona, followed by Ribisi whom I otherwise like, and the wussy intello type who reminds me of Henry Thomas.

He was good in True Grit but could not fill the shoes of Robert Duvall, but how many actors can?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM

43 posts, read 25,478 times
The Thin Red Line was poetry to Saving Private Ryan's prose. it all depends on what you like, I guess.

From a "watchable" standpoint, I could see SPR over and over. It's just visually stunning, and suspenseful.

TRL takes work and effort to absorb, but does make you think. The senselessness of war is the theme throughout. Nothing wrong with that message.

The English Patient is another 90s war movie that no one mentions, but that was primarily a love story. Had some compelling sequences, regardless.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
SAving Private Ryan was my fav war movie. I also liked "Behind The Enemy Lines". It was pretty good.

Does anyone know about a foreign movie involving two friends or neighbors(not sure ?) who were Serb and Bosnian and eventually ended up as snipers and one had to kill the other or something. I saw it being mentioned on tv one time, but i never got to see the movie since i forgot the title. It dealt with the Bosnian-Serb war during the mid 90s.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
My favorite, in terms of realism, is Blackhawk Down. It did a great job of showing the brutality and absurdatity of that entire action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies