Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,235,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Some of us have fond memories of Wiley E. Coyote and the Road Runner.
I guess the guns and explosions I can look past, it's more the "green living" undertone that irked me. I'm all for turning off a light or car pooling, but geeze Pixar get off the soapbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,336,013 times
as I predicted (actually, it's a bit worse), attendance dropped a whopping 62%, the #1 largest 2nd weekend drop in Pixar history. makes me wonder if it will drop out of the top 3 by next weekend

Box office update: 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' posts year's best opening weekend, while 'Pirates' passes $1 billion worldwide | Inside Movies | EW.com

Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times
What do you expect, PC DRECK is always going to be a big fail.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,278 times
I have just watched trailer Car 2 movie. Mostly people like that because it is animated movie.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 AM

759 posts, read 3,142,741 times
Haven't taken the kids to see it yet, but I've heard that there is a lot of anti "Big Oil" messages throughout and a push for electric cars--can anyone confirm this?

The ironic thing, is that if this is true, the Cars gang would be scrapped in a Cash for Clunkers program!

I am tired of the overt propaganda that is rammed down in kids' movies nowadays. My 6 year old daughter loves the Barbie movies--and I must say, most of them are surprisingly good--Swan Lake, THe Nutcracker, Princess and the Pauper. However, Barbie presents Thumbelina was one of the worst kids movies pushing the so-called environmental message I've seen yet.

The girl in the movie finds some fairies in a field where her developer parents are planning to build a shopping center, which will destroy the fairies homes. Of course, this is seen as evil, and in the end, the parents don't build it and stop the evil contruction workers from digging.

I explained to my daughter (who really doesn't get it fully yet) and my 10 year old son that there were better solutions--the fairies could have been moved--they were, after all, only about 6 inches tall! I also said that with the shopping center not being built, there would be no new jobs, and people who lived there who were looking for a job might have to find a place with more jobs.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,466,982 times
My kid loved it so I guess the movie is great.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,992,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I guess the guns and explosions I can look past, it's more the "green living" undertone that irked me. I'm all for turning off a light or car pooling, but geeze Pixar get off the soapbox.

Do you not remember the messages in older animated movies? Where prince meets young fair maiden and they fall in love immediately and get married two days after meeting? That's laughable.

At least these have a legitimate message that kids can learn from. Oil is a problem, finding renewable energy is something to strive for. There is nothing wrong with the messages that Pixar is sending with this movie.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,113,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I explained to my daughter (who really doesn't get it fully yet) and my 10 year old son that there were better solutions--the fairies could have been moved--they were, after all, only about 6 inches tall! I also said that with the shopping center not being built, there would be no new jobs, and people who lived there who were looking for a job might have to find a place with more jobs.
RjRobb2 said it best purplesky. Gives the parent the opportunity to discuss current events with their kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
these have a legitimate message that kids can learn from.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 PM

41,927 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
Haven't taken the kids to see it yet, but I've heard that there is a lot of anti "Big Oil" messages throughout and a push for electric cars--can anyone confirm this?
More like anti-deception or anti-collusion. The real message is: Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Quote:
Do you not remember the messages in older animated movies? Where prince meets young fair maiden and they fall in love immediately and get married two days after meeting? That's laughable.
What about an unmarried woman living with seven men? Now there's a message for you.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,235,371 times
Quote:

At least these have a legitimate message that kids can learn from. Oil is a problem, finding renewable energy is something to strive for. There is nothing wrong with the messages that Pixar is sending with this movie.
Did you type that from the soapbox, or after you got down?

Quote:

The ironic thing, is that if this is true, the Cars gang would be scrapped in a Cash for Clunkers program!

I am tired of the overt propaganda that is rammed down in kids' movies nowadays. My 6 year old daughter loves the Barbie movies--and I must say, most of them are surprisingly good--Swan Lake, THe Nutcracker, Princess and the Pauper. However, Barbie presents Thumbelina was one of the worst kids movies pushing the so-called environmental message I've seen yet.
remember Fern Gully, same type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies