U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22588

Advertisements

Ellen Burnstyne (sp), Jennifer Connelly and Jared Leto, all 3 stunning in Requiem for a Dream.

This movie was never rated and as such, borders on one of the darkest films I have EVER seen. Each of them fall (separately but inter-relatedly) into the depths of h*ll ie pills, drugs & alcohol, sex trades etc. It is actually scary and repulsive at points, quite good (I assume) at portraying the lowest rungs you can be on as a human being.

Anyone else see this?
Don't see it unless you are open-minded and maybe like 50 yrs old............some scenes stayed with me a very long time and I am old as dirt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,727 posts, read 5,186,103 times
Reputation: 1962
This seems to be a little known movie, but Josh Lucas and Barry Watson were both in When Strangers Appear.

Great movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Reputation: 2570
James Mason in The Verdict
Jason Robards in ALL the President's Men
Charlotte Rampling in The Swimming Pool

Swimming Pool (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Ellen Burnstyne (sp), Jennifer Connelly and Jared Leto, all 3 stunning in Requiem for a Dream.

This movie was never rated and as such, borders on one of the darkest films I have EVER seen. Each of them fall (separately but inter-relatedly) into the depths of h*ll ie pills, drugs & alcohol, sex trades etc. It is actually scary and repulsive at points, quite good (I assume) at portraying the lowest rungs you can be on as a human being.

Anyone else see this?
Don't see it unless you are open-minded and maybe like 50 yrs old............some scenes stayed with me a very long time and I am old as dirt!
I have and I believe it was you who suggested it. Strong cast performance allowed a horrific insight into drug addiction and the havoc it leaves in its wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Kenai, AK
169 posts, read 120,822 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I have and I believe it was you who suggested it. Strong cast performance allowed a horrific insight into drug addiction and the havoc it leaves in its wake.
if you love ellen burstyn you should check her out in a very small movie called Walking Across Egypt. Soooooooooooo good. has the middle child from Home Improvement/voice of Simba and Judge Reinhold.

very sweet movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
if you love ellen burstyn you should check her out in a very small movie called Walking Across Egypt. Soooooooooooo good. has the middle child from Home Improvement/voice of Simba and Judge Reinhold.

very sweet movie
Thanks!!! Ellen Burstyn is one of the few credible actresses that can salvage a movie even in its worst. I'll download this one. I've come across some terrific movies suggested by you and a few others here that I would not have watched otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,811,905 times
Reputation: 2570
Lawrence Fishburne in Always Outnumbered..


YouTube - ‪Always Outnumbered part1 pl‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Reputation: 14289
Michael Madsen in War Games.


YouTube - ‪Michael Madsen in Wargames‬‏

I also just realized that Art LaFluer was a guard in that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 AM
 
Location: The state between California and Washington
678 posts, read 218,524 times
Reputation: 590
Christopher Walken
Scotland, Pa. 2001
A twisted comedy adaptation of Shakespeare's MACBETH.
If you're a Christopher Walken fan, this is a must-see movie!
Amy Smart is in this too.

Last edited by Mad Hatter 10/6; 07-14-2011 at 04:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 AM
 
Location: The state between California and Washington
678 posts, read 218,524 times
Reputation: 590
Joan Bennett as the Rag Lady
This House Possessed 1981

One of my favorite made-for-TV movies, ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top