U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times

Advertisements

Wow...I can see not seeing The Shining...but Forrest Gump!? Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, one of my good friend's wife has never seen a Star Wars movie. When we asked her why, she said, "Oh, you know...I don't do sci fi."

To me, Star Wars isn't even about the sci fi. It's simply iconic.

Another friend of mine (who has three kids, btw), has never seen The Sound of Music. Wtf? Who hasn't seen TSOM?

Ah, but for myself, I have never watched The Godfather (I tried, but gangster movies bore me to death) and I found Pulp Fiction to be obnoxious and boring, as well (though I don't think PF is the same level as TG), so I have never watched it beginning to end.

Which movies have you never seen that might surprise?
Or someone you know hasn't seen something that defines a generation (and they are that generation) or that is iconic?
I haven't seen Star Wars or The Sound of Music. No particular reason, except for they don't seem like my kind of thing. It took me forever, just recently saw Schindler's List.. movies about the Holocaust are just painful to me.. Never saw The English Patient, Never saw Sense and Sensibility, and despite being a big Scorsese fan, never saw The Age of Reason.. But that said, I do realize that I just flat out make bad choices as to the movies that I will or won't watch.. case in point: last night I watched the Sofia Coppola thing, "Somewhere".. should have been called "Nowhere" or more to the point, "Nothing"..

Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 AM

22,225 posts, read 5,499,499 times
I agree with you Stan about most of the film output at the moment being a load
of tripe. But, I think I read somewhere that the average age of moviegoers these
days is about 14. So, you get films made for the audience that part with their money
at the box office. Such as the new Transformers movie. This sort of film is of no
interest to me - although my 33 year old son is looking forward to it, but I suppose
he'll grow up soon.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
When my city's indie theatre closed, I quit going to the movies....and stan4, I too have not seen all of the Godfather; did see the first Star Wars but no more...no Lord of the Rings either.

Any movie that is destined to be a blockbluster I usually avoid. HULU.com has some interesting indie movies as well as classics and for free. Seems surprising that more people do not see these types of interesting films but then if the age average is 14.....

No need to chastise someone who has not seen a film.....but still it is fun to see who has seen what... or not! I avoid silly/inane films and have not seen Blazing Saddles, Adam Sandler films, Mean Girls and no horror films...have not seen Nightmare on Elm, Scream etc. But if it poignant, or based on history or has an awesome plot, ok. I finally like British films but it took a while! Howard's End, The Queen, Return to Bleak House.

Forrest Gump might appear a film about a goofy Southern guy but that would be an incorrect assumption. You just have to watch it to get the message .

I love talking movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, no joke. Especially these days. Almost everything is total crap and drivel.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I've never seen Jaws. The only reason I ever saw Titanic or Avatar is because my sister made me watch them at her house and I had to force myself to stay awake through them. I can't remember if Ive seen all the Godfathers or not. I never saw any of those Hannibal Lecter things. I watched one of the Saw movies, and I thought the production was interesting, but an hour was about enough of it. Never saw Forrest Gump or Dumb and Dumber---those were two different movies, right?

I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of any of the current top ten TV shows, but I think I watched one of the survivor shows once at my sister's house.

I also don't eat the same things everyone else does, and I don't vacation where everyone else goes.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
I did not see Hannibal movies either or Avatar....no tv here so have not seen top 10 shows or reality shows although HULU.com offers some of them.

My eating habits are different too and I always do my best to avoid typical vacation spots . Oh, and I have never seen the entire Casablanca movie-which apparently means to some that I am some kind of alien being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've never seen Jaws. The only reason I ever saw Titanic or Avatar is because my sister made me watch them at her house and I had to force myself to stay awake through them. I can't remember if Ive seen all the Godfathers or not. I never saw any of those Hannibal Lecter things. I watched one of the Saw movies, and I thought the production was interesting, but an hour was about enough of it. Never saw Forrest Gump or Dumb and Dumber---those were two different movies, right?

I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of any of the current top ten TV shows, but I think I watched one of the survivor shows once at my sister's house.

I also don't eat the same things everyone else does, and I don't vacation where everyone else goes.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
When you say you found Pulp Fiction obnoxious and boring, I'm guessing that you saw it at home, not in a theater. There is no way you would have been bored in a theater.

As for The Sound of Music, I deliberately avoided seeing it for years, figuring I wouldn't like it, but finally it was showing somewhere that I could see it for free, so I went, and, yes, didn't much like it.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,328,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Spoiler
When my city's indie theatre closed, I quit going to the movies....and stan4, I too have not seen all of the Godfather; did see the first Star Wars but no more...no Lord of the Rings either.

Any movie that is destined to be a blockbluster I usually avoid. HULU.com has some interesting indie movies as well as classics and for free. Seems surprising that more people do not see these types of interesting films but then if the age average is 14.....

No need to chastise someone who has not seen a film.....but still it is fun to see who has seen what... or not! I avoid silly/inane films and have not seen Blazing Saddles, Adam Sandler films, Mean Girls and no horror films...have not seen Nightmare on Elm, Scream etc. But if it poignant, or based on history or has an awesome plot, ok. I finally like British films but it took a while! Howard's End, The Queen, Return to Bleak House.

Forrest Gump might appear a film about a goofy Southern guy but that would be an incorrect assumption. You just have to watch it to get the message .

I love talking movies!
Having been raised to be a Forrest Gump and lived through decades of corrective pain, I don't think I'd feel good about seeing the movie.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
My spouse has still not seen "Rocky" - OMG I have seen that movie dozens of times, love it. Who has NOT see Rocky?!!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
I'm not chastising people for not watching a movie...I am just talking about being surprised.

People do know that Forrest Gump is not a comedy, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or