U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times

Advertisements

"Lords of the Ring" - Love the book, Love Tolkien, hated the film. Bad CGEs and an overload of them.

"Pirates of the Carribean"- Excruciating scripts. A waste of J Depp's talents ( I like the character of J Black but sadly one character does not a good film make. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom at their worst.

"Star Trek". Never got the appeal

"Star Wars". Never got the appeal

"Inception". The concept had a fabulous potential which to me was totally wasted. No way near as clever as it tought itself . Pretentious beyond belief. A movie I had huge expectations for and thus the disappointment was only the greater for it.

"The English Patient". So boring I would have rather watched paint dry. Pretentious and overblown.

"Dune". Hated the book, hated the film.

" Top Gun". Utterly ridiculous piece of trash.

"James Bond" franchise. Never got the appeal.

Most Hollywood over-hyped films. Most science fiction films. Most romantic comedies. Most Martial Art films. Most "macho-jingoisitc crap" films.

To me the script and acting talent are the most important.

I tend to enjoy small budget Indie of foreign films best. I like movies which tell a story and tell it well.

Movie making to me is about a narrative and I don't need big names or special effects. In fact a lot of the time these actually detract from a film.

Movie making is an art and I often feel that Hollywood is to cinema what fast food is to gastronomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I also can't stand James Bond movies. Every single person I know thinks they are wonderful classics, and they have all kinds of opinions on which actor to play James Bond was better than the others. Who the heck cares---they all S. U. C. K.

Ugh, I probably suffered through 8 or 9 of the 18,000 James Bond movies, and hated them all.

I think I'm the only one on the planet who feels this way.
Bond, James Bond. I love the films, but different stripes I suppose

Quote:
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought: Forrest Fricking Gump.

I don't understand the love of this movie. I guess it's folksy or something. "Life is like a box of choc-o-lits" omg, WHATEVER!!!

Alls I know is, the movie should have ended just before he started running. I felt like I wanted to run out of the movie theater and across the country too! Whatever would get me away from it!!

I think Baby Boomers really like this movie because they get to see all that beloved 60s stuff played out through Gump's eyes.
I'm 40, so I feel like I've had my fill of all that.

Bingo! The movie just brought out the nostalgia of viewers. It wasn't horrible, it had its moments, but it might be the most overrated film of all time.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM

253 posts, read 155,638 times
I LOVE Top Gun! Especially the volleyball game part, heh heh. I can't believe some of you don't like it, I'm crushed!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
I have expressed my sincere hatred for Tom Cruise in another thread, so I won't add to that here. But I hated Top Gun too, and only party because of Tom Cruise, even when I was 17 when the movie came out.

That woman who was the leading lady was unattractive, and she seemed almost old enough to be Cruise's mom! They had absolutely no chemistry together.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
Oh, here's another one that people will crucify me for:

The Graduate

Love the music by Simon & Garfunkel, but hate the movie.

It's another one of those movies that people oooh and aaah about, and that always makes the lists of the best movies ever. I just don't get it. Stupid story. Unsympathetic characters.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
Pretty Woman
Only good looking *****'s get to be Cinderalla's. The movie was irritating, insulting and a sad commentary on life and people/movie audiences

Bridges over Madison County
This woman who's bored out of her mind after marrying a man she didn't really love to get out of war torn Italy INSISTS that this man love her knowing she won't leave with him and basically ruins the rest of his life just so she has some good memories to suck on while she plays the martyr. Selfish *****.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,593,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
^^ this and Harry Potter! I hate both of them! I also hated Dinner for Schm*cks!! That was horrible!!
Really? I like Harry Potter. It wasn't like Twilight where "I'll write whatever comes to my mind" but Harry Potter seems more planned and prepared. If there's a plot and it's a good one with decent/good actors, I'm up for it.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
For me, it's E.T.

I remember seeing it when I was about eight and my friends (girls) were BAWLING. I was (and still am) completely perplexed by the emotional reaction that people/kids have to it.

I thought "Gertie" was really annoying when she screamed at the E.T. (still do) and I never got really emotional when the kids flew at the end. I also could have cared less when E.T. went home. In fact, I was relieved/happy for him that he was able to finally go home and get away from screaming Gertie and the F.B.I. And I still don't understand what was so funny about the E.T. loving Reeses Pieces.

I don't hate the film; I just think that it's sentimental and cheesy and I never felt the connection to it that other people seemed to.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,122,282 times
The Hangover-This poor re-write of Very Bad Things was just not funny. At all. I can't believe a sequel was made, and people paid money to watch the exact story over again.
The Matrix-Boring and I just can't take Keanu seriously.
Inception-I didn't really hate this one, but I thought it was overplayed and rather boring. And I think Ellen Page is a really, really lousy actress.
Where the Wild Things Are-That Max was such a horrible little brat.
Schindlers List-Overtly sentimental Spielberg story that downplayed how Schindler profited off the war and the Holocaust.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,122,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This isn't just one movie, but a whole genre that I hate, but everyone else loves:

Anything with a combination of talking animals, magic, and British children. Add in a dragon, an elf, a wizard, or an evil overlord, and that makes it exponentially worse in my book.

This includes:
any Narnia movie (ugh)
any Lord of the Rings movie (yech)
Pan's Labyrinth
Eragon
The Golden Compass

The only exception, in my book, (my book of hate that is) is the Harry Potter series.
Completely agree, but I also hate the HP series with a passion. And I absolutely loved Pans Labryinth (Spanish, not British).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or