U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,557 times

Advertisements

Just saw it again on DVD and wanted to recommend it to all of you Very good movie, I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Thanks for the rec. I read the book and was interested in the movie.
I know the critics gave the film so-so reviews but it seems like a lot of people did like it. It's in my Netflix queue.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
I don't think the movie packed the same emotional punch as the book did (do movies ever, though?) It was still a very nice adaptation.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think the movie packed the same emotional punch as the book did (do movies ever, though?) It was still a very nice adaptation.
I agree with you on that. But I think it was a good adaptation compared to The Road. Where the father was more of entering a sort of madness and he kept progressing throughout the book. And the kid was more of the good in humanity. But The Road, was not bad, its just the adaptation from the book could have been done better. However, for Never Let Me Go, I think it did do the book justice while not being entirely emotionally distraught. You know?

I still recommend the movie AND the book.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
I had never heard of either the book or the movie and just caught the movie on HBO.
Had no idea what I was watching or what to expect.
While watching it seems a rather slow and quiet movie, not much story arc...I mean at some point it becomes apparent what is going on and its something that has been put forward in other movies/books so not totally shocking although a disturbing idea.
And yet by movies end its the very understated, matter of fact approach to the reality of this world that makes it such a strong feeling and message. All other movies of this type their is someone with outrage, the 'victims' fight back. acceptance in this, just throws you. The movie ends and you think, um, good, a little quiet, different. And then you're in traffic two weeks later and you remember it. Its very much a slow burn sort of powerful.
I recommend it

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 AM

629 posts, read 980,737 times
I think I need another viewing of this movie to digest it properly, but I put this in that interesting genre of "science fiction of words" where the sci-fi is in the ideas and the dialogue, not visuals:

- Gattaca
- The Man From Earth
- Sound of My Voice
- Another Earth
- Pontypool

Am I missing any that are worth checking out?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
This is labeled sci-fi but is it? Not for long anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies