U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
371 posts, read 973,315 times
Reputation: 565

Advertisements

1. I'd say musicals, but apparently many don't like them so maybe that doesn't fit the OP.
2. The Godfather - One of the best films of all time.....but I hate it. Wouldn't even give the sequals a chance. Liked the book though.
3. Scarface - No, I like Pacino plenty, he just happens to be in two movies I hate.
4. Close Encounters OTTK - Big, popular 70's movie. To bored to see how it finished.
5. The Exorcist - I love horror movies and this seems to top every horror buff's "must see" list. I saw it once, that was more than enough.
6. Any Woody Allen - Just don't get his "genious".

There are plenty of movies I liked in the past but would rather watch QVC (I don't like QVC) now:
Wizard Of Oz, Rocky, Star Wars, Willy Wonka, Old Disney Movies, T&A comedies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: NY, NY
1,190 posts, read 1,386,557 times
Reputation: 1178
Forrest Gump - enough has been said by everyone else but I really think if you are not part of the Baby Boom generation, you just do not see the "greatness" in this film.
The English Patient - snooze
Shakespeare In Love - Gwynenth Paltrow has to be the most over-rated actress working today
American Beauty - again, just boring and self-indulgent
A Beautiful Mind - HATE how they whitewashed John Nash's life
Crash - Did not deserve the Academy Award nomination, nevermind that it won the damn award
Up In The Air -I found George Clooney rather unlikable in this picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Arizona
3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
1. I'd say musicals, but apparently many don't like them so maybe that doesn't fit the OP.
2. The Godfather - One of the best films of all time.....but I hate it. Wouldn't even give the sequals a chance. Liked the book though.
3. Scarface - No, I like Pacino plenty, he just happens to be in two movies I hate.
4. Close Encounters OTTK - Big, popular 70's movie. To bored to see how it finished.
5. The Exorcist - I love horror movies and this seems to top every horror buff's "must see" list. I saw it once, that was more than enough.
6. Any Woody Allen - Just don't get his "genious".

There are plenty of movies I liked in the past but would rather watch QVC (I don't like QVC) now:
Wizard Of Oz, Rocky, Star Wars, Willy Wonka, Old Disney Movies, T&A comedies.
Definitely agree with the Woody Allen comment, makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Reputation: 3289
Any movie with a kid as the main character. It's rare that a kid can carry an entire movie. Also, the dialogue throughout tends to be of the "he's/she's so cuuuuute" variety with very little substance.

The only exception, IMO are the Home Alones (first two). MacCauley Culkin had star quality.

Otherwise I tend to prefer non-mainstream movies. Gritty ones like "Clerks". Yeh.

For the reasons given above that would include ANYTHING Disney (gag..sickly sweet..blurp). And the actors who sold out to them, Nic Cage, The Rock, Eddie Murphy etc. Did Disney chop their balls off or what ???

Last edited by Bandon; 07-19-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Reputation: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Any movie with a kid as the main character. It's rare that a kid can carry an entire movie. Also, the dialogue throughout tends to be of the "he's/she's so cuuuuute" variety with very little substance.

The only exception, IMO are the Home Alones (first two). MacCauley Culkin had star quality.

Otherwise I tend to prefer non-mainstream movies. Gritty ones like "Clerks". Yeh.

For the reasons given above that would include ANYTHING Disney (gag..sickly sweet..blurp). And the actors who sold out to them, Nic Cage, The Rock, Eddie Murphy etc. Did Disney chop their balls off or what ???
Both adaptions of "True Grit," although Kim Darby was actually much older than her role in the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 AM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,122,282 times
Reputation: 3209
Movies based off of comic books-Spiderman, Batman, Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, etc. They're..all...the...same...

300 was a testosterone orgy with little substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
I never thought "Blazing Saddles" was funny. And I never successfully made it all the way to the end, sitting through a Woody Allen picture.

I just looked through IMDB's list of the top 250, and in their top 50, I only saw 4 titles that I might have put in my top 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
 
7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
Reputation: 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never thought "Blazing Saddles" was funny. And I never successfully made it all the way to the end, sitting through a Woody Allen picture.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
 
9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
Reputation: 21953
I always say that Woody Allen's work is like sushi:

There is a small handful of people who actually like it, even love it, but a there's a huge number of people who say they like it, or even convince themselves they do, because they believe they're "supposed to" like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,871,512 times
Reputation: 1417
The Notebook- Every woman loves this movie, but I don't! I actually don't hate it and I like Rachel McAdams.

Gone With the Wind- I get it was a classic, but to me it wasn't even one of the best classics. It was enjoyable to watch once, but something about it irks me the wrong way.

The Hangover 1 & 2- I think this movie just appeals to a certain type of humor. When I first saw the Hangover, I thought it was kind of funny, but I wouldn't watch it again. I tried watching the second one, but I just ended up getting a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top