U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM

825 posts, read 949,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're joking, right? Foofur???? If the viewer is seven years old ... maybe. But a cartoon that stands the test of time and is enjoyable to both adults and children? Foofur???? In what universe?

A lot of them, sure. But I give you:

Jimmy Neutron
The Fairly Oddparents
Samurai Jack
The Clone Wars
King of the Hill
Futurama
The Simpsons
Spongebob
Spectacular Spider-Man

And if you want to bring the '90s into the discussion:

Batman: The Animated Series
Pinky & the Brain
Animaniacs
Gargoyles
X-Men

Any one of those puts the best '80s cartoon to shame.

The Smurfs? I won't even say it isn't in their league. The Smurfs isn't even in the same smurfin' sport.
The 90's maybe, but 2000's to today, their all junk except spongebob

Here are 80's cartoons and stuff that are better than the junk today.

The Smurfs
Transformers
G.I. Joe
Foofur
Bizkitts
Alvin and the chipmunks
Gummi Bears
Garfield and Friends ( Even though that lasted until 1995)
The 80's Jetsons
Fraggle Rock
You can't do that on television
Ducktales
Thundercats
Muppet Babies
Super Mario Bros (and not that idiotic movie they had in the 90's)
Kissyfur

Last edited by miamifloridafan; 07-04-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM

And I Only like the early to mid 90's of the simpsons, that was the cartoon of the day, bart mania, The Who Shot Mr. Burns a spoof of who shot jr.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:49 PM

The 90's were the start of the end of american cartoons, today's cartoons have no creativity and no heart.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Here are 80's cartoons and stuff that are better than the junk today.
The Smurfs --- Entertainment for little kids. For older kids and adults? Nah. It's blue cotton candy. Nothing more.

Transformers --- 22 minute commercials elevated to entertainment only by the quality of the writing. Loses points for bad, ugly animation.

G.I. Joe --- Ditto.

Foofur --- Cute. A classic? No.

Bizkitts --- I honestly don't even remember this one.

Alvin and the chipmunks --- Again, ok if you're seven years old. If you want your cartoons to have more than just cutesy? No.

Gummi Bears --- 22 minute candy commercials.

Garfield and Friends --- A good cartoon, yes. Even the dreck of the '80s had its exceptions.

The 80's Jetsons --- Never saw it.

Fraggle Rock --- The cartoon or the muppet show? The muppet show was undoubtedly a classic. Very much agreed. But it's not a cartoon. Was there a Fraggle Rock cartoon? If so, I don't remember it.

You can't do that on television --- Was that a cartoon? I don't remember.

Ducktales --- A great cartoon, yes. Another exception to the rule. Great animation, great writing, and entertaining for both adults and kids. One of the '80s finest cartoon moments.

Thundercats --- Never could get into it, even as a kid. It struck me as He-Man meets the Village People.

Muppet Babies --- Good cartoon, yes. Cute enough for kids and witty enough for adults. Perhaps the '80s second-best cartoon.

Super Mario Bros (and not that idiotic movie they had in the 90's) --- Another over-long commercial.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm glad I Put this piece of crap Mark S. on ignore

this new smurfs movie is gonna be absolute trash and long time fans know this.
even today's kids will hate this.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
The 90's were the start of the end of american cartoons, today's cartoons have no creativity and no heart.
Wrong.

The '70s nearly killed American cartoons. Because cartoons were mandated to be done on the cheap and intended only to sell cereal and toys on Saturday mornings, 1970s cartoons became strangled by formula and horrid animation.

The '80s only continued this trend --- and then some. At least in the '70s, cartoons were only intended to attract kids so that networks could air the commercials. In the '80s, the shows BECAME the commercials (Smurfs, Care Bears, Gummi Bears, My Little Pony, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, etc.) It wasn't about story or character or even good animation. It was all about selling product.

The WB saved American cartoons in the '90s, giving us Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, etc. Real art returned to the animation, intelligence came back to the writing on a level that hadn't been seen since the '50s Chuck Jones classics, and stories were so good that they appealed to both adults and kids.

Disney even got its groove back in the '90s (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King).

And then along comes Pixar, doing all of the above and then some.

The '90s may have been crap for music, but for animation, it was a new golden era.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM

I Hope this new smurfs movie crashes and burns.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Plus the smurfs time travel to NY City.
that is wrong.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're joking, right? Foofur???? If the viewer is seven years old ... maybe. But a cartoon that stands the test of time and is enjoyable to both adults and children? Foofur???? In what universe?

A lot of them, sure. But I give you:

Jimmy Neutron
The Fairly Oddparents
Samurai Jack
The Clone Wars
King of the Hill
Futurama
The Simpsons

Spongebob
Spectacular Spider-Man

And if you want to bring the '90s into the discussion:

Batman: The Animated Series
Pinky & the Brain
Animaniacs
Gargoyles
X-Men

Any one of those puts the best '80s cartoon to shame.

The Smurfs? I won't even say it isn't in their league. The Smurfs isn't even in the same smurfin' sport.
The highlighted ones are not for children. I enjoy them immensely, but they're not for kids. Neither is South Park.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
Worst film of the 21st century, lol NO! What about Norbit, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux, and any super hero movie after Iron Man 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or