U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM

110 posts, read 80,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
i'm sorry but the young generation nowadays is just disappointing. and think about it! these kids will be voting and determining how the senior citizens are treated in the future

this generation of entitlement, where RYAN DUNN from jackass and the whole jackass crew are "heroes" (if you don't believe me on this check out his FB "fan" pages), lazy and obnoxiously stupid though think they know it all.

I was a med trans for a few years in Nevada and I was amazed at all the dictations i'd receive for young girls (13-14) coming in to get on the pill because she was sexually active. Oh hell how many were pregnant.

my son's first sexual experience at 15 (pissed me off) was w/a tramp that already had a child at 14 yrs old from my son's best friend. son didn't know how i found out about it (mother's have their ways).

kids are whores now, male and female. I remember in HS you'd see bf/gf always together and you'd assume they were "doing it" but it was not discussed let alone bragged about. but when you found out a girl was screwing around w/multiple guys the talk started. and this was only in late 80s.
Yeah, shake your cane at the younger generations some more, that's productive. For every person who thought Ryan Dunn was a hero, there were 200 kids thinking Roger Ebert was the hero in that situation. What about the Boomer generation's incessant, undeserved praise of Elvis? Dude died on a toilet from a drug overdose, and he had children. Now the boomers trek to Graceland every year to worship him. Your generation made heroes out of Motley Crue, chucking a TV out a hotel window. Now the top rock bands for tweens wear purity rings for crissakes!

Anyone who throws out the "these damned kids" argument is a complete and utter hypocrite. Just because you lived a sheltered adolescence doesn't mean there weren't whores in your era, too.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,884,343 times
I don't mind sex scenes in movies, but I hate how the film industry always uses sex as a clutch to make up for an otherwise weak plot (or in some cases, no plot at all). Movies like Friends With Benefits completely lack a compelling story. Too many movies today are just mindless smut and innuendo with nothing else to balance them out. It's disappointing.

I have the same problem with many of today's comedies - they rely too heavily on cheap, crude humor (and in some cases, shock factor), but completely neglect the story line.

That being said, there have been some great and inventive movies in recent years that I have truly loved. I just find it sad that the majority of movies are contributing to (as another poster put it), "the dumbing down of society."

Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM

16,317 posts, read 12,582,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBeavs View Post
Why attribute this to the young generations? Wasn't it the boomer generation that launched the "free love" movement in the 60s? Blame them. This "gall-darn kids!" argument is as cliched as a bad sex movie.

You'd never understand the "free love movement". You're way off base.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You'd never understand the "free love movement". You're way off base.
Did you want to explain yourself, or just continue to look petulant? The "free love" came on the heels of The Pill, and included the concept of casual sex, women's independence with regard to sex and their bodies (hence the subsequent ERA fight, and Roe v. Wade), etc. This is no different than what people complain about now in terms of America's youth and sexual freedom.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I don't mind sex scenes in movies, but I hate how the film industry always uses sex as a clutch to make up for an otherwise weak plot (or in some cases, no plot at all). Movies like Friends With Benefits completely lack a compelling story. Too many movies today are just mindless smut and innuendo with nothing else to balance them out. It's disappointing.

I have the same problem with many of today's comedies - they rely too heavily on cheap, crude humor (and in some cases, shock factor), but completely neglect the story line.

That being said, there have been some great and inventive movies in recent years that I have truly loved. I just find it sad that the majority of movies are contributing to (as another poster put it), "the dumbing down of society."
Movies use violence more than sex as a "crutch" to make up for lack of plot. Funny how most parents and holier-than-thou MPAA apologists are more quick to defend the violence than the sex, however. That's what irritates me.

I'd rather my son watch two people having sex than watch someone cut another guy's head off.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Thread temporarily closed for moderator review.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: and it is staying closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or