U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,035,814 times

Advertisements

Ask your 6 year old if they hate it compared to the 80s version! Please. Guess what, I can't stand many cartoons but my kid loves them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,035,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Not to me, I'll stick to the original cartoon thank you very much.

The Original cartoon had substance.

Wow, you really need to chill out a little.
I guess my joke was not understood..

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

825 posts, read 949,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You all are pathetic! The Smurfs is a kids cartoon/ movie! Ask your 6 year old if they hate it compared to the 80s version! Please. Guess what, I can't stand many cartoons but my kid loves them all.
But this smurfs movie is a dreadful version of the cartoon series, even kids will hate this.

This smurfs movie stinks and thank god some people are finally seeing it.
it makes the transformers sequels and G.I. Joe look classic.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I totally want to see it! I hope they let us know if the Smurfs have sex and if they are all gay? If not, I really feel for the girl -smurf!
She got smurfed by the whole village of Smurfs in a giant smurfbang...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,778 times
But will it be worse then Howard The Duck

Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
But will it be worse then Howard The Duck
Howard the Duck was a terrible movie too, but this will be just as horrible.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Howard the Duck is one of those movies that's so unbelievably bad that it transcends its own awfulness to become almost good. Not as so-bad-it's-good as Flash Gordon, but still a great movie for a bad movie night.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I assume the targeted audience is not most of us though. I agree it looks utterly dismal and I find it depressing that kids will be fed this kind of garbage but what is surely far worse is all the absolute trash being made for adults which is patronising, exploitative, unimaginative, unoriginal , CGI fests with poorly written scripts.

Some of the Hollywood films I have enjoyed the most in recent years have been animated films such as "Up" and "ShreK", "Ice Age", Monsters Inc", "Toy Story" etc... all of very high calibre with intelligent and sophisticated humour and superb animation.

However when it comes to naming fabulous films targeted mostly at adults from the mainstream film industry I really do struggle.

"The Smurfs" should have never been a cartoon in the first place. I grew up reading the books and they were quite good fun for small kids. It is as though film executives cannot possibly think of something original and thus end up ruining perfectly decent ideas. ( don't even get me started on American remakes of foreign films).

The worst film of the century to me would have to be one targeted at an adult audience because this is where it becomes utterly unforgiveable when it is so bad. "The Smurfs" are aimed at tiny tots who will just accept whatever is thrown at them and love the bright colours and mawkishness of it all. What is our excuse as adults however for seeking the crap we do on a regular basis ?

Mainstream cinema has completely lost its way and I think "The Smurfs" are the least of our concern as far as I am concerned to be honest. I look at the list of Hollywood films of the last decade and weep quite frankly. We are getting the movies we deserve in many ways and it ain't pretty.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I assume the targeted audience is not most of us though. I agree it looks utterly dismal and I find it depressing that kids will be fed this kind of garbage but what is surely far worse is all the absolute trash being made for adults which is patronising, exploitative, unimaginative, unoriginal , CGI fests with poorly written scripts.

Some of the Hollywood films I have enjoyed the most in recent years have been animated films such as "Up" and "ShreK", "Ice Age", Monsters Inc", "Toy Story" etc... all of very high calibre with intelligent and sophisticated humour and superb animation.

However when it comes to naming fabulous films targeted mostly at adults from the mainstream film industry I really do struggle.

"The Smurfs" should have never been a cartoon in the first place. I grew up reading the books and they were quite good fun for small kids. It is as though film executives cannot possibly think of something original and thus end up ruining perfectly decent ideas. ( don't even get me started on American remakes of foreign films).

The worst film of the century to me would have to be one targeted at an adult audience because this is where it becomes utterly unforgiveable when it is so bad. "The Smurfs" are aimed at tiny tots who will just accept whatever is thrown at them and love the bright colours and mawkishness of it all. What is our excuse as adults however for seeking the crap we do on a regular basis ?

Mainstream cinema has completely lost its way and I think "The Smurfs" are the least of our concern as far as I am concerned to be honest. I look at the list of Hollywood films of the last decade and weep quite frankly. We are getting the movies we deserve in many ways and it ain't pretty.
The Smurfs was better as a comic strip and a cartoon then this piece of trash movie.
Hanna-Barbera would roll in their graves as we speak.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Howard the Duck is one of those movies that's so unbelievably bad that it transcends its own awfulness to become almost good. Not as so-bad-it's-good as Flash Gordon, but still a great movie for a bad movie night.
Yep.
Howard the duck was a big failure and so is this smurfs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or