U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times

Advertisements

Third Reich, the two part History channel documentary on the rise and fall of Hitler, but about how the German people allowed it to be and how they paid. Largely new film, mostly from people's home moviies, with the point of viiew segments where it establishes what you, as a German of that time would know (very valuable as people who know the whole picture see things differently)

Also chime in on World at War, very sparce and powerful.

And the the Ken Burn's documentary 'The War' about three small American towns and how the War changed them and those in them. Not about the big picture but an amazing work. this is available on netflix streaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Third Reich, the two part History channel documentary on the rise and fall of Hitler, but about how the German people allowed it to be and how they paid. Largely new film, mostly from people's home moviies, with the point of viiew segments where it establishes what you, as a German of that time would know (very valuable as people who know the whole picture see things differently)

Also chime in on World at War, very sparce and powerful.

And the the Ken Burn's documentary 'The War' about three small American towns and how the War changed them and those in them. Not about the big picture but an amazing work. this is available on netflix streaming.
I love his work, he is a very gifted ducumentarian, and his work has really reignited the genre. His Civil War series is truly remarkable, and is also available streaming on Netflix. I have yet to see the WW series, I imagine that it is just as good.

He supposedly has a new documentary coming to PBS this fall about Prohibition that I simply cannot wait to see!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,680,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I love his work, he is a very gifted ducumentarian, and his work has really reignited the genre. His Civil War series is truly remarkable, and is also available streaming on Netflix. I have yet to see the WW series, I imagine that it is just as good.

He supposedly has a new documentary coming to PBS this fall about Prohibition that I simply cannot wait to see!
I loved it! Excellent work - I find myself really drawn to Ken Burns work. The Jazz one was amazing and I'm not even a fan of jazz music.

So this past weekend I watched Paradise Lost 3 about the West Memphis 3 and really found myself engaged with the whole documentary process and was able to really understand what went on with the WM3.

This thread is a little old so I thought I would resurrect and see what others have as their favorite documentaries - it doesn't have to be history per se but engrossing and well crafted.

Suggestions?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 AM

527 posts, read 389,974 times
Harlan County U.S.A.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

696 posts, read 1,083,295 times
Food Inc. - Food, Inc. (2008) - IMDb

I am not an organic-food-loving hippie by any means and love more than my fair share of unhealthy crap, but this really was an eye-opener and wonderfully done!

This gets my vote for best documentary because this deals with a current and growing, actual social problem/issue instead of merely serving a colored-up version of a historical event that has already been done way too many times imho !!

Last edited by ronyusa; 01-31-2012 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Added comment...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times
"Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey"

"Crumb" - bio of "Zap! Comix" cartoonist Robert Crumb

Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Waiting for Superman

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,420,696 times
"The Sorrow and the Pity", a French made documentary about France in WWII, especially under the German occupation. Not sure if it's available on DVD. It caused a real ruckus in France when it came out, in the 1970's, I believe, with no holds barred coverage of French collaboration with the Germans during the war, contrary to the cherished myth of most French resisting the ocupation.
Also, as mentioned previously, the multi-tape " The World at War". It's unlikely to ever be bettered, given that many key personalities were still alive to be interviewed when it was produced. You also can't beat Laurence Olivier's narration.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM

278 posts, read 449,007 times
titanic - death of a dream, is one of the best docs ive ever seen on any subject.

Last edited by bradyischamp; 02-03-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
Anything by Errol Morris, period.

Gasland
Have you Heard from Johannesburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies