U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM

825 posts, read 949,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Worst film of the 21st century, lol NO! What about Norbit, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux, and any super hero movie after Iron Man 2.
and Believe me, the smurfs will be up with those garbage movies as one of the worst of the century.

Peyo would be absolutely ashamed at this if were alive, it's been almost 2 decades since he died in christmas time 1992.
the death of peyo and the time traveling season 9 was the beginning of the end of the legacy of the smurfs.

and this upcoming movie will be the final nail in the coffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM

And look what they did to the smurfs, they don't even look like them, just terrible.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The highlighted ones are not for children. I enjoy them immensely, but they're not for kids. Neither is South Park.
Little kids? Yeah, you're right. Older kids? Shows like Clone Wars and The Simpsons are fine for older kids.

I wouldn't put South Park on a best of list. Occasionally it's fantastic. But it's just obnoxious more often than not.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Default The Smurfs will be the worst film of the 21st century

WTF is up with the nasty Scottish smurf?! I don't remember that from the cartoon.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wrong.

The '70s nearly killed American cartoons. Because cartoons were mandated to be done on the cheap and intended only to sell cereal and toys on Saturday mornings, 1970s cartoons became strangled by formula and horrid animation.

The '80s only continued this trend --- and then some. At least in the '70s, cartoons were only intended to attract kids so that networks could air the commercials. In the '80s, the shows BECAME the commercials (Smurfs, Care Bears, Gummi Bears, My Little Pony, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, etc.) It wasn't about story or character or even good animation. It was all about selling product.

The WB saved American cartoons in the '90s, giving us Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, etc. Real art returned to the animation, intelligence came back to the writing on a level that hadn't been seen since the '50s Chuck Jones classics, and stories were so good that they appealed to both adults and kids.

Disney even got its groove back in the '90s (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King).

And then along comes Pixar, doing all of the above and then some.

The '90s may have been crap for music, but for animation, it was a new golden era.
For me the 80's saved cartoons from extinction, that was the new golden era.
and yes it selling a commercial product, but at least it had a story, characters and situations.
Especially the smurfs.

I Rather watch 80's cartoons then watch all of the junk now and 2000's to present era had none of the talent nor substance that the 80's had and yes 90's was the second golden era, it was also the beginning of the end of cartoons as well, it started becoming bad in the mid to late 1990's

Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
WTF is up with the nasty Scottish smurf?! I don't remember that from the cartoon.
Shame
this is gonna be really one of the absolute worst films of the year.

A True disgrace to the classic and comic strip.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM

And Jonathan Winters, you may have been great as grandpa smurf in the original cartoon series the smurfs, but you are no the late don messick here as papa smurf.

and yes the 80's were selling products in cartoons, but 90's and 2000's were selling products from cartoons as well.
tiny toon adventures video game, the power rangers mania, spongebob square pants and others.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM

This show saved NBC Saturday Morning cartoons and television cartoons as a whole.

YouTube - ‪Joe Barbera on developing "The Smurfs" TV series - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG‬‏

Barbera saved the show.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,035,814 times
I totally want to see it! I hope they let us know if the Smurfs have sex and if they are all gay? If not, I really feel for the girl -smurf!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I totally want to see it! I hope they let us know if the Smurfs have sex and if they are all gay? If not, I really feel for the girl -smurf!
Not to me, I'll stick to the original cartoon thank you very much.

The Original cartoon had substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or