U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,614,770 times

Advertisements

Okay so I just saw the Green Lantern Movie.

I enjoyed it, however to be honest I think a lot of folks who have been used to the caliber of the last two Batman's will be disappointed. I think it will appeal to only the hard core super-hero/comic book fan like myself. And even then they sped through so much. But like I said I am a super-hero fanboy and very much a DC comic universe Super-Hero fanboy so I would see it again.

It sorta reminds of the first Incredible Hulk movie, good..but...I could easily see this one being rebooted as they could have spent more time in character development.

Anyway, it's a summer flick to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
I'm a comic book geek too, but I just have no desire to see this movie. I never could get into Green Lantern in any of his incarnations, and every preview I saw of this movie left me completely uninterested.

When I left Super 8 today, though, I saw people going in to see GL with their Lantern shirts on. I suspect between foreign ticket sales and all the merchandising, the movie will have no problem making its money back. But I wouldn't hold my breath for a sequel.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
When I left Super 8 today, though, I saw people going in to see GL with their Lantern shirts on. I suspect between foreign ticket sales and all the merchandising, the movie will have no problem making its money back. But I wouldn't hold my breath for a sequel.
I read the movie cost a whopping $300 million to make. You think it will make that much?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM

12,263 posts, read 8,989,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm a comic book geek too, but I just have no desire to see this movie. I never could get into Green Lantern in any of his incarnations, and every preview I saw of this movie left me completely uninterested.
I used to be a comic book geek and Green Lantern was one of my favorites, until Spidey and the Marvel universe rolled over DC. I loved the idea of a GL movie and hope it pans out financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I read the movie cost a whopping $300 million to make. You think it will make that much?
Really heavy advertising budget and I bet their CGI bill was impressive. 'Green Lantern' Cost $300 Million, and You Know What That Means... - MOVIE TALK on Yahoo! Movies

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM

10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Default Mark Strong's movie...

Saw it. Was visual Eye candy, and a far out story. I liked it, Although Blake and Ryan did not have any chemistry on screen. Mark Strong stole the movie in my opinion as Sinestro.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Probably. When you take in domestic ticket sales, international ticket sales, licensing fees, DVD sales, cable rights, etc., it's really hard for a movie to lose money these days. It has to cost a lot to make and be a spectacular bomb before it loses money.

And you have to keep in mind that there are some movies that tank here in the U.S. that do really well in Europe and Asia. The 1998 American-made Godzilla movie is a good example. It did okay in the U.S. Something like $130 million in ticket sales. It did almost twice that in Europe in Asia. And made many millions more in all the other froo-froo. So even though it made its money back and then some, it didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel.

Which, I suspect, will be the case with Green Lantern. But who knows?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Just got done watching this film....

I liked it...I like the super hero and remember him from the X-man origans (Wade)...

Meant to get this movie weeks ago, but instead accidently purchased 'The green hornet' instead...boy was I disappointed..

Anyways...back to this movie production...

It had a fun happy feel to it...script was clean, not overly goofy or full of unessicary humor...
It worked....It is what it was...

Effects were decent...somewhere between Star Wars and Star Trek....

The only thing I get sick of is why must they always weave romantic love stories in with this super hero films?

I think the super hero would do just fine without a love interest...

That goes for spiderman, superman, and batman, and the hulk...why must the writers always try to force feed a romance in middle of these action films....

I just find myself fast forwarding during those scenes...

As a male, I just want to see fight scenes and special effects...

The effects and capabilities of the super hero far out shine any presence a lover brings to the plot...
Unless the lover is secretly evil or something...

That's these male super heros biggest weakness...is their need to impress a lady all the time...

but I notice female super heroes aren't always trying to impress men, or feel they must rush back to their lover...

Female super heros seem content to just be alone...or do their thing without a mans approval...

I just want to see a super hero film where there is no romantic sub plot...

Must every movie under the sun have a boy meets girl sub plot??

I actually found the development of the below character, to be one of the more interesting angles of the movie...

I wish they had spent more time on him, and less on the Green Lanterns love interest...she offered nothing interesting to the film...

But the yellow eyed secret character did...

They kind of did to him, what they did to 'Darth Maul' in the 1st Star Wars installment 'The Phantomn menace'...

They get you all interested in this mysterious being or character just to.....the rest you'll have to see for yourself...
Attached Thumbnails
Green Lantern Movie-green-lantern-villian.png  

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-26-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM

4,923 posts, read 3,934,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Just got done watching this film....

I liked it...I like the super hero and remember him from the X-man origans (Wade)...
You sure about that?

Green Lantern is a DC Comics character whereas X-Men is Marvel.

I'm not saying that they never met up .. I may have missed it?
Quote:
The Green Lantern is the shared primary alias of several fictional characters, superheroes appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. The first Green Lantern (Alan Scott) was created by writer Bill Finger and artist Martin Nodell in All-American Comics #16 (July 1940)

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM

392 posts, read 542,808 times
I guess one has to be a fan of the comic book to actually like this movie. I was very disappointed with the entire movie. The characters just didn't seem to jell and the interactions of the bf/gf were not very well written, maybe as an afterthought. I cannot see how this movie makes back its costs of 300M. Not a chance, well maybe overseas but definitely not here in America.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
I liked it better than Thor or Captain America. But green lantern was always one of my favorite comics as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies