U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: St Augustine
247 posts, read 214,201 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

I've met people who haven't seen Scream, any of it....

The first one was like instant classic, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 786,281 times
Reputation: 594
I was speaking with a friend recently about Super 8 and he mentioned he had never seen The Goonies. I didn't think you could be a teenager in the 80's without seeing that.

Also, a few years ago I met someone in his mid-20's who stated he had never seen a movie that was made prior to 1990 and had no interest in doing so. His argument was that if something was considered good enough from back then, they would just re-make it. I had a hard time getting around that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 1,026,571 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post

Also, a few years ago I met someone in his mid-20's who stated he had never seen a movie that was made prior to 1990 and had no interest in doing so. His argument was that if something was considered good enough from back then, they would just re-make it. I had a hard time getting around that one.

I am exactly like that, only replace 1990 with 1972 ('72 was when The Godfather was released). I've never to this day ever seen a movie that was made prior to 1972 that didn't make me want to fall asleep. Movies from the so called "Golden Era" of Hollywood are even more dull than the crap made today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I was speaking with a friend recently about Super 8 and he mentioned he had never seen The Goonies. I didn't think you could be a teenager in the 80's without seeing that.

.
That is a very good point. For quite a few, if not most, of the movies that have been listed here, the answer to the question "Why haven't you seen it?", is "Because I wasn't a teenager in that decade."

When I was a teenager, everybody saw "Blackboard Jungle" and "Jailhouse Rock" and "Shane" and "Rebel Without a Cause" and "On the Waterfront" and "Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow". I can't believe you never saw those. How did you stand in front of the drug store, without being able to quote lines from those pictures?
"Hey, Daddy-Oh"
"Come back, Shane"
"I could a been a contender."
I think all of those are now in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-01-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 AM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Reputation: 19530
I've never seen "It's A Wonderful Life" and yes I know that is shocking
I've heard about it and have no interest in watching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I was speaking with a friend recently about Super 8 and he mentioned he had never seen The Goonies. I didn't think you could be a teenager in the 80's without seeing that.

Also, a few years ago I met someone in his mid-20's who stated he had never seen a movie that was made prior to 1990 and had no interest in doing so. His argument was that if something was considered good enough from back then, they would just re-make it. I had a hard time getting around that one.
I saw all the kiddo 80s movies in the 80s but somehow managed to miss The Goonies. Saw it bc it's one of my wife's favorite movies.

Even if they remake a movie, the original is usually a million times better. That's your argument around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
I am exactly like that, only replace 1990 with 1972 ('72 was when The Godfather was released). I've never to this day ever seen a movie that was made prior to 1972 that didn't make me want to fall asleep. Movies from the so called "Golden Era" of Hollywood are even more dull than the crap made today.
Watch Father Goose.
Mrs Miniver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I've never seen any of The Godfathers [I really have no interest in seeing them] and I've never watched all of Scarface [Something always comes up when I watch it]. I've also never seen a lot of the Disney classics like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and The Best and more.

I'm always shocked when someone hasn't seen The Color Purple.
Can't watch it all the way through. At the same time boring and disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I've never seen "It's A Wonderful Life" and yes I know that is shocking
I've heard about it and have no interest in watching it.
This falls into the category of movies as an art form, that are worth seeing because they are of cinematic import, irrespective of their subject matter that you "have no interest in watching". A movie as an art form is far more than storytelling.

For example, I might never have gone to see "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" or "Carmen--A Hip Hopera" if someone had told it was "just a musical". Yet, both were worth seeing, and it doesn't surprise me at all that few have seen them.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-02-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: England
22,225 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Reputation: 29102
I find it had to understand todays so called film fans who have no interest in the
history of film, but I understand to an extent because both my sons have no
interest in old films, yet they love some modern films. What I find with most films
made in the last ten years or so, is that when you have seen them once, thats
enough. With the films of the thirties and forties you can go back and watch them
over and over again. I don't know why, it's just so. I have been lucky enough in
my lifetime to meet three old stars, James Stewart, Ingrid Bergman and Mickey
Rooney. Each of them great artists in their own way. Talking to each of them, I
realised how much film meant to them and to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top