U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
What was the error?
Tom Hanks has never been in space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,866,204 times
Armageddon with Bruce Willis. That movie made huge mockery of science.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
This thread reminds me of a funny story.

A few months after the first Star Wars movie came out, director George Lucas was speaking at a college University on the subject of science fiction in the cinema, as well as some of the problems that go into that. So, after he finished his talk he opened the floor for questions. Immediately, a couple dozen hands were eagerly raised. But before he called on anyone, Lucas said, "Before I answer any questions, I just want to state that, yes, I KNOW there is not really any sound in outerspace.
All but a couple hands went down.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,463 times
Most of the time, I am able to shut off the part of my brain that immerses itself in science and just enjoy movies and TV shows for what they are.

Other times, there are "PEW PEW" lasers being dodged in space.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
This thread reminds me of a funny story.

A few months after the first Star Wars movie came out, director George Lucas was speaking at a college University on the subject of science fiction in the cinema, as well as some of the problems that go into that. So, after he finished his talk he opened the floor for questions. Immediately, a couple dozen hands were eagerly raised. But before he called on anyone, Lucas said, "Before I answer any questions, I just want to state that, yes, I KNOW there is not really any sound in outerspace.
All but a couple hands went down.
LoL, reminds me of this video from the 4:10 mark

‪Snl skit Jerry Seinfeld and Adam sandler‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
One scene I recall vividly, and recognized as scientifically impossible when I was in high school, was in "Incredible Shrinking Man". When he was attacked by a spider, he killed the spider by forcing a sewing pin up into its underside. A spider is not heavy enough to be impaled on a pin under its own weight, and in any case, the softest part of the arachnid body is the abdomen, which would not access a vital organ.

I doubt if it was the movie's fault, I think Richard Matheson wrote that scene in the book that the movie was based on, which was highly praised for its philosophical speculation, and was not intended to be sci-fi.

There is also a scene where he, insect size, is swimming in water, making normal splashing and waves, but because of surface tension of water, he would just float on top without getting wet, like a waterbug. He also wore incredible shrinking clothes.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-15-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,038,260 times
Plan 9 From Outer Space>>>>>

‪plan 9 from outer space (trailer)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
How about all of them? Lets face it, science makes poor entertainment material.
That is true, with the exception of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:49 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
What was the error?
I'll bet it was the part where the astronauts are thrown forward after disengaging the main engines or something like that. I didn't like that part either and it seemed to violate Newton's 1st unless they fired retrorockets for some strange reason.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 AM

29,805 posts, read 15,203,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I'll bet it was the part where the astronauts are thrown forward after disengaging the main engines or something like that. I didn't like that part either and it seemed to violate Newton's 1st unless they fired retrorockets for some strange reason.
It was 1st stage separation and deceleration did in fact happen, several Apollo astronauts have commented on it. The prevailing theory is that it's due to the stack being compressed, then released.

Apollo 13 got it worse than most, due to a sequencer error - the retro thrusters on the 1st stage (small rockets firing upward, to push the spent stage away) fired before the explosive bolts separated the stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or