U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times

Advertisements

To throw some more into the mix

Qui Gon was killed yet he can still communicate with the living. Id say thats pretty powerful

Obi Wan never actually died but instead became one with the force and communicated with the living as well.

Galen Marek aka Starkiller kicked both vader and the emperors butt in force unleashed placing him above both of them.

Darth Sion could consume entire planets

Darth Traya trained Darth sion and a few other powerful sith lords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,961,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I love the movies and have read a lot of the novels, but I figure most people are movie folk, so I will put this question in this subforum.

ROTJ is on right now, and Vader has just thrown the Emperor down one of those ubiquitous deep shaft holes that imperil so many of the characters in these movies. (OSHA would have a field day with these guys.)

Luke was getting the living bejeesus zapped out of him, and Vader was lying injured just moments before.

If Vader hadn't stepped in, Luke woulda been roasted weenie.

So does this mean (and forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum and the answer is already agreed upon) that the Emperor is the most powerful wielder of The Force in the galaxy? He was beating the crap out of Luke, who had just beated the crap out of Vader...
Well yea. Palpatine had been using the force way longer than Anakin, Yoda could not trump Palpatine either, so the answer is yea. Anakin got zapped too when he was picking Palpatine up to throw him over the railing. The electricity is what damaged Anakins breathing system.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think Luke goes on to be considered the most powerful force user, at least in the EU( expanded universe). You have to consider that he was still a rookie Jedi in that movie, so while his raw power in the force may have been enough for Vader, it wasn't for the emperor. But looking at the 6 part series in retrospect now, I have the following comments:

1) Anakin was supposed to have the most force power because of the midiclorian count( that BS they came up with in the Phantom menace, and never heard about again funny enough). But Anakin's superiority wasn't that well-shown in the grand scheme of it all.

2) Considering Yoda had faced the emperor and knew about his lightning attacks, you'd figured he'd have taught Luke how to combat it( as he did in Revenge of the Sith). But judging by the end of the Return of the Jedi, Luke obviously had no knowledge of this darkside power, or at least hadn't been taught to repel it.

3) When you really think about how Palpatine was shown throughout the series, the way he died at the end was pretty cheap.
Yea well his trust in Anakin was the reason for his demise. Anakin had emotional attachment issues to his family, from his mom to his wife to his son. He just wanted to save his family and seemed to want to do it by any means. Luke is the only one he was really able to save.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I don't see how someone as powerful as the Emp could not stop or slow his fall with the force, has wasnt even hurt or injured when Vader threw him over. Just bad story telling, really. I also don't buy into the vast SW mythos that Lucas "created", I belive he had a clear vision for the first movie and perhaps the second, the rest he "reverse engioneerd or made up as he went along (not unlke LOST). I think the SW universe is just a pale shadow or great living bodies of work created by masters like Tolkien or Roddenbury & fans.
Thats a bit much....Palpatine was an old man in Episode 1....he was not young. Palpatine was about 20 to 30 years older than Obi wan. Obi Wan in ep 4 was about Palpatine age in Ep 2. Palpatine was old in Return of the Jedi....No wonder he could not stop his fall.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM

627 posts, read 1,102,265 times
Well, no one really knows. He had technologies to keep people alive, which is why Anakin decided to serve him. He lost his mother and thought that he would be able to learn how to keep Padme from dying as he saw her die in a vision he had.

But according to the analysis done on him by Qui Gon and Obi Wan, he had the highest midi-chlorian count ever recorded.

Darth Sidious aka The Emperor's midi-chlorian count has never been discussed in any of the episodes. So whether or not he or Anakin/Vader were the most powerful is not known, but I would say that Darth Vader was and somehow, Darth Sidious knew it. He capitalized on it when he was left to die by Obi Wan. He created a life support system that he used to keep Anakin alive and loyal to him.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM

627 posts, read 1,102,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I don't see how someone as powerful as the Emp could not stop or slow his fall with the force, has wasnt even hurt or injured when Vader threw him over. Just bad story telling, really. I also don't buy into the vast SW mythos that Lucas "created", I belive he had a clear vision for the first movie and perhaps the second, the rest he "reverse engioneerd or made up as he went along (not unlke LOST). I think the SW universe is just a pale shadow or great living bodies of work created by masters like Tolkien or Roddenbury & fans.
I beg to differ. If you notice, when Darth Vader grabbed him, the energy he was releasing was interrupted by Vader and it circulated around both their bodies.

It was so powerful that it killed Vader so it must have done some serious damage to the Emperor as well.

Vader dropped as soon as he threw the Emperor down the shaft and the power was still looking for a way out. Since it did not find one, the magnitude of it killed him.

On his way down the shaft, the already weakened Emperor was met with even more power from whatever he touched at the bottom.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
Well, no one really knows. He had technologies to keep people alive, which is why Anakin decided to serve him. He lost his mother and thought that he would be able to learn how to keep Padme from dying as he saw her die in a vision he had.

But according to the analysis done on him by Qui Gon and Obi Wan, he had the highest midi-chlorian count ever recorded.

Darth Sidious aka The Emperor's midi-chlorian count has never been discussed in any of the episodes. So whether or not he or Anakin/Vader were the most powerful is not known, but I would say that Darth Vader was and somehow, Darth Sidious knew it. He capitalized on it when he was left to die by Obi Wan. He created a life support system that he used to keep Anakin alive and loyal to him.
Those were lies...Palpatine could never keep people from dying. Yoda told Anakin the truth about death. It was a natural part of life. I will say that Palpatine may have had some control over the functionality of the breath device in Anakins suit though.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
I beg to differ. If you notice, when Darth Vader grabbed him, the energy he was releasing was interrupted by Vader and it circulated around both their bodies.

It was so powerful that it killed Vader so it must have done some serious damage to the Emperor as well.

Vader dropped as soon as he threw the Emperor down the shaft and the power was still looking for a way out. Since it did not find one, the magnitude of it killed him.

On his way down the shaft, the already weakened Emperor was met with even more power from whatever he touched at the bottom.
Well I would say that Palpatines power destroyed Anakins breathing system, causing him to use his old burnt up lungs to breath. His old burnt lungs could not take the unfiltered air....so cause of death would be lack of oxygen?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM

You guys should check out Star Wars - The Legacy Revealed.

‪Star Wars-The Legacy Revealed Part 1‬‏ - YouTube (http://youtu.be/iSjod2JTy1g - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies