U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM

954 posts, read 1,478,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
In the Mel Brooks film Spaceballs, they had LIGHT SPEED, RIDICULOUS SPEED, and finally something called LUDICROUS SPEED. It seems the whole world loves to openly mock science. The insolence!
"They've gone into plaid!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You said it! And what does professional wrestling on SciFy have to do with science fiction? The fiction part I get but science?
Steroids is where the science comes in to play.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
You said it! And what does professional wrestling on SciFy have to do with science fiction? The fiction part I get but science?
Nerds like rassling, I guess. Personally, I love the cheesy sci-fi movies. How one could not be excited by something like Sharktopus is beyond me.

I also have game I like to play where I try to guess what the "decent" actor in the piece is paying for by this role. For instance, David Keith was in Epoch. Was he trying to get some work done on his yard, maybe buy a night out at Ruth Chris' for the family, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,038,260 times
Quote:
It's ashame I used to like the channel when they showed Sci-Fi classics...now IMHO....they mostly show crap and as you say wrestling is Science Fiction...LOL...

Also look how the Learning Channel and Discovery Channel changed their formats and show mainly "junk now.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,788,877 times
I think the SciFy channel only exemplifies what is happening to all of television. The best time to watch any more is during a holiday when the producers just put on a long-running tape of old classics like The Twilight Zone and then go home.

I also recall that when cable first started the idea was there would be no commercials. Nowadays, there seems to be a 80 to 90% chance that, when you randomly turn to any cable channel, there will be a commercial on. That's like billboards on a tollroad.

It's not surprising that Americans do not recognize wrestling from science. Years ago I had the opportunity of judging a middle school science fair. Most of the projects were social science instead of natural science. These kids have grown up to be Hollywood producers I guess.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It's ashame I used to like the channel when they showed Sci-Fi classics...now IMHO....they mostly show crap and as you say wrestling is Science Fiction...LOL...

Also look how the Learning Channel and Discovery Channel changed their formats and show mainly "junk now.
The Learning Channel is so awful.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
To be fair to the SyFy Channel, there is a science to wrestling and it is scripted with made up characters so it is also fiction.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,463 times
Syfy makes me sad. I grew up on Sci-Fi Fridays and Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathons. Their programming only actually has ONE show (Eureka) that is actually in the genre of science fiction. Everything else is reality or paranormal or both.

Then again, I am a bitter Stargate fan so I'm not happy with them for many reasons.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiekiwi99 View Post
Yeah all those movies with huge, impressive and LOUD explosions in space. But hey, Hollywood has to sell to the masses and people expect explosions to be noisy.
I can't remember the movie or show, but there is a most effective shot of a ship disintrigating in space afer an attack, from the distance of an escape pod, in total silence which dramatically worked beautifully. Most directors know it's silent but *audiences* want to hear something so they use a cover of musical score.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
But the air inside their spacecraft would ignite.
True. And as long as there is atmosphere, things will burn. You won't have a big kaboom like explosion, but one inside which will breech atmosphere inside the ship, then the segmens of it broken apart will glow with heat for a moment and it will wink out to darkness.

If you're not in your escape pod going the other way your dead before the main blasts, of course.

A lot more tv and movie productions stick to this now since more people do know, and it still looks cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or