U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times

Advertisements

Just saw it - interested to hear what others think.

Someone put it very well - you will only see it once but you will think about it.

Many walked out during it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times
Smile Went home; read a thorough review

Many questions answered for me - wish I had read the review first!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,596 times
Since I like all of Terence Malick's movies, I'd like to go and watch it once. Roger Ebert gave it four stars. But according to many other reviews, it's a bit too heavy and arty-farty, even to Malick's standards...I haven't made up my mind yet .

Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM

870 posts, read 807,889 times
Deleted

Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,272,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Just saw it - interested to hear what others think.

Someone put it very well - you will only see it once but you will think about it.

Many walked out during it.
I just returned from seeing it. I am not sure what I think, as ridiculous as that sounds. I feel like a lot was wasted on me, maybe I am not intelligent enough to "get it". But, it was so very beautiful. I loved the voices, talking to god, asking questions. I am not sure I followed the ending, I think that was the afterlife, but he wasn't dead, so I guess I am confused. But I did enjoy it. I think? P.S. Any insight would be appreciated

Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
I'm glad I saw it, but can't for the life of me think of anyone I'd recommend it to. Taken as a whole, pretty baffling. Pointlessly self-indulgent in parts. Superb family story, though, although still and all kind of superficial and enigmatic.

If it weren't by Mallick and starring Pitt, no one would go to see it.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 PM

668 posts, read 786,281 times
In my humble opinion, I don't think the point of the movie was for any moviegoer to "get it", but rather to watch a vehicle for Malick's personal take on the "big questions" of nature, life and faith. While watching it I certainly thought the creation and historical scenes were overly self-indulgent and almost boring, although beautiful to watch. By the end, though, i had a different opinion. We get so wrapped up in our daily lives that we find it hard to believe that we aren't the end all/be all of creation, the crowning achievement of everything that has come before us. Yet in the grand scheme of things, the entire history of humanity barely warrants a blip in the timeline of Earth, let alone the universe. Never the less, that doesn't take away from the importance of our individual lives. We are the sum of everything that came before us, but that does not necessarily make us greater or lesser than those events.

Also, I am not a religious person, but I found I could relate to the mother's struggle with her faith. After her questioning of her faith after the death of her son, I thought her final words "I give him to you" to be the most powerful lines in the movie. What a beautiful sentiment from such a terrible tragedy.

But then that's just what I got from the movie. All great "art" leaves itself open to the interpretation of those who view it, so my opinion is no better than someone who got bored and left after the first 45 minutes.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
Isnt this done by the same guy who did "New World"?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
OMG. .. what to say?

During the beginning of the movie, wondered if we'd turned onto another channel .. some documentary doing the artsy-fartsy on beauty of nature program or something.

This movie bored me to tears and can't quite remember another moving at such a slow pace. Even the beauty parts became boring .. when it takes what seems 20 minutes of creative photography to finally unwind to the active volcano they're filming, and such. and it continues on, .. and .. on ..

mercifully, drifted off to slumberland, where it was more exciting

Agree with .. Nast/quote: In my humble opinion, I don't think the point of the movie was for any moviegoer to "get it", but rather to watch a vehicle for Malick's personal take on the "big questions" of nature, life and faith.

Just found his portrayal of life, as a movie, very boring.

Last edited by stone-ground; 10-17-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM

509 posts, read 657,144 times
By far, the worst movie I've seen in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or