U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times

Advertisements

Ok I saw this last night and I liked it. I thought it was different and the action scenes were done well. However, I did not understand it. Can someone explain? Was that all part of her imagination? Was she in a coma or something? What exactly is the relevance of the title of the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM

400 posts, read 517,662 times
she was committed to an asylum. she fantasized she was in a brothel instead and when she danced in the brothel she went into another fantasy world where she was a soldier/warrior/fighter.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
I just saw it for the first time over the weekend. I loved it!

It was deep; the whole thing was very symbolic and very artistically done.

I was expecting brainless, violent Quentin Tarentino style movie, but this one was great. You had to think to get it though. 4 stars!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

But the movie was basically about a girl in the 1940's who went crazy after her mother died. Her stepfather was an abusive SOB, and while trying to protect her sister from the stepfather, "baby doll" accidentally killed her sister, plunging her over the edge.

"Baby doll" wanted to be free of her insanity; she got what she wanted in an odd way through her labotomy in the end. Her delusions lead to the escape of "Sweet Pea" who was the only one in the assylum who wasn't truly crazy and had a chance of living in the outside world. "Sweet Pea" herself was the real main character, and was lead to freedom through "baby doll's" delusions by a guardian angel (that old guy that kept showing up in the war delusions and as the bus driver in the end).

The story had a lot to say about male vs female power (the bordello was the female power realm of subversion and sex, the war delusions about raw masculine power); "baby dolls" incredible dance that we never saw was an allegory of female sexual powers over men. There was also a strong message of sacrifice; as "babydoll" accepted her fate in the end and happily accepted the oblivion of her labotomy after getting "sweet pea" out of the asylum.

The mad and in my opinion awesome mix (fighing a dragon in a B-25...gunning down zombie huns with today's machineguns and a katana, even a flintlock pistol ...a huge menacing japanese warrior with a minigun.. brilliant! I loved it!) of time and fantasy goes along with the timeless nature of the human mind; our past, present, imagination all mixed together in our own interpretation of the world.

Last edited by Chango; 07-05-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM

355 posts, read 950,124 times
I recall seeing this movie quite some time ago with 5 of my friends, and all of us disliked it . No, it was not overly-complicated for me to comprehend as some might question. I gave it a shot although rottentomatoes and screenrant gave it low grades, and was NOT impressed

The best part of the movie was the soundtrack - which I purchased, lol.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPECELP View Post
I recall seeing this movie quite some time ago with 5 of my friends, and all of us disliked it . No, it was not overly-complicated for me to comprehend as some might question. I gave it a shot although rottentomatoes and screenrant gave it low grades, and was NOT impressed

Maybe I liked it so much because I'm slightly insane myself. You have to be crazy to get it, but when you do get it, it's beautiful.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,453,375 times
Had a free trial of some movie channels this past weekend and this movie was on. I thought it was pretty good. Not the best movie I've seen, but it was solid. I definitely give it credit for being original (compared to all the remakes and stuff that are out there these days).

The soundtrack is good and was ultimately what got me to watch the movie. I was doing some other stuff with the TV on in the background and the music got my attention to make me go see what was on.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
They did a great job with the slowdown. Great movie to have on blue ray

Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,233 times
You can't go wrong with girls, short skirts, and a katana sword.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,083,295 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
You can't go wrong with girls, short skirts, and a katana sword.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,651,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPECELP View Post

I agree. This movie sucked. It was quite average and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies