Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm old (62). The other day I was thinking about how it was to go to a movie when I was a kid. I can't remember how much it cost. 50 cents maybe. You had to sit through a boring newsreel but could then look forward to a couple of Disney cartoons. Finally, there was the movie. Sometimes they showed two different movies back to back: a "double feature." When I first started going to movies as a kid, and even up into high school (I graduated in 1967), there was always a kind of anticipation as to whether the movie was going to be in color or not. I was always really bummed out to find out it was going to be in black and white.

What do you remember about movies back in the good old days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Smuggling candy into the theater. There was a discount store next to the movie theater. My friend and I would load up on candy and shove in our pockets. Of course, this was before cargo pants/shorts were around. It'd be even easier today.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Same as Brill. STuffing my pants with canned sodas and candy from the mart next door. It really sucks that that movies cost like 13 dollars(17 for 3d) where i live now. Might as well just wait and buy the darn thing on disc.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
I remember the cartoons before the show and how they would give away free popcorn to the kids after the show (whatever didn't sell)!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I didn't go to movies much as a kid. I didn't come to love them until college.

However, I heard something interesting from an elderly friend of mine. She said that people used to come in routinely in the middle of the movie and then stay until it began again and watched the beginning (I do remember this) - but that the habit began to stop when a particular movie came out ... for some odd reason, I think she said Diabolique, although that seems unlikely. But it was a suspense movie that didn't permit people to enter midway.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,879 times
I'm a bit younger and I remember the movie entrance was 65 cents. My favorite thing was to buy a pretzel from the candy store. They came stacked on a wooden dowel is a display made of clear plastic. Those were the best pretzels ever. What is sold today does not even come close.

I loved the Looney Toons they played before the main feature. Usually the Road Runner, or some Bugs Bunny and sometimes they switched to Popeye the Sailor.

They usually showed two movies and you can stay and watch them again if you wanted to. The hot dogs were much better and so was the popcorn.

Going to the movies was a great time in times past. Today I just wait until the movie comes to Redbox and I rent it for 99c, since I have a big HD monitor with 5.1 surround on my computer.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
I'll refrain from reverting all the way back to my childhood cinematic memories, but will instead take tha celluloid trip down memory lane back to my high school days. I remember going to drive-ins once in awhile back in San Jose, CA with my buddies. We'd always sneak one of us in the trunk so as to save on some admission fees, which we always felt were better spent on beer. Once inside, we'd load-up on Schlitz Malt Liquor 16oz. cans. We called 'em "Bulls." Maybe we'd fire up a fattie or two and fog up the windows. The fare was usually Kung Fu flicks with Bruce Lee, or some high octane action-adventure movie.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Movies used to have such a magical quality to them when I was a kid, I remember when I was 10 years old I saw "Star Wars" and it was so awesome, made me feel so good, when I got home I took a broom and pretended it was a lightsaber and I was a jedi master...these days movies just don't have that magic for me anymore, if I watch a movie and like it, I'll go Ehh it was okay, but I wouldn't go nuts over it like I did when I was a kid.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
I grew up down the street from a drive-in (it's still there amazingly) and those late 60's and 70's cars had large trunks

Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 AM

66 posts, read 155,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so I'm old (62). The other day I was thinking about how it was to go to a movie when I was a kid. I can't remember how much it cost. 50 cents maybe. You had to sit through a boring newsreel but could then look forward to a couple of Disney cartoons. Finally, there was the movie. Sometimes they showed two different movies back to back: a "double feature." When I first started going to movies as a kid, and even up into high school (I graduated in 1967), there was always a kind of anticipation as to whether the movie was going to be in color or not. I was always really bummed out to find out it was going to be in black and white.

What do you remember about movies back in the good old days?
I'll be 62 next month and also graduated in 67. I recall alot of the same as you. I don't remember the cost. I grew up in a small town in Texas. The theater in the movie The Last Picture Show is quite the same. My memories of the 50's is all of us kids riding our bikes into town on saturday mornings.
Parking the bikes in a bike stand right out in front of the theater without having to lock it up. Another memory is the theater had Air Conditioning of which most houses didn't back then (Texas). The theater is also where you would first start dating. If you can call just arranging to meet a girl there dating. In the 60's it was the drive-in and yep i've been in many a trunk, but also steamed up a few windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies